Unreal Tourney Image Clipping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unreal Tourney Image Clipping

Has anyone else noticed the clipping present in UT? Things on walls like to halway disappear (flickering as you change distance from them.)

What's up with this?

This has been noticed by others. As of yet, nobody has commented on any solutions to get rid of this effect, or even on whether the issue is being worked (either a game issue or a driver issue).

------------------
    Ace
    "..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
    Gainward Ti4600
    AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment

The clipping problem on the g400 has been there since Unreal got direct3d support and is somewhat rare anyway. It's probably a z-buffering problem, but it could be anything since Unreal uses a custom direct3d driver. My friends TNTU gets goofy texture corruption in UT sometimes, which I poke fun at him for it. I don't mind the minor clipping at all in pale comparison...

Comment

I noticed this too, but it's so minor it doesn't bother me.

------------------
        The Rock
        "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: His eyes are closed."
        -- Albert Einstein
        Bart

Comment

I gues Rock pretty much said it all, but let me just make a further comment :

The clipping problem is not rare, at least not on my computer. I get it constantly in the Turbine level.

When you buy your Matrox card to get superb 3D rendering, a Z-buffer problems like that (if it is Z-buffer prob.) kinds of removes the charm.

(didn't mean to bitch, but it seems I just couldn't help it ;-))

Torben R
          G400 news, info, downloads and mailinglist : http://TRsDomain.homepage.dk

Comment

Can't bitch at something free Wait untill the retail ships, then we'll all join ya in the rants...

Comment

It's minor everywhere but the Facing Worlds level, where it's intolerably bad on the two bases.

------------------
              ABIT BH6 rev 1.0, Pentium III SL35D 450MHz -> 558MHz, 192MB SDRAM @ 124MHz CAS2, Toshiba 6X DVD,
              Matrox Millenium G400 DH @ 160/200, Creative SBLive Value, 3Com Fast Etherlink XL PCI
              Supermicro SC701A ATX 300watt TurboCool PC Power & Cooling PS, Panasonic Panasync S17
              Last edited by dneal; 20 May 2022, 09:11.

Comment

Yep...kind of a drag when you think you've got a great sniper head shot, and all you get is cement because he's really behind a post.

Comment

Yeah, that does suck. These texture problems just get worse the farther you are away from whatever you are looking at.

Why, oh dear Matrox, does this happen?

------------------
                  ABIT BH6 rev 1.0, Pentium III SL35D 450MHz -> 558MHz, 192MB SDRAM @ 124MHz CAS2, Toshiba 6X DVD,
                  Matrox Millenium G400 DH @ 160/200, Creative SBLive Value, 3Com Fast Etherlink XL PCI
                  Supermicro SC701A ATX 300watt TurboCool PC Power & Cooling PS, Panasonic Panasync S17
                  Last edited by dneal; 20 May 2022, 09:11.

Comment

I have the same problem. The strange thing is that not all the G400 cards give this prob and there isn't any notice about it on the UT or Matrox site. No one is trying to fix this? :-(

ASUS P2B-F
                    Pentium Celeron 333 Mhz 128 Mb Ram
                    Matrox G400 32 Mb SH
                    Latest driver and DirectX 7 installed

[This message has been edited by Pistarino (edited 02 January 2000).]

Comment

I dont have anything new to say here.. I just wanna point out that I also have these problems... and as you all know, it seems to be Z-buffer problems... Just let me know when/if it is fixed

Comment

Matrox is aware of this problem, and have reproduced it in-house. It is on their "to-fix" list...
                        Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Kruzin:

Any idea exactly who's fault it is? I'm betting Epic.

The Rock
                          Bart

Comment

I don't know whose "fault" it is...

But I did figure out last night, that when using 32bit Zbuffer in PD, and high-detail textures in the game (which is strangly what really seemed to do it), that it got MUCH better for me. Still not perfect, but not nearly as much clipping...
                            Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

LOL.

You really hate this on Facing Worlds? I've found it to be an advantage when sniping on that map. Maybe because I can still see the outline of the sides of the columns, even though the rest of them is transparent. When someone attempts to hide from me behind the column, and then tries to sneak a shot one direction or the other from behind the post, I nail 'em about every time, since I can see which way he's moving when he tries to hide.

Despite this one nice advantage, I still hope Matrox manages to find a fix for the problem. Like The_Rock said, it's only a minor nuisance (read: bearable), but when a match gets a little slow, so that I'm not constantly running from, or shooting at, someone else, I still notice it.

------------------
                              Ace
                              "..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
                              Gainward Ti4600
                              AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment

Working...
                              X