NFS - High Stakes and G400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFS - High Stakes and G400

Im desperately looking for informations about config G400 for NFSHS in Direct3D mode.
    If anybody is so good and smart, please help!
    I have PIII450, Intel SE440BX-2 board, G400 - 16MB, and win95.
    Thanks!

Hi...yeah as you've found out NFSHS is optimized for Glide. This is the first NFS to support D3D and it does so barely. I know first hand because in addition to my G400 Max I have two Voodoo 2's in SLI config and NFSHS flies with them. The only way I was able to get decent frame-rates with the G400 is to go 10x7x16 and I actually got better rates with the z-buffer on. Make sure you're not set at 32 bit z-buffer on PowerDesk. If so, uncheck it. Also...Is your motherboard an "Intel" or just uses that chipset? That's important because one you can oc easily and one you can't. I might be able to show you how to REALLY speed things up, safely. Write back.

[This message has been edited by Shadowhawk (edited 12 January 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Shadowhawk (edited 12 January 2000).]

Comment

???

NFS-3 had already D3D support and NFS-4 runs like a champ over here ...

1024x768x32bppx32bZbuffer all visuals to MAX.

Make sure to run the 3DSetup once and select D3D as rendering device !!!

------------------
      Maggi

... sigh ... my third account in this BBS ...

Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
      Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
      be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
      4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
      2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
      OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
      4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
      Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
      Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
      LG BH10LS38
      LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Thank for help!
        Problem is that in 3Dsetup I can choose only SW renderer(I dont want) or "Direct3D Device1". When I choose this one, and start nfs after few seconds i get this message "EXCEPTION_ILLEGAL_INSTRUCTION
        CS=0000015F DS=00000167 ES=00000167 FS=0000228F GS=00000000
        EDI=00000000 ESI=00000000 EAX=00B8F444 EBX=00000000 ECX=00000050 EDX=00000000
        Eip=6001318C Ebp=00B8F430 Esp=00B8F420 SS=00000167".
        Also, I have installed Pdesk 5.30.007 and DirectX 7.0
        Bye!

Comment

And (i forgott) my MB is really Intel.

Comment

That warning is there to tell you that they really don't want to support D3D. Pay no attention to it and select it any. When you get into the game you'll see more options now. Be conservative..start with 640x480x16 with z-buffer on (advanced features have their own screen). Keep the headlighting simple, keep fog etc. off until you see how it runs, then add stuff in slowly until your framerate tanks.

If you have some money and two pci slots open, do this...Go to Electronic Boutique or other major computer retail store and buy two 3DFX V21000 Voodoo2 cards for $79.99 each and hook them together(instructions in box and very easy...2 minute install) You can find them cheaper at www.ibuyer.net under "video cards", subheading "pci cards". I buy local to support them. This will give you 24 mb of vram and astounding visuals with Glide. You'll probably find it's faster with OpenGL also. here's the cool thing...one year ago these cards sold for $229 EACH. If you play any other Glide based games i.e. any NFS, Ultima IX, Nascar 3, Nascar Legends, Unreal, Unreal Tournament,or OpenGL i.e. Halflife (3DFX Mini-GL), Quake 2 or 3 (Mini-GL also) you'll see HUGE improvements in gameplay and Glide makes NFSHS look WAY better. For a total of $160.00 you'll be loving life.

You can try the Matrox OC utility also but go easy unless you have a well ventilated case. WWW.3DFILES.COM has a "Tweakfiles" section. Go there for the utility. Let me know when you've read/tried this.

Comment

Its not possible - after this error message NFS stops and return to win! And - I dont have PCI but AGP card.
              Thank you!

Comment

Try running the update feature, making sure you're using the newest patches, and if that doesn't help (or if you have done it):

Do a full uninstall of NFS:HS and try reinstalling it (try it b4 ANY patches), and if that does not help, try reinstalling the Powerdesk xyz (whatever version you use) drivers. (Of course, use the uninstaller!)

Comment

Don't listen to shadowhawk, as he's getting a boot under his ass soon...

Check the registry, using regedit.
                  Goto My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Electronic Arts\Need For Speed High Stakes
                  and enter at 3D Card (double click it to change it): Direct3D Device1
                  Do this for 3D Device Description as well
                  Group should be at D3D
                  Hardware Acceleration set to 1
                  Triple Buffer set to 1

Reboot your PC after you've closed the regedit to let changes take effect.

Try it with that

Jorden.
                  Jordâ„¢

Comment

Thanx you all, but nothing helps, Im going sleep - tomorrow maybe....
                    Bye

Comment

Hi
                      I tried reinstalling my NFSHS to see if I missed something, but mine doesn't hang up after the warning. It goes into the program after about 30 seconds. I wish I knew more about the differences of your card vs my Max. Maybe some of the veterans here at MURC can help. I, like so many other people am really disappointed at the misleading box info on NFSHS. Either support D3D or don't, but don't do it half way. 16 bit is not a compromise I enjoy even with higher frame-rates in Glide. I talked to a guy a month ago at EA about it. We have similar systems and he admitted the D3D was a last minute decision on the design end because of the decline in 3DFX cards being sold and the advances in D3D. He said that when "NFS 5 Porsche" comes out he would be surprised if the 3DFX logo appears anywhere on the box. He also said that as they take more advantage of 32 bit depth that we'll see even BETTER visuals than there are now.

I had uninstalled NFSHS to make room for Battlezone 2 which, if you haven't tried, you should. EMBM is way pretty but hardware intensive.
                      Good luck and Happy Racing!!

P/S Why am I going to get a boot up my #$% ?! The info I gave was accurate even if I'm not as well versed in registry particulars. As a matter of fact, I just got off the phone with Matrox trying to help him but they said to ask EA. Oh well..I hope I helped in some small way. It's funny....I never played any Glide games until after I got my Max, then somemone turned me on to Nascar 3. Woo Hoo. That we need multiple cards to achieve the best visuals and framerates kind of sucks, but that's where the gaming world stands now.. Wait 'til Matrox unlocks the future potential of these cards. I'm psyched.

Comment

Hanybany, have you tried the following?

Updated the G400 bios to 1.5 ? (BIOS file)
                        Updated the drivers to 5.41 or above? (PD5.41)

Jorden.

[This message has been edited by Jorden (edited 12 January 2000).]
                        Jordâ„¢

Comment

This will not help you but you are talking about need for speed high stakes right? I didn't realize there was a problem with the G400 and nfshs, I installed the game,set the 3d device setup for direct 3d and ran the updater and it never missed a beat. As a matter of fact it is a awesome game i think I run it at 1280x1024 and everything on high and it is smooth as silk.Not trying to rub it in but that's weird that it works for me.I am also using the new beta drivers and DX7a.

------------------
                          Asus P2b(1010),P3 500,256 mb pc133,Matrox G400 DH,Asus 50x,Iomega zip,Mitsumi CDR,Ibm 10 gb hd,Sb Live,Win 98

Asus P2b(1011),P3 500,256 mb pc133,Matrox G400 DH,Asus 50x,Iomega zip,Mitsumi CDR,Ibm 20 gb hd,Promise ultra 66 controller,Sb Live,Win 2000 pro

Comment

andrei, it might be your guess of Win95...
                            Jordâ„¢

Comment

Yesterday i installed NFS4 and simply selected D3D device in 3D setup. At resolution 1024x768(z) 16 bit it was noticeable slower on G400(directX7) then on my Voodoo2 SLi(glide).

P2 450Mhz,G400DH 32MB not o/c.Voodoo2 SLI,sblive

bye

sorry my english stuff

Comment

Working...
                              X