Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Q3 screenshots problem with G400

Hey now,
    when I use the TurboGL driver and the 5.41 drivers, Quake3 will not let me take screenshots - all I get are images with "static" in them. However, when I rename the opengl32.dll file and use Quake 3's built-in OpenGL, screenshots work fine. TurboGL gives me a %50 fps boost over Q3's OpenGL; does anyone know of a fix to this problem (besides using q3 opengl)???

------------------
    Joe
    a.k.a. "The Mellonhead"
    Joe
    a.k.a. "The Mellonhead"

Well, as much as I can guess, TGL has only partial OpenGl functionality... take your shots without it. If they try to add more OpenGL functions it will lose speed.
    p3-500, 128mb, g400max, wd hd, promise, 3com

Comment

That really strange, though. I have taken screen shots of the released Q3 using the latest TGL, with no problems whatsoever, other than the fact that with this combo, I can no longer alt-tab between Windows and the game. However, I'm running it with a P3. If you're not, maybe the problem is due to the difference between the TGL for P3 and whichever one you use.

------------------
      Ace
      "..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
      Gainward Ti4600
      AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment

Ace,
        I am running:
        P3-450
        256MB of PC100 RAM
        G400 (not overclocked)
        Maxtor 17GB HD, Quantum 10.2GB HD
        etc. etc.

...I can alt-tab between windows and q3, but I have to alt-tab a few times to successfully get back to the game.

Anyway, thanks for letting me know!

------------------
        Joe
        a.k.a. "The Mellonhead"
        Joe
        a.k.a. "The Mellonhead"

Comment

Are you running the latest Powerdesk drivers (5.41) and the latest turboGL with the released Q3A? That's the setup I have, and it won't allow Alt-Tab to work. If I try it, nothing happens.

On the other hand, using the PrintScreen button, I'm able to capture the current screen to the clipboard, and then I just paste it into a suitable application. I've tried Paint, PhotoShop 5, and PaintShop Pro 5.. all seem to work fine- just need minor adjustments to the brightness is all.

------------------
          Ace

System specs:
          Gainward Ti4600

Comment

Ace,
            yes, I am using the latest 5.41 Powerdesk and the latest TGL drivers. I thought about the print_screen button for screenshots, but only being able to take one at a time isn't worth it, especially since I play Quake3 regularly and like to take screenshots of matches when my college plays another.

A new thing started happening to my system today, MASSIVE overheating problems! I can't use my machine for more than a few minutes, even just browsing the internet, nothing too CPU intensive, and my G400 is too hot to touch. Keep this is mind - my case is off, I have an extra fan, a fan added onto my G400's Heatsink, and there is plenty of airflow. The memory chips and the heatsink on the G400 get extremely hot, although my CPU's heatsink can be held in the palm of my hand no problem. I hope is is not a hardware problem as my financial resources are significantly less than Bill Gates'. :-)

I am also getting weird graphic artifacts in Quake3 now, so I am going to uninstall 5.41 drivers, re-install them, and see if that clears up anything. If I still get overheating problems, I am going to try a socket 7 board. Who knows, my mobo may be causing some/all of this. (sigh)

When it rains, it pours, right? :P

------------------
            Joe
            a.k.a. "The Mellonhead"
            Joe
            a.k.a. "The Mellonhead"

Comment

Sorry to hear about your problems, Joe. Are you overclocking the card? The reason I asked is that I had similar experiences when I pushed my Max too far when overclocking. All such problems vanished when I backed off a little on the settings.

------------------
              Ace

System specs:
              Gainward Ti4600

Comment

Ace,
                Nope, no overclocking here...I am so late replying because my system was so quirky I had to take it in to work to troubleshoot it. I figured out the problem. It turns out that (most likely) my G400 is bad. I took it in to my computer workplace, and a guy there also bought a G400, the memory on his was bad from day 1. Granted, mine didn't show up until a week ago, but the card is only 2 months old and he described the exact same symptoms to me. I showed him what my system was doing, and we agreed it has to be the card itself.

I tried disabling bus mastering, all bios settings are correct, I tried reinstalling Matrox drivers, I even took out EVERY card in my system save the G400 - lockups still occur. I verified that my memory, CPU, motherboard, and hard drives are all working properly. Thank goodness my boss is a great guy and let me trouble shoot it there (where I had other memory chips, CPUs, mobo's, etc. to try)!

So, now I get to make a looooooong distance phone call to Canada to try to get an RMA number, unless Matrox has an 800 number I don't know about for Technical Support. :-(

------------------
                Joe
                a.k.a. "The Mellonhead"
                Joe
                a.k.a. "The Mellonhead"

Comment

Working...
                X