TurboGL Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TurboGL Problem

I installed Win98, then the 5.41 powerdesk.

everything was working GREAT!

i installed turbogl and now quake just appears as black and white horizontal lines (i can hear sound).

everything was working fine until i installed turbogl.

thanks for your help.

-chad
    AMD Athlon 550MHz
    FIC SD11 (VIA Chipset)
    G400 32MB DualHead
    128MB RAM
    Diamond Monster MX300

by the way, i'm running:

32MB G400 Dual Head.

-chad
    AMD Athlon 550MHz
    FIC SD11 (VIA Chipset)
    G400 32MB DualHead
    128MB RAM
    Diamond Monster MX300

Comment

System specs would be helpful.
      But the first suggestion would be to try it with the 5.30 drivers. Some mobo chipsets don't like 5.41+TGL, but will work with 5.30.
      Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

AMD Athlon 550MHz
        Matrox Millenium G400 32MB Dual Head
        Diamond Monster Sound MX300
        FIC Motherboard (VIA Chipset)

will using the 5.30 powerdesk result in slower performance?

-chad
        AMD Athlon 550MHz
        FIC SD11 (VIA Chipset)
        G400 32MB DualHead
        128MB RAM
        Diamond Monster MX300

Comment

Slower than not working at all?
          Probably not
          Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

I guess you're right!

thanks for the help.

-chad
            AMD Athlon 550MHz
            FIC SD11 (VIA Chipset)
            G400 32MB DualHead
            128MB RAM
            Diamond Monster MX300

Comment

Hi Chad.. I'm running a similar setup as you are... AMD 600, G400Max, MX300 and the SD11 motherboard. I've pretty much decided all problems I'm having is related to this *very* picky motherboard. A couple things to check that have made my game more stable and run very well in fact...

Make sure your G400 is on it's own IRQ (not sharing with anything else). Mine was sharing an IRQ with my SCSI card. I had to physically move the cards around to get the G400 alone on IRQ11.

Install all the patches recommended on the FIC webpage. Very important is the AMD AGP miniport driver. Also, make sure you're using the latest BIOS for both your motherboard (607 is the latest) and your G400 (1.5.22?).

Also suspicious were the default Diamond MX300 drivers... I removed them and replaced them with the reference drivers from Aureal. (www.aureal.com). It's a big download, but hey, A3D works in Q3A now at least!

These are the things I've had to do and Quake will actually run fairly stably although I had one random lockup... I've also read that disabling bus mastering on your G400 can help... I haven't found any real connection between the AGP Aperture size and Quake3 running or not (in my experiene anyways). Mine is at 256 though.

Umm, anything else? What powersupply do you have? I've always wondered if any of my probs are releated to my 250 Watt power supply... it is Athlon approved but I would feel better with a 300 watt one. Your memory is also important, is it on FIC's approved list? I had a DIMM that worked fine elsewhere, but in the FIC it would only work in the 2nd DIMM slot. Very odd.

Well, hope this helps you out a little.

Comment

Is it Quake 1 ???
                if it is, I have the same problem, BUT this game is not in the list of the ones supported by the TurboGl (in fact it doesn't install himself in the directory, you have to do it manually), the ICD works well with Quake1 (but its a bit slower)
                Athlon64 4800+
                Asus A8N deluxe
                2 gig munchkin ddr 500
                eVGA 7800 gtx 512 in SLI
                X-Fi Fatality
                HP w2207

Comment

Variant,

Thank you for your help. I updated everything that you suggested (except for the A3D drivers), and got things working. I then updated the Chipset the other day, and suddenly my computer started freezing. I pretty much narrowed it down to the sound card, so I decided to download and install the 35MB A3D reference drivers, and suddenly everything works great, even TurboGL in Quake3.

Thanks again.

-chad

------------------
                  AMD Athlon 550MHz
                  FIC SD11 (VIA Chipset)
                  G400 32MB DualHead
                  128MB RAM
                  Diamond Monster MX300
                  AMD Athlon 550MHz
                  FIC SD11 (VIA Chipset)
                  G400 32MB DualHead
                  128MB RAM