The Temp.file syndrome....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Temp.file syndrome....

As has been posted here many times the MSPro temp files are normally located in C:\Windows\Temps and can cause "out of memory" errors if the C:\ drive fills up with them, which is easy since they can be huge. The fix has been to move the MSPro temps to their own directory on the capture drive.

What this does not cover, however, is the temporary files created by the Audio Editor if you use it during your edit sessions.

These files are also stored in C:\Windows\Temp and can also cause "out of memory" errors if they get too large. This is not as likely as with the video temps, but still it's possible. These temps do not get automatically moved when you set the Video Editors new temp file location so you have to do it manually.

The fix is to go into your autoexec bat and create the following entry:

set temp=D:\temps
    set tmp=D:\temps

I used D:\ as an example but you should use whatever drive letter is appropriate for your system.

Now both the audio and video temporary files will be placed off the boot drive preventing one more potential problem.

Credit this one to Charlie Hills, the MUG (MediaStudio Users Group) Administrator.

Dr. Mordrid

[This message has been edited by DrMordrid (edited 10-04-1999).]

Would this mean that everything that normally goes into the temp folder will be redirected?

Comment

As long as the program uses the Windows TEMP and TMP environment variables, yes. If the .ini file for that program (or hard coding) defines C:\Windows\Temp then it won't until you change it, if you can.

You can always track these down by watching these directories with a file utility while you use a given proggie.

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Tip for speeding up virtual memory in Windows:

If you have two or more physical disks in your pc, it generally a good idea to preallocate Windows swapfile (Virtual memory file) to a volume different from the boot drive. This will normaly increase Windows perfomance when using virtual memory.
        When the swapfile is preallocated, Windows dosen't have to expand or shrink the swapfile when Windows memory needs changes. Another benefit is that the swapfile stays unfragmentet, which gives overall better perfomance.
        A thumb af rule is to set the size of the swapfile to 2-3 times the amount of the installed physical memory.
        This applies to all Windows platforms: Win9x and WinNT.

J. Hjort.

Comment

Hi Uwe,

Unless you are low in physical memory, just let Windows handle it (what is there to handle in 0KB file, which modification time stays at startup time of Winblows ?)

If the system has several HD:s, it is a good idea to move it to some other physical HD than the boot HD.

Completely disabling Virtual Memory is not a good idea either, since some programs (Ulead Media Studio) seem to want it there, even if it's not used (one cause for Ulead to give "Out of memory" errors)

In configuring W9x, IMHO, the swap file and it's limits or lack there of, is quite low on the list of importance, once the system is otherwise properly configured, you don't even have to think about it.

When talking about NLE system, the Min/MaxFileCache, disabling Write-Behind Caching and minimizing the overhead are a lot more important than the SwampFile.

Best Regards,
          Pertti

Comment

As I understand it, limiting the maximum size of your virtual memory is good way to guarantee a crash if your computer ever needs to access more than you've give it.

For the purposes of MSP, my performance problems went away when I put my swap file on my biggest disk and let Windows do all the resizing.

- Aryko

Comment

Ah yes, the great swap file debate.
              I have tried every tweak ever suggested and some were great in the days of Win 95 and when I had two hard drives with Windows on an old dog and the swap file on a couple of generations newer drive.
              With 98, and a couple of new 7200rpm drives in my system, dont bother.

Comment

Hjort,

No offence, but the size recommendation is kind of ancient information, although it did help in W3x.

I have 256MB:s of memory in W95B, and unless I load 200MB:s worth of bitmaps into the memory, the swapfile is not touched at all.

Best Regards,
                Pertti

Comment

Hi Pertti,

I totally agree with you. But what do you think about the swap-file ?
                  Should it be permanent or not ?
                  Should it be limited or not ?
                  What size/limit should be used ?

I have 256 MB too and so far I didnĀ“t see any difference here because of some swap-file settings.

Bye, Uwe.

Comment

Working...
                  X