Very poor performance with g400 max

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very poor performance with g400 max

I have a K3-III 450 on a Epox mvp3g-m m/b (via mvp3) 128mb,Creative pci128 s/c,U.S.Robotics 56k isa modem and a Linksys fast16 isa lan card. Agp apature set at 128 gives best performance. 5.30 drivers with TurboGL also helped. I am running Win98se with the shutdown patch (after losing a very large file i found out why i couldn't shutdown after installing the G400) from MS. I have installed the latest Via drivers and bios. Here are my benchmarks as well as my old benchmarks with the Voodoo3 2000 Pci in (--FPS). All are at 1024x768 and 32 bit color. Quake 2 benchmark on demo2.dm2 is 53 FPS vs (64FPS). Halflife using jumbot is 24 FPS vs (49FPS). Installing 5.30 drivers and TurboGL helped aabout 25%. My benchmarks on Direct3D games are even worse Expendable timedemo 23FPS vs (n/a). Forsaken MaximumPC benchmark 18FPS vs (95FPS). All using DirectX 7.0 I can return this card but would like to keep it if I can get it to work right. The colors are beautiful. Anybody got any Ideas. Please Help!!!!!

------------------
    Einstien"not"
    Einstien"not"

Does the G400 have an irq assigned? It needs one or it will run slow.
    Bill

Comment

I think you're probably CPU limited. The V3 is less CPU dependent than a G400 which explains part of it.

Comment

Bill's suggestion is good.

Eric, I know the G400 is processor dependent, but a K6-3 450 should be at least a decent performer.

Tony,
        Was the V3 in the computer before the Matrox card? 3Dfx is known for leaving remnants of its video card in files, and the registry. It can cause compatibility problems for other video cards, and possibly, slowdown.
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

irq is 11 along with a irq holder and yes the v3 was in there before but i just wiped the hard drive and reinstalled now my quake 2 is up to 56fps and my forsaken is up 87fps but expendable is only avg. 28fps. any ideas????

------------------
          Einstien"not"
          Einstien"not"

Comment

I don't have hard facts handly but when I went from a K6-2/400 to a Celeron 450 (using a Banshee) my fps in the H/L demo went from about 18-19 to about 28. That's about 50% faster with a CPU that's only 50 cycles faster.

With a C450 the Banshee was clearly holding things up but it was the other way around with the K6-2, it was simply atrocious compared to a similarly clocked Intel chip.

With a G400 things would just get uglier with a K6 chip. As a *wild* guess I think his K6-3 450's FPU is roughly equivalent to a Celeron 333, maybe less.

Comment

Tony,

Your old Voodoo3 wasn't able to do 32-bit color. If you want to compare the two then use 16 bit color on your G400 as well.

Comment

Working...
              X