Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High res in Descent Freespace II

Hi there!
    I succesfully solved my problems with QUakeIII, so let's see if someone can help me with Freespace II.
    I know FreespaceII can use hi-res (1024x768) instead of 640x480 (Freespace I was only 640)
    but when I detect the available modes it tells me that I can run it only 640 or 640@32 bit. I've updated the game (version 1.20) vith no results.
    My specs:
    P2BF with PIII 450Mhz - 392MB - SB Live with LiveWare 3.0 - G400 SH 16 MB (PD 5.41 and DirectX 7a) - Win 98 SE
    PIII@550Mhz - Asus P2BF - G400 SH 16MB - 392Mb RAM PC100 - Win98SE

Not. It doesn't work.
    Well I have to explain you that Freespace 2 "detect" available video modes within Windows, so the minimum resolution I can set is 640x480.
    I tried that way, it doesn't work.
    Maybe it needs more VideoRAM? Don't think so, all the other games works well with 16Mb.

Comment

Have you tried resolutions @16bit?
      Jordâ„¢

Comment

Yes, I tried also that.
        I thin kthat the problem is the "detect" method that freespace use.
        But since it use DirectX and DirectX has a specific command to retrieve supported resolution, really don't understand why it does not work.

Comment

gatito, I have freespace 2, i also have a G400 Max, i know that it isn't the same card you have, but i can run the game at 1024x768x32 without problems,I know this probably wont help you but i thought i'd tell you, in the detection screen, have you disabled checking for glide, or even at the bottom of the screen, perhaps disabling some of those options would help, ie. fast d3d textures
          Here is my system config:Athlon XP+ 2000, 1024MB SDRAM,EpOX EP9XA (or something)<b>Matrox Parhelia </b>
          WinXP Professional SP1
          Hercules Fortissimo III 7.1
          3COM 905C

Comment

Well, that was what I was on about with RCT as well. Been looking for that specific post and here it is:
            http://forums.murc.ws/ubb/Forum4/HTML/001737.html

Maybe it helps you

Jord.

------------------
            Matrox Users Rely on Cheese !!

Jordâ„¢

Comment

What is the screen-resolution you set your monitor to?

We've had a similar problem with Rollercoaster Tycoon, which could be solved by setting your monitor resolution to 320x200@32bit, thus freeing at that moment the resolutions above.

You could try this.

Jorden.
              Jordâ„¢

Comment

I am probably stating the obvious, but when you install Freespace II, you have to chose whether you want to install the extra data for 1024x768. I guess the resolution wouldn't be available if you didn't?

Comment

Good catch, CalCsc. That was what I was just about to point out. I'd suggest doing an uninstall/reinstall of the game, making sure to check the 1024x768 installation option in the process. I'm using a Max on a P3-450 o.c. to 558, and I can turn every graphics option all the way up in 1024x768x32 and the game is not only smooth as soft butter, it's gorgeous!

------------------
                  Ace
                  "..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
                  Gainward Ti4600
                  AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment

Working...
                  X