Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TurboGL and QuakeIII will not start!

Hi there!
    I'm having serious troubles using the turboG drivers from Matrox (the latest) with the game Quake III Arena.
    It starts, but before show the id logo, it show a white screen and return to Windows (98 SE) with all windows title bars white.
    Can anyone help me to use the turbo gl with Quake III ?
    PIII@550Mhz - Asus P2BF - G400 SH 16MB - 392Mb RAM PC100 - Win98SE

Hi Gatito,

What are your system specifics??

Until you respond with your system details (motherboard, processor, chipset, IRQ's, peripherals, RAM, etc.), you can try opening your case and let it cool, I get the same exact thing when my system is too hot, my tower sits in a cabinet, and when I forget to open up to allow cooling, this happens, so you may want to try getting your system a bit cooler to see if it cures it.

Rags

Comment

I don't think is a cool problem since if I delete the opengl32.dll (the turbogl one) from quake3 dir all works fine. but not with turbo gl.
      My system is :
      PIII 450 Mhz (no OC)
      Mainboard ASUS P2BF (bios rev. 1011)
      392 MB PC100 RAM
      Matrox G400 SH 16 MB

Comment

I experience the same problem. I've been upgrading my G400 drivers religiously, and trying each new TurboGL as it comes out.

The chip is an Athlon650, not sure what make the motherboard is.

When I start Q3, or Q2 with the TurboGL, I get a flickering white screen. If I start UT with TurboGL, I get a black screen.

Sound works fine.

D3D, and the old GL drivers work "fine" if you consider dog-slow to be fine.

I know I will never buy another Matrox product. All this driver changing for mediocre performance and incredible instability leaves me longing for the days of plugging in my voodoo card and having everything just work perfectly.

Comment

Hi Gatito,

I know that when you delete OpenGL32.dll in your game directory, it will work...IT DOES FOR ME TOO!!!! Why not try my suggestion??? It will take you ten minutes to try it max.

Hi van der leest,

Instead of not buying another Matrox product, you should probably buy a motherboard (read Intel) that you don't have to set up so many things for, because it is painfully obvious that is where your problems are coming from, not your Matrox card =)

Rags

Comment

I don't know that I've ever seen a 3dfx product work flawlessly. Hell, half the time I'm impressed to see them work at all (because they don't the other 1/2).

If you don't like your G400, van der leest, I'm in the market for one. You selling?

BTW, not knowing what kind of motherboard you have is a very bad thing. It might very well be the MB's fault. If things on that rig are running "dog-slow", it's almost certainly human error. But you wouldn't know.
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Damn! This place is great, but needs a FAQ!!
              Gatito, Install TurboGL for your processor. Go to the Q3A directory and look for OpenGL32.dll. Rename it(I just take the.dll off)Start Q3A, set to 800 X 600 X 32 in Setup.
              Exit Q3A. Rename the TurboGL driver(put the .dll back on)Play Q3A in any resolution you want.When you leave Q3A, set the resolution to 800 X 600 X32. And that is it.
              I use the 5.30 drivers, and have a great time. Deleting the OpenGl32.dll as Rags suggested will indeed get you into Q3A, but the above method will get the TurboGl to work, but all you need to do is rename it, go to 800X600X32, exit, rename it back to OpenGl32.dll, and play. Look at driver info in Setup, and it will say TurboGL for G400.

Comment

Thanks thanks thanks.
                Thanks Jwilliam.
                I also facing the same prob.
                But I think now solved aledi.

Comment

Thanks to all for the suggestion but especially to JWilliams for helping.
                  I had the same problem with the Quake III Arena demo, but starting the .exe with a /?
                  command line made it work ALWAYS with turboGL.

Comment

I know I will never buy another Matrox product. All this driver changing for mediocre performance and incredible instability leaves me longing for the days of plugging in my voodoo card and having everything just work perfectly.
                    Rags, Wombat, I see that you guys are being nice about this, and your suggestions are quite correct, but I'm just offended, myself (hey, at least I'm not wearing my hat...!).

So, van der leest, wtssmf are you doing here then??? Clearly we are unable to assist you... and even if we were, the supposedly 'lackluster'-- oh, excuse me, 'mediocre' performance of your G400 would not make it worth your while anyway. So sell off your G400 and buy a GeForce and f**k off, why don't you?

...incredible instability, f'godssakes!!! As if this is the PCChips of video cards. You want unstable video, buy yourself an HP Pavillion 6310 with an integrated SiS video chip... then you'll see "unstable"!!!!

And what do you call "good" performance, or even "excellent" performance? Obviously not the TNT2, the V3XXX or any of the other current cards, since the G400 equals or bests all of them... and it ain't all that far behind the GeForce, either.

Maybe you need to give up that Athlon and get a nice P200 and a couple of V2s. That'd give you stable and excellent performance (for what it is... which ain't much).

I really don't like people who spend a lot of money on high-end hardware-- all of which requires time and knowledge to get working correctly-- that they don't even bother to research enough to even know the make of their mobo (I mean there's only what, 7 Athlon mobos? It's not like it's the BX or SS7 chipset f'godssake!!), and then have the all-fired nerve to viciously insult the G400 to G400 users <u>on their dedicated forums</u>!!!!!

Who the ever-lovin' hell do you think you are????

Well, I wish I was that person, a sense of entitlement and ego that massive would surely do something for my world... till somebody kicked my @ss, of course...

And J. Williams, this place does have a FAQ; it's called the "Forum Survival Guide", and it's linked at the top of every forum main page.

... I oughta know, I wrote it.

Too bad van der leest didn't read it.

-------------------------
                    Holly

[This message has been edited by HollyBerri (edited 09 January 2000).]

Comment

Which mobos are you guys using? 5.41 driver doesn't work properly with Socket7.

Comment

Errr, Rob G.... Gaito did post his system specs and van der leest said enough to assure us all that he's not using SS7.

I don't mean to get on your butt for not reading before posting, but I'm just hot right now. Please excuse me; you'll get used to me if you hang around here for long .

-----------------
                        Holly

Comment

Yeah ok, my bad. I consider myself slapped and punished severely.

Comment

Van der Leest didn't do his name credit... (Leest = read)

And after this showdown from my honey - yes,yes, I'm already holding some icepacks close to her, for when she's this hot, errrr - I doubt if anyone is ever going to slag off the G400 or whatever Gx00 card in this thread again

Go Girl !! Cheese them off !!

Jorden.

------------------
                            Who needs a cookie when we got Gator and Cheese?

Jordâ„¢

Comment

Working...
                            X