Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wy MATROX doesn't support now W95 + TGL ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wy MATROX doesn't support now W95 + TGL ?

After various attempt, I can run my G400MAX on W95 OSR2, only with PD 5.30 and unpacking manually latest TurboGL driver.

It's possible but isn't supported.

Wy ?

Windows 95 users are 2nd class users for MATROX or it's only a mistake?

As most W95 OSR2 users, I'm pretty happy
    of this OS, and don't need to upgrade to W98 or W98SE: I have my USB ports ready and working, my Sound card sound good, and my ultra ATA 10.000 RPM HD it's working at its full speed without problem s with FAT32 and my G400MAX use it's full (sigh) AGP2X speed.

I've seen some Brands make similar choiches while developing drivers (for example, Creative with WebCam II and III USB have support ONLY for W98).

What 's happening, anyone can answer?
    <b><i><font size="+1">Zanna.</font></i></b>
    <p><b><font size="-2"><hr>Current Config: Asus P4C800 Deluxe / Intel Pentium 4c 3.2 Ghz - 800 Mhz Bus / Dual 512Mb DDR 400 Ram (1Gb) / Matrox Millennium G400Max /&nbsp;&nbsp;Sound Blaster Audigy 2 /&nbsp; Western Digital WD2500JB: 250 Gb-7.2Krpm-8MBcache! / Superfloppy LS120 /&nbsp;Yamaha CRW-F1e /&nbsp;LG&nbsp;52x CDROM /&nbsp;Dual Boot 98se / W2k</font></b></p>

Hi Zanna!
    Why don't you use Win98se? I was a Win95 user for Year's but now isn't it time to change? Remember the millenium!? Win2k will be available next year, so why don't you change for getting TGL-Support. So where are the fckng Dostgldriver?

------------------
    Celeron 300A@450
    Asus P2B,G400 SH 32MB oc@150\200 128MB Cas2 PC100
    PIII 700@933 on Asus P3B-F, GF2 GTS, 512 MB Infineon

Comment

I won't change to win98 (or 98se) for the following reason: why pay to upgrade for a similar-featured OS when THIS OS is performing well?
      Any Add on you want (like directX, powertoys or Y2K patch) is ready on Internet, and FREE from Microsoft.

If you build up a PC from scratch, it make sense to have latest OS, but if you have already a well performing OS doesn't make sense to change!

Clearly, when you don't have support for your PC components in your OS, the only thing can do it's to CHANGE, but itsn't your CHOICE!!

I think, considering that WIN32 code (API) of win95 aren't so dissimilar to WIN98, that a Company suppling drivers ONLY for WIN98 does that to accomplish Microsoft Marketing Policy.

Wath do you think?
      <p><b><font size="-2"><hr>Current Config: Asus P4C800 Deluxe / Intel Pentium 4c 3.2 Ghz - 800 Mhz Bus / Dual 512Mb DDR 400 Ram (1Gb) / Matrox Millennium G400Max /&nbsp;&nbsp;Sound Blaster Audigy 2 /&nbsp; Western Digital WD2500JB: 250 Gb-7.2Krpm-8MBcache! / Superfloppy LS120 /&nbsp;Yamaha CRW-F1e /&nbsp;LG&nbsp;52x CDROM /&nbsp;Dual Boot 98se / W2k</font></b></p>

Comment

On the contrary, the code is a good bit different. W95 is still 16-bit based, and W98 is 32-bit based.
        Also, what kind of processor are you using? I hope it isn't a PIII - W95 can't even recognize it, so you aren't getting any of the KNI benefits. I suspect the TGL would suffer from the same kind of hinderance.
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Only for information;

I use a PII 400 and I'm guessing: "In W98, KNI are used from all the system or are only called from DirectX drivers?"

*** I use last TGL that doesn't require PIII ***

Comment

Wombat:

I'm not sure I can really agree with you about how different Win98 and Win95 are. Basically, you can build a Win95 system to enjoy just about every single benefit of Win98 except maybe for extended USB support. As far as I can tell, Win98 shouldn't have been a major release - it should have been a service pack.

But there ARE differences, and I'd guess that they are sufficiently different enough that the TGL drivers make use of some new functions included only with Win98. My operating system is still Win95 OSR2.1, and I'm not about to upgrade any time soon for exactly the same reasons that Zanna mentions.

I'm curious, though. How many people still use Win95?

Bill

------------------
            People call me a computer god; I remind them that I am merely a minor deity...
            People call me a computer god; I remind them that I am merely a minor deity...

Comment

I had the same predicament, see thread.
              http://forums.murc.ws/ubb/Forum5/HTML/006415.html

I have to admit that after switching to Windows 98 after being a loyal 95'er it has been worth it for me. Go to 98 SE though, it is a lot more stable the the first edition with or without the patches.

Comment

Part of the reason is that Win95 doesn't support MMX natively as Win98 does. I believe the new TurboGL uses MMX calls from the P2/Celeron/K6-2/3 to get its boost in performance. I agree with everyone here..get the Win98SE, its a hell of a lot better then Win95, with its troubleshooting tools that Win95 doesn't have. Only way I install win95 on a machine is if its only a regular pentium with less then 32MB of RAM...other wise use Win98!!!

Scott

------------------
                Abit BH6 with a P3-450@558,128mb RAM,G400 MAX,SB Live!, Optiquest V95 19in montor, Asus 40x CD-ROM, Aopen 5x DVD-ROM, 2x CDR, WD 13.6 GB HD,SupraMax 56k modem

Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Updating Win95:

FTP1

FTP2

FTP3
                  http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow...95ws2setup.exe

http://download.microsoft.com/msdown.../en/w95y2k.exe

Euro's?? http://mschus.www.conxion.com/msdown...95/w95euro.exe

And Win95 is up to date !!

