BattleZone 2 - your experiences..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BattleZone 2 - your experiences..

I recently picked up BZ 2 and so far it plays very well on the G400 Max. Bump mapping seems to give me a hit or around 8-10 FPS when enabled. I can run the game smoothly for the most part at 800x600 with most of the options set to medium qualities.

I just wanted to see what others have experienced with this game and what you think of the bump mapping support..
    My CPU: Celeron433@488
    Abit BE6 V.2
    SB Live! Value LW3.0
    G400 Max 32MB/Voodoo2 SLI
    256 MB PC-100
    24GB WD 7200RPM
    True 52X Kenwood CD/Memorex 6x CDRW

Best Part-- Klipsch Promedia 400Watt 4:1 Speakers System

I think the bump mapping is nifty, and i doesnt kill performance too much although the slow down is definetely annoying.

My P3-600 has problems keeping the game smooth at 800x60016 with most options at max except light sources, shadows. My G400 Vanilla is at 160/200 and it's still so slow.

The graphics are great and all but the game doesnt seem very optimized. Also annoying is that when I select a unit I get this big zoomed in version that pops up on the lower right, very very odd. It slows the crap out of the game too.............

------------------
    ABIT BH6 rev 1.0, Pentium III SL35D 450MHz -> 600MHz, 192MB PC100 SDRAM @ 133MHz, Toshiba 6X DVD,
    Matrox Millenium G400 DH @ 160/200, Creative SBLive Value, 3Com Fast Etherlink XL PCI
    Supermicro SC701A ATX 300watt TurboCool PC Power & Cooling PS, Panasonic Panasync S17
    Last edited by dneal; 20 May 2022, 09:09.

Comment

Man this game needs a patch real bad.
      The gaming engine is not that efficient now is it? I get alot of clipping when I choose a unit. Overall its a nice game, too bad you need a cray to run it. I wonder what the designers used to code this sucker? 800x600 really sucks. From what I have seen there is no PC that can run this game in higher resolutions

------------------
      PIII-450@504, 128 HDSRAM, Asus P3BF, G400/32, SBLive!,Brand stinkin' new Sony G400 19", (no Dual head) Nokia 447Xi 17",AOPEN DVD-1040 10x slot,PLEXTOR 8x4x32 ATAPI CD-RW,PromiseULtra66, and some fish,

Comment

Bump-mapping in BZ2 looks very good, but the performance hit in the games that have supported it is too much, Speedbusters in particular. I haven't seen DK2 bumped and I'm not sure if it's working as of the last patch. Either the developers aren't coding the bump-mapping properly, or it really does eat up your vid and cpu power. Either way, it's a good idea poorly implemented. I prefer to play games at 10x7 and don't want to drop res just to add the bumping. FYI I'm running:
        Athlon 630 (105MHz bus)
        Asus K7M
        Quantum Atlas 10K
        192MB PC100
        G400Max (not o/c)
        SB Live Value (LW 3.1)
        Plextor Ultraplex Wide
        Win 98SE

Comment

Boy am I disappointed! I may not have the fastest machine on earth but I was expecting way better performance from BZ-2. Collision avoidance, what collision avoidance?! I can zoom through all kinds of s$%t. Telephone pole in your way? No problem, go right through it. So many bugs! The worst voice acting of any recent game I can think of. What did they do, walk down the street and ask someone, "If you've got a couple of minutes could you sort of impersonate a Russian?" I have a friend who's Russian, he was on the floor in hysterics. And my machine CRAWLS with EMBM on at 800x600x16, and that's ONLY on VEHICLES folks!! Can you imagine if EVERYTHING was bumped? Actually, when I bought the game I THOUGHT everything WAS bumped. I should have read the fine print on Pandemic's thread. My f$%kup. I was SO anxious to get this game! And what makes me madder is Pandemic had a previous BZ to use for a design base. It's not like this is something NEW after all, 3D or no 3D. So now we all wait for a patch...or six. Or maybe bring it back to EB.

Here's my specs:

P3 500 at 560mhz
          Abit BE-6
          256 mb Corsair pc100
          G400 Max at 105% on Matrox OC
          2 3DFX V21000 in SLI
          Mitsubishi 2020u 21" monitor
          2-Maxtor UDMA 66 7200 rpm (20 gig,13.5gig)
          SBlive X-Gamer
          Memorex 48x CD
          Creative FPS2000 Digital
          Wingman Force
          Intellimouse Explorer

Comment

here check this thread http://www.pandemicstudios.com/ubb/F...ML/003385.html

Shadowhawk, I bought mine at EB also !!

------------------
            PIII-450@600, 128 HDSRAM, Asus P3BF, G400/32, SBLive!,Brand stinkin' new Sony G400 19", (no Dual head) Nokia 447Xi 17",AOPEN DVD-1040 10x slot,PLEXTOR 8x4x32 ATAPI CD-RW,PromiseULtra66, and some fish,

Comment

Thanks LAM, That was a great link.
              Now I have to run /trackfps to see how snail-like I'm doing.

"It's only a flesh wound"

Comment

After playing this game for awhile I remembered how good the first one was. This one is pretty dissappointing. No need to enable any type of frame counting, you can count them yourself. The demo brought my system to a crawl, and the discussions at the Pandi forum was that surely the released version will be highly optimized......yeah right.

As for the voices....c'mon, the woman in Homeworld is definitely the worst! I love that game, but it's clear the only time she read her lines through was as she was recording them. I find myself chuckling at her lack of urgency in the most dire situations. I was curious, and the voice of the Russian woman in BZII is Tasia Valenza......hmm.....

John

------------------

PIII450 => 504 MHz, Asus P2B, G400MAX, PowerDesk 5.41, Aureal SQ 2500 (Vortex2), Klipsch Promedia V2.400 speakers, DirectX 7.0A, Adaptec AHA-2940U2W and Fireport40 Dual UW SCSI controllers, Quantum Atlas 10K and WD Enterprise HDs, Plextor UtraPlex Wide, Plexwriter 8/20 CDR, the last ISA modem, etc.

Comment

OK...played around with it for awhile. Most of you have probably done this, but if I set TripleBuffer = 1 in the render.cfg, and leave bump mapping off, with all other options on, the game seems pretty smooth at 1024X768, 16 bit. Actually playable. Is it my imagination? Does anyone know of a benchmark?

My problem is with the sound. Anyone else have a Vortex2? The highs are really distorted...almost painful. All other games sound fine, so it's not my soundcard/speaks.

Back to fun.

Comment

how do you enable EMBM??? Where do i click??? Is there a patch???

Comment

Open your render.cfg file in BZ2 directory and take out the [;] in frount of bump. And watch your performance vanish..

[This message has been edited by LAMFDTK (edited 11 January 2000).]

Comment

Working...
                      X