A better life through Quake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A better life through Quake

O.K. Working on my Quake 3 skills. Starting to tweak my comm settings according to what I've been reading on this forum. Now the question is ... how do I move like the pros? Is there a web site or info on special moves and their associated keyboard layouts? Saw someone backflip into a narrow slot under fire the other day ... very impressive. Maybe its back to the bots for me. Please help this wannabe.
    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

heh i wouldn't worry about backflips and stuff they are just fancy animations, if you don't belive me load up the first map in q3 and stand in front of the mirror and press backwards and jump at the same time. you should see yourself doing some nifty backflips : )

There are a few tricks you can learn like rocket/bfg/plamsa jumping to do them just face down and press fire and jump at the same time just make sure you have plenty of health and a bit or armour.

The best trick to learn though is strafe jumping simply run in a straight line and jump, as you jump press sidestep left then sidestep right on next jump etc etc. This will increase your speed a fair old bit and is useful if you are trying to run away from somebody.

Well have fun practising it can be a bit tricky to get those moves working at first but it helps a lot when u have them mastered

Fyrespray

------------------
    Celery 366 @ 550,Abit BM6, 128Mb PC100 Ram, G200 8Mb, AWE64 Gold, Win98SE.

Fyrespray

http://www.ukgamer.com
    http://www.ukgamer.com/columns.php3?author=9

Comment

Thanks Fyrespray. I've tried most of that. I kinda figured the flip was a normal animation but I was mightily impressed by this persons accuracy in back flipping into the narrow slot in the ground. I suppose they knew exactly where to stand awaiting a fight. I figured out strafe jumping during my first on-line game. It sure helped me stay alive for more than a few seconds. I've tried rocket jumping after voyeuring a game and watching someone doing this over and over, ad nauseum. I guess he was just bored because there wasn't anyone good enough to kill him. Didn't know the plasma gun will give you a boost. I'll have to try that. Rarely get hold of the BFG. I suppose you mainly use this boost for reaching hard to reach ledges versus when in a fight.
      Are there any other movement techniques? Favorite keyboard mappings? I've got lots of mouse buttons on my Logitech MouseMan Wheel but I like to use it for moving and attacking and I don't think it helps to clutter the mouse up too much.
      <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Well if you have all the basics its just practice really and learning your levels, if you can run around a level backwards you have a great advantage because as soon as somebody starts chasing you, you can just spin around and run away backwards shooting at them, they'll almost allways die if they keep chasing : ).

Also you want to remap your weapons so that they are very quick and easy to change, and u can also hit them straight away without scrolling through the list looking to find the right weapon, you'd be surprised what a differance decent weapon control can make.

<a href=http://www.barrysworld.com/guides/quake3/>Also check out SAS's QUake3 Guide</a>

It has quite a few useful hints and tips and is aimed more at newer player at the moment. One thing that will really inporve your game is a good cfg file there are a couple on this site to look at but its best to make your own cfg really so you can use the ones on this site as a template.

Happy Fragging

Fyrespray

------------------

Fyrespray

Comment

I've been doing quite a bit of practicing the last several days and just started running backwards last night. Getting better. Thanks for the S.A.S. link ... I hadn't seen that site yet. I've been using a .cfg file tweaked from specs acs48 documented earlier. Just finished retweaking according to what I read at SavageUK site. I'll try those after dinner. Keep em coming.
          Anybody else out there got the moves?

