Bad Opengl Performance in Homeworld

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad Opengl Performance in Homeworld

I have a K6-2 450, 128 megs sdram and G400 32 meg SH oem not overclocked. I am running the 5.30 powerdesk and using its opengl (can I install the turbogl for Homeworld manually?) Well i run the game at 1024 x 768, all high quality in opengl and I am getting audio stuttering during the opening movie. and during gameplay mouse is kinda jerky and slow. Should I just run it in D3d? Would the 5.41s be better? Agp2x is active and busmastering is working fine

------------------
    ***TRUST IN YOUR TECHNOLUST***
    <A HREF="http://jediphoenix.iscool.net/
    " TARGET=_blank>http://jediphoenix.iscool.net/
    </A>

I just run it in D3D mode. With HW, there is no noticable difference visually from OGL to D3D, and D3D runs much smoother.
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Don't you find that it crashes lots in D3D mode Kruzin?

I have stuck with OpenGL, and it doesn't crash, D3D crashes every time! OpenGL seems to have some nasty bugs in it on my machine though, the sensors view gridlines jump all over the place (has anyone else found this?)

Thanks,

Richie

------------------
      -------------------------
      Systems:

Mine :
      AMD K6-2 400
      FIC VA-503+
      64MB PC-100
      Matrox G400
      17GB HD
      36x CD-ROM
      Logictec Trackman Marble +

Hers:
      AMD K6-2 450
      FIC VA-503+
      64MB
      Matrox Mystique 220
      Voodoo 2
      2GB HD
      6.4GB HD
      6x CD-ROM

Spare:
      Intel P200 MMX
      TX M/B
      32MB
      Cirrus Logic 5446 (2MB)
      Voodoo 1
      2GB HD
      24x SCSI CD-ROM
      2x2x6 SCSI RICOH MP6200S CD-ReWriter
      -------------------------
      Systems:

Mine :
      AMD K6-2 400
      FIC VA-503+
      64MB PC-100
      Matrox G400
      17GB HD
      36x CD-ROM
      Logictec Trackman Marble +

Hers:
      AMD K6-2 450
      FIC VA-503+
      64MB
      Matrox Mystique 220
      Voodoo 2
      2GB HD
      6.4GB HD
      6x CD-ROM

Spare:
      Intel P200 MMX
      TX M/B
      32MB
      Cirrus Logic 5446 (2MB)
      Voodoo 1
      2GB HD
      24x SCSI CD-ROM
      2x2x6 SCSI RICOH MP6200S CD-ReWriter

Comment

I stuck the TurboGL in Manually and it worked fine. Although it seems smoother in D3D. Never had a crash.

------------------
        Abit BH6
        Celeron 450
        Matrox G400 32mb "MAX"
        256MB PC100 RAM
        IBM 10GB 7200rpm HDD
        Creative Labs DVD 5x
        Mitsumi 4x/2x/8x CD-RW
        Monster Sound MX300
        USR 56K Modem
        Creative Labs DTT 2500
        ADi 6P (19" Monitor)
        Win98 SE

Abit BH6
        Celeron 450
        Matrox G400 32mb "MAX"
        256MB PC100 RAM
        IBM 10GB 7200rpm HDD
        Creative Labs DVD 5x
        Mitsumi 4x/2x/8x CD-RW
        Monster Sound MX300
        USR 56K Modem
        ADi 6P (19" Monitor)
        Windows ME

Comment

D3D has been perfectly stable for me. I did try OGL for one night, and it did crash a couple of times (did not try the TGL).

I have also seen the grid lines in the sesnor screen flashing. I reported that as a bug some time back (both in D3D and OGL). It was fixed for D3D in 5.30 or 5.41, and it has been fixed for OGL in the latest beta drivers.
          Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

I just got this game as a gift. I hadn't opened it yet because I wanted to read some reviews before considering exchanging it for UT or the like. I normally just enjoy/play the Quake series and Myst/Riven. I like the fluid 3D environment and FPS style of Quake and the puzzles and rich visuals of Myst/Riven. Homeworld sounds like its mostly strategy (ala Rogue Spear?) with some FPS. I haven't tried any of the "strategy" genre, so I'm not sure if I would like this. Opinions?
            <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Its not one or the other. I was just wondering if I would enjoy Homeworld. Can you expand on you're comments?
              I certainly could buy UT as well but I'm just now getting past the "totally suck" stage with Q3. I need to spend lots more time with Q3 (maybe some bots practice) to get more competitive. Today I actually felt like I could hold my own, so there's hope. But back to Homeworld ...
              <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

This is what I found on Sierra homepage:

G400 - no known D3D problems. Recommend driver 4.11.01.2110, from 8-31-99. OpenGL choice is available, but we do not recommend using GLSetup with this card.

------------------
                ***TRUST IN YOUR TECHNOLUST***
                <A HREF="http://jediphoenix.iscool.net/
                " TARGET=_blank>http://jediphoenix.iscool.net/
                </A>

Comment

I'm using a single-head OEM 32MB G400, myself. I've got PD5.30 loaded, and have found that the game works MUCH better in D3D. I don't notice any visual quality differences, and the graphics flow much more smoothly; I got visual breakup (especially with backgrounds) in OGL.

Comment

Working...
                  X