Unreal is ugly and slow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unreal is ugly and slow

And this is with an OC'd Athlon @750 and a G400MAX! Am I just spoild by the latest tech or is there some tweaks to get it to look good. Hmmm that didn't sound right, let's try again. This is the original Retail Unreal that I picked up at Best Buy over the weekwend for $15. I heard all the praise this game got and saw some great stills but never took the plunge. After playing some UT I was so impressed that after seeing that cheap price, it was a reflex purchase.

But it looks like crap! And is slow as hell! God I had to get it up to 1024 to at least make things out. It's like it's not accelerated. Hmmm maybe something to check. It's D3D right? Should screem on the MAX.
    It's fun to walk around and explore without someone chasing you down and blowing your head off.

Oh yeah I'm running 5.41 if it makes a diff

------------------
    "Hi, my name is Gary and I'm an OC addict"

[This message has been edited by MXR4LIFE (edited 02 January 2000).]
    "If your still stock,... ya' best stay on the porch"

Unreal does look like crap if you don't download the latest patch for it.
    you should be able to get it at <a href="http://www.planetunreal.com/files/">this</a> location

Comment

I don't know how you can say it is slow.
      Yes it is a glide game and will not run as fast on d3d as glide. And yes there is some tearing because of the poor d3d implemetations in the games engine. But still it is not at all slow on my system.

I have an Athlon 500@750 with a G400 32 meg vanilla overclocked (see siggy) with only 64 ram. Yes that is right a measly 64 megs of good old pc 100 ram. Although I am getting more soon because low ram makes load times really slow.

Anyways I run the game with vsync on because i prefer not getting the extra tearing. I can always max out my fps with my refresh rate at whatever res my monitor goes to.

following would be in the coret facility with 10 players online and high detail.
      800x600 fpsMAX=85 fpsAVERAGE=75 refersh rate=85hz
      1024x768 fpsMAX=75 fpsAVERAGE=67 refersh rate=75hz
      1280x1024 fpsMAX=60 fpsAVERAGE=49 refersh rate=60hz

with more ram I am sure I could also bring the average figures up and with vsync disabled I would also get better fpsMAX and fpsAVERAGE.

Anyways the game runs great for me and I love it :P

------------------
      Athlon 500MHz @ 750MHz 1/3
      G400 32 meg Dual-Head Vanilla @ 160.2/200.25 (400.5, 2.5/2.0/2.5)

Comment

damnit now I feel stupid

sorry thought you meant Unreal Tournament

disregard my last post

sorry guys

Comment

Yea,Unreal runs beautifully on my machine too,at 800x600 32bit.300c@450,64megs pc100 ram,g400 16m sh,etc,.I got about 32fps in d3d,next to zero in oGL.when I bumped up to 1024x768,it dropped to about25fps.I havent installed it since i went up to 128 megs ram,but ill bet it's a touch better.Be sure to d/l the latest patch(225f was the last I tried).Many, many improvements over original release.Out of the box version only has GLIDE support.Maybe thats the prob
          gobrob

[This message has been edited by gobrob (edited 02 January 2000).]

Comment

Bullsht!...STUPD ME too & I was talking abaut UT not Unreal ...dam !

Unreal didnt perform well on my sys too ...thing went better after desabling VOLUMETRIC LIGHTING & installing the latest patch...but still newer so good like UT...SORRY !!!!

------------------
            PIII450@504(fsb@112),P2b,128mb,Matrox Mill-G400 32SH,SB.Live !(value),IntelliMouse Explorer (yahoooo! no fu..hm hm. ball any more ...)

PIII650@806(fsb@124),ASUS P3B-F,128mb,Matrox Mill-G400 32SH,SB.Live!vlue ,IntelliMouse Explorer

Comment

Zenfe, I though Coret Facility was an Unreal Tournament map and not Unreal..

MXR4LIFE: Obviously first of all get the latest patch you could find on http://unreal.epicgames.com

It will still be far from perfect. Don't expect it to run as fast as UT does. Once, long ago Epic promised they would add the changes made to UT's D3D code to Unreal in a patch. It never happened, so far.. Well, you know how Epic is about promises.

Unreal was, and with the current patch, it still is, mainly a game for Voodoo2 SLI. With Glide it was pretty nice in its time at 1024x768x16.

The good news is that UT can run DM maps made for Unreal just fine.

Today if you want amazing graphics, go for Q3A. Especially with a G400!

------------------
              --
              primary sys: ASUS P2B-DS, Dual P3-500, 512 MB RAM, SB Live!, Pioneer 303, Yamaha 6416S, and of course a Matrox G400 MAX
              secondary sys: Abit BE6, P3-500, 384 MB, SB Live! Value, Pioneer 303, and of course a Matrox G400 OEM SH 32 MB

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys, and especialy for reposting with the corrections, I was worried there at first LOL

I just did a clean install of W98SE and Unreal plus added the patch before the first setup in hopes of getting some better performance. But I haven't had the chance to run it yet. I'll let ya know how it goes.

BTW I do have a CL V2 12MB SLI setup in mothballs, and another 'puter. A P2B w/C366@550 running a Fury...and two open PCI slots.........You guys got me thinking!

PS I could'nt get into the MURC Forums last night.....anyone else have that problem?

Also how do you check for FPS in Unreal? I can do Quake ok.

Thanks guys,
                you make this the Best source for Matrox info on the net!

1/2Hr later... WOW!

You guys forgot to mention going into advanced options to switch the API and renderer, or did you figure I was that smart? LOL I did have the right patch 225f in the first time, but it was still in software mode....LOL So I switched it to D3D and at 800 it looks fantastic and screams! I will try 1024 to se how it plays.

You know at the start of the game you are in the prison and you walk through a hallway that is slippery? I thought it was grease on the floor or something when it was in SW mode LOL, the floor looked normal. In D3D I realized it was ICE and you can see all the way to the bottom, Man this game does look great and in it's time it must have blown them all away. Heh Heh off to explore this new and wonderful land that is Unreal.

------------------
                "Hi, my name is Gary and I'm an OC addict"

[This message has been edited by MXR4LIFE (edited 03 January 2000).]
                "If your still stock,... ya' best stay on the porch"

Comment

This is off the top of my head,sorry if it's wrong.open console with ~ (tilde) key type timedemo 1 for on timedemo 0 for off.Note space and not_underscore.
                  gobrob
                  ps. in my opinion,it still "blows them all away".Ive never had the sense of a truly 3-d world the same way unreal renders it.The sense of open space...

[This message has been edited by gobrob (edited 03 January 2000).]

Comment

You might also want to set your cache size in "advanced options" from the default value of 4 Meg to something like 75% of your system RAM. It helps eliminate a lot of the video stuttering that you may see during the single player game. I've got 128MB RAM and have that set to about 100 Meg. Runs great at 1024 x 768. Forums.gtgames.com is a good resource for tweaks.
                    My rig: P4 3.0GHz; Asus P4C800E; 1GB DDR 3200; AIW Radeon 9800 Pro; WD 120GB SATA; Plextor DVD burner; Liteon DVD reader; Audigy 2ZS; Logitech Z560 4.1; NEC FE991SB

Kid's rig: AMD XP 1600+; 512MB ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 60GB; Plextor CD burner; Sony DVD reader; SB Live; Cambridge 4.1 speakers; NEC FE991SB

Other kid's rig: Athlon 2700+; ASUS A7N8X mobo; 512MB PC3200 ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 80GB; SB Live; Cambridge 2.1; NEC FE991SB; Liteon DVD-ROM

Comment

Working...
                    X