Comment

heh not quite what i meant, i meant more along the lines of weapon/chat config, here's mine if its any help

//Weapon/Control Binds

bind del "set gl vstr gl1;set lsplash vstr lsplash1;set close vstr close1;weapon 1"
            bind end "set gl vstr gl1;set lsplash vstr lsplash1;set close vstr close1;weapon 7"
            bind "pgdn" vstr gl
            set gl vstr gl1
            set gl1 "set gl vstr gl2;set lsplash vstr lsplash1;set close vstr close1;weapon 1;weapon 4"
            set gl2 "set gl vstr gl1;set lsplash vstr lsplash1;set close vstr close1;weapon 1"
            bind mwheelup "set gl vstr gl1;set lsplash vstr lsplash1;set close vstr close1;weapprev"
            bind mwheeldown "set gl vstr gl1;set lsplash vstr lsplash1;set close vstr close2;weapon 3"
            bind "mouse3" vstr close
            set close vstr close1
            set close1 "set gl vstr gl1;set close vstr close2;set lsplash vstr lsplash1;weapon 2;weapon 6;weapon 8"
            set close2 "set gl vstr gl1;set close vstr close1;set lsplash vstr lsplash1;weapon 5;weapon 9;weapon 7"
            bind "ENTER" vstr lsplash
            set lsplash vstr lsplash1
            set lsplash1 "set gl vstr gl1;set close vstr close1;set lsplash vstr lsplash2;weapon 5;weapon 9"
            set lsplash2 "set gl vstr gl1;set lsplash vstr lsplash1;weapon 5"
            bind shift "+movedown"
            bind alt "walk"
            bind kp_ins "+zoom"
            bind backspace "+button2"
            bind # "taunt"

I have an intellimouse explorer so backspace, and page down are really the 2 side buttons on my mouse, with this cfg i can get any weapon i want instanly without hunting for keys, thats the sort of thin i meant. If it looks a bit confusing it's not really, the mouse3 bind toggles my weapon between best long range and best short range weapon, you should be able to gigure out all the binds as long as you know that

Fyrespray

------------------

Fyrespray

Comment

O.K. Fyrespray, thanks. I'll try your key bindings after I test out these new connection tweaks. I'll be back after a bit of fraggin.

Comment

The backwards running is kick ass. I know there are a few sites that mention binding a key with a rear view button and then turning the controls around. Basically what this achieves is being able to run backwards but onscreen its as if you were running forwards. Then just hold the fire button down and you're blowing anyone away thats in front of you. Plus you can jump into little corners and such.

Comment

Hmm interesting idea but if your not looking at the person who is chasing you, its going to be hard to hit them. Not only will you not be aiming t the person you are being chased by, but you will not be able to see what they are throwing at you making it pretty much impossible to avoid any of their shots. I think you would be better off spending your time learning the maps off by heary

Fyrespray

------------------

Fyrespray

Comment

Those new connections settings didn't improve my lag. I guess I got to find one server to keep reconnecting to and test out various settings. I'm using a US Robotics 56K Voice FaxModem Pro and usually connect at 49333 or 50666. Too bad I can't use my DSL due to me being behind a firewall: I don't suppose there's a standard way to sneak this in.
                    I've been getting my arse kicked lately. Its just sad. Fyrespray, I edited in your key bindings and am about to give them a try. Do you (or anybody) know how to spawn all of the weapons so I can more easily test it out? I read somewhere (don't remember where) that you can do this in stand-alone mode.

P.S. Just found the command "/give all" but it says "cheats aren't enabled on this server". Maybe this was stripped in the shipping version. Anybody know?

[This message has been edited by xortam (edited 10 January 2000).]

Comment

Ok To enable cheats, first of all it has to ne a server that you are running, and then in the console type

\devmap Q3DM17

or whatever the name of the map that you want to use is, this will load up the specified map with cheats enabled. If you want to change the respawn time of weapons you need to use

\g_weaponrespawn 0

where 0 is the time till they respawn, 0 denotes a weapon stay server. Hope that helps.

Fyrespray

------------------

Fyrespray

Comment

Say Fyrespray. Thanks for the tips. I've been spending some time deciphering the weapons scripts and merging features out of various .cfg files from the S.A.S. site. I've been getting the following error when executing the .cfg: "cbuf_InsertText overflowed". Do you know what this message means? Is there an upper size limit on the .cfg file size? line length? command string length? Is there any documentation on console error messages? Thanks again for your help.

Comment

Working...
                        X