G400 MAX Quak3 and UT performance Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400 MAX Quak3 and UT performance Question

I don't have a G400, but I am putting together a second machine, and was thinking about it.

I would like to know how it runs Unreal Tournament and Quake 3. My questions are for the MAX or the regular card with 32megs of RAM. I would prefer a response from someone with a MAX, it being the faster card, and better RAMDAC.

What kind of FPS in UT and Q3 at 1024x768x32 bit color? Does Q3DM9 stutter like it does with the Geforce with 32bit color, high textures "r_picmip 0"?

Thanks guys,
    Mike V

I know for a fact it does not stutter, as me freind Hex bought a G400Max and sent his GeForce back to solve the Q3DM9 stutter problem. As for benchmarks there are some floating about but it would probably be helpful if you told people what your system is. I take it your not really looking for P300 benchmarks it you have a P3 600

Fyrespray

------------------
    Celery 366 @ 550,Abit BM6, 128Mb PC100 Ram, G200 8Mb, AWE64 Gold, Win98SE.

Fyrespray

http://www.ukgamer.com
    http://www.ukgamer.com/columns.php3?author=9

Comment

Thanks. That's interesting. I'd like to hear if it runs smooth for others too. I have:

P3 500@560
      Abit BX6R2
      HotRod 66
      IBM 20gig ATA66(newest) x 2
      Pioneer 104s DVD
      SBlive
      Geforce SDR
      256 meg PC133 DIMM
      3COM NIC PCI

The other machine has the similar specs, minus the Geforce and ATA166/DVD stuff.

Mike

Comment

I have a Max as well as two Voodoo2's in SLI. Besides the obvious advantage of running a game optimized for 32 bit depth IN 32 bit and not 16 bit as with the SLI, the Max has much higher and smoother framerates. I'm getting framerates in the 40's with it set at 10x7x32, low models, high everything else, 3d sound off. I'm very happy with it. No matter how much activity on screen, it performs admirably. As far as Quake 3 goes, it GOES! Quake 3 I don't play as often but at 10x7x32 on normal I'm in the high 30's to low 40's. I can't see a visual difference in 32 or 16 bit depth, so I play at 16 bit and get mid to high 40's. TurboGL is one helluva sweet driver.
        Here's something else to consider, being you have a GeForce; I have 5 friends with GeForce cards (3 SDR, 2 DDR) and we have compared configs and benchmark results infinitum and my Max will beat the SDR cards every time and the visuals are the absolute best in the world. Period. And EMBM? yes, it does require an extra pass which slows some games down a little but if you haven't seen it in action you NEED to. I can't stress enough what a difference EMBM makes. The Max LOVES high speed cpu's. It loves most all overclocked cpu's even better. Get a load of this...In Wintune 98 I can REPEATEDLY get fillrates of 408 mpixels per second, and this is at a 1280x1024x16 desktop resolution!! The higher the res and the higher the cpu the more the MAx distances itself from the competition. I can't beat a DDR card. Then again, if what I've read about Hardware T&L existing in the Max but not enabled yet (which I believe) is true, what more could we want.

My specs: P3 500 @ 550mhz (110 fsb)
        256 mb PC-100 SDRAM
        2x Maxtor UDMA-66 (20 gig,13.5 gig)
        Matrox G400 Max
        2x Voodoo2 SLI @ 92mhz
        SbLive X-Gamer
        Mitsu 2020u 21"
        Intellimouse eye
        Creative FPS2000 Digital
        zoom 56k Dual Mode
        memorex 48x CD
        Wingman Force joystick

Get the G400 Max and get it now, damn it!

Comment

Working...
        X