Jord.

P.S: Set the ftp sites to FTP1 to 3

[This message has been edited by Jorden (edited 25 December 1999).]
                  Jordâ„¢

Comment

I would also suggest installing all patches described in following page: http://home.inreach.com/echevarr/pingpage.htm

I have those patches in my Win95 setup and haven't got any troubles so far. Also, why should G200 owners upgrade to W98 when you still can't run TGL on them. Atleast I'll wait for Win2k, new video cards and drivers before doing any OS reinstalls. Win2k and support from video card vendors for it will be a major guideline for any new hardware buys.

-Tumu

------------------
                    Celeron 333 (not overclocked), GigaByte 6BXE Intel 440BX AGPset (bios v3.3),
                    64MB PC100 RAM, G200 AGP 8MB SGRAM (not overclocked, a fan, bios v2.6),
                    PD5.41, SB16 Value, 3COM Fast EtherLink XL, Sony Multiscan 100ES, HP8210i
                    Win95OSR2.1 finnish

Celeron 333 (not overclocked), GigaByte 6BXE Intel 440BX AGPset (bios v3.4),
                    64MB PC100 RAM, nVidia TNT2 32M (was G200 AGP 8MB SGRAM), SB Live! Value LW3.1, 3COM Fast EtherLink XL, Sony Multiscan 100ES, HP8210i
                    Win98 finnish

Comment

When I posted originally this question, I would check what other G400 customers are thinking about upgrading W95 to W98.

Now it's clear that some people doesn't like to upgrade, and want only to apply the Microsoft Patches in order to mantain your own O.S. updated and running.

It's an impossible thing that Matrox can consider to support W95 + TGL in next drivers release ?

Zanna

Comment

Zanna:

You are right, the Windows 95 OSR 2.x is good enough except some things. I was a big OSR fun until Colin McRae Rally. Under W95 there was choppy texture flashes with my G200 and don't remember version Powerdesk. So I've moved to Win98 Lite (see at http://www.98lite.net), there is no f.cking Active Desktop so Win98 Lite is <u>FAST</u> and <u>STABLE</u>.
                        In Win98 you will get higher framerates in any game, and I think there will be no support for Windows 95 at all.

------------------
                        NauTiLUS

My system looks like:
                        ABIT Bh6 MOBO
                        Intel PIII500@560 MHz
                        128 MB Kingston PC133 SDRAM
                        Matrox G400SH 32MB
                        Adaptec 2940 SCSI HBA
                        Creative SB Live!
                        2*4.3GB ATAPI HDD
                        1*2GB SCSI-2 HDD
                        HP 4/8 GB DAT SCSI-2
                        Windows 98 Lite
                        Windows NT 4.0 Server SP4
                        NauTiLUS master of .ASP programming )

My system looks like:
                        ABIT Bh6 MOBO
                        Intel PIII500@560 MHz
                        128 MB Kingston PC133 SDRAM
                        Matrox G400SH 32MB
                        Creative SB Live! with 5 Creative speakers
                        2*4.3GB ATAPI HDD
                        Windows 98 Lite

Comment

Hi all,

Just want to add my 2 cents opinion here... I know that it is totally debateble... but jsut my point of view... please do not bite my head off

Windows 95 is 5 years old, think about it, that's pretty old!!! Microsoft themselves will be droping full support very very soon if it's not already done.. so that's one heck of a good reason for matrox not to support it.

Win95 is slower and would bring a lot of complains form these users that the TurboGL is slower than on other computers... who would want to get into this?

win95 does not properly recognize the AGP slot... we can all see this with the conflict with PCI bridge... and also has problems with USB... so yes, this OS is old and requires patches to work with new cards.

So for Matrox to support it, they couldn't say compatible with win95... but with win95 b or C with USB supplement.... can you imagine the marketting and tech support problems this would cause? Some users have no idea that the OS is not updated to a newer version, and it's hard to tell if it is properly patched....

So supporting this is possible but would be a nightmare for so many reasons... personnaly i tend to agree with tehir desicion... it's time for people to update..

Z

Comment

I tried Win98 in December, pre 98SE.

- It was buggy. The shell crashed all the time.
                            - The shell sucked resources like a Hoover.

I used 98lite to replace the shell with Win95 OSR2's shell

- It was stable (as stable as Winblows can be).
                            - I had USB and multi-monitor support - my two big concerns.
                            - The display control panel crashed when you tried to access the advanced properties for the display. Oh well.

I tried 98SE after it came out:

- It was stable (as stable as Winblows can be).
                            - It had USB and multi-monitor support, as it should.
                            - The display control panel didn't crash.

Give it a try. Win98SE is to Win98 as Win95 OSR2.1 is to Win95.

Oh, and DO NOT upgrade to it. Do a fresh install of Win98SE. Upgrades never work properly.

Just my $0.02

[This message has been edited by IceStorm (edited 28 December 1999).]
                            The pessimist says: "The glass is half empty."
                            The optimist says: "The glass is half full."
                            The engineer says: "I put half of my water in a redundant glass."

Comment

Win 95 does NOT support ISSE! I don't know specifically why but i'm very sure because I tried it. So there will be now TGL under Win95 with a PIII...

------------------
                              K6-3 400Mhz@450Mhz
                              G400 16MB, 192MB Ram and so on
                              K6-3 400Mhz@450Mhz
                              G400 16MB, 192MB Ram and so on

Comment

Working...
                              X