Please Help (sorry to ask this but..)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please Help (sorry to ask this but..)

How do I get Q3 to run with my G400 Max?
    I have all the latest drivers for it, TurboGL 1.00.002 and Matrox PowerDesk Revision 5.41.008 (w9x_541.exe), but Q3 does not run at all it just locks my system!
    I know that people have had a similar problem and looked through the forum (search) but I could not seem to find the answer, just a few posts of people saying it wont work.
    I seem to have read before that you may have to use an older Matrox PowerDesk but is this REALLY the answer? if it is then come on Matrox get a new PowerDesk out that will work!!

I know it is a pain for all you more experienced users to have to keep typing out how to make Quake 3 run but it would help me out a lot

Well Thanks guys

Top Cat

System Specs?

Joel
    Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
    Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

Sorry forgot to post them too )

Top Cat
      -----------------

System Information:

Processor Type: AMD-K7(tm) Processor
      Processor Speed: 500MHz
      Processor Caps: Enhanced 3D Now!/MMX

Total System RAM: 128Mb Dimm PC100

Motherboard: MS-6167 (AMD751)
      Sound Card: Creative Labs Sound Blaster PCI128
      Graphics Card: Maxtrox G400 MAX

RESULTS
      3DMark Result: 2074
      Game 1 - Helicopter
      Low: 43.0
      Medium: 25.8
      High: 8.1
      Game 2 - Adventure
      Low: 47.8
      Medium: 30.3
      High: 17.9
      Fill Rate (Single-Texturing): 226.3
      Fill Rate (Multi-Texturing): 236.9
      High Polygon Count (1 Light): 1587
      High Polygon Count (4 Light): 1417
      High Polygon Count (8 Light): 1225
      8MB Texture Rendering Speed: 154.1
      16MB Texture Rendering Speed: 146.1
      32MB Texture Rendering Speed: 115.8
      64MB Texture Rendering Speed: 103.1
      Bump Mapping (Emboss, 3-pass): 61.3
      Bump Mapping (Emboss, 2-pass): 84.1
      Bump Mapping (Emboss, 1-pass): 156.8
      Bump Mapping (Enviroment): 73.7

Internal 3D CARD
      Name: Matrox Millennium G400 DualHead Max - English
      Driver Name: G400DD32.DLL
      Driver Version: 4.11.01.1410 (Not Certified)
      Total Video Memory: 32697KB
      Total Texture Memory: 28809KB
      Bus: PCI (Is this right?????) my card is an AGP
      IRQ line: 9

Comment

Try the 5.30 drivers, if you want to use TGL. If you are happy with the regular ICD in 5.41, go with it. With your system, it should run plenty fast without TGL.
        Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Hello again

Thanks for the info, how do I turn TurboGL off?
          what kind of lose in FPS would I expect to see?
          why does everything work with 5.30 drivers not the new ones?
          Will matrox be fixing this soon?.

Thanks a lot for your help

Top Cat

Comment

The 5.41 drivers fixed a couple of bugs, I guess, and provided an image quality enhancement. It was not a performance enhancement, however. Quake3 is just a little prettier. There appear to be issues with the VIA chipset and the G200 as well.

To disable TurboGL, right click on the PowerDesk icon. A pop-up menu will appear. Select TurboGL Manager.

When the TurboGL Manager opens, click on the Scan button. TurboGL manager will then scan your hard drives for supported games. Games that have the TurboGL file installed will be represented with a green font. Games that do not will be in red.

Check off the games you want TurboGL to be removed from and click the Remove Driver button.

Why don't you try PowerDesk 5.30 and download, if you haven't already done so, and install the second version of TurboGL Manager? Uninstalling TurboGL just to get 5.41 working in Quake3 sounds a little extreme to me.

Paul
            paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Thanks very much for your help here guys, it was appreciated, I will get the 5.30 drivers now

If matrox reads this forum... come on please sort this out I never like to install older drivers.

Thanks again

Top Cat

Comment

Whoa whoa, I'm using the latest drivers and it seems to be working just fine. sure i'm running athlon but that besides the point. I too experienced the same problems and came to the conclusion that you have to d/l the matrox uninstaller before you apply the latest drivers. That our just reload your OS. Then it should work just fine in Q3A.

I just checked and I remember the uninstaller to be hard to find. Here it is here:

ftp://ftp.matrox.com/pub/mga/utils/pd_unin.zip

[This message has been edited by itchi (edited 02 January 2000).]

Comment

I bet they will fix it, but this is something you may have to get used to now that you're using a non-Intel chipset. AMD and VIA users have have been pulling their hair out for years dealing with issues like this. It's not a problem unique to Matrox by any means, I think GeForce/Athlon users for a while didn't have *any* working drivers, and the fault often (not aways, but often) lies with VIA.

Now that Athlon-based systems are so popular with gamers, I hope we'll see these compatibility issues become fewer and farther between. But VIA and ALI users have had issues over the years far worse than not being able to play Quake3 without using a perfectly fine driver set that happens to be a little older than the most current.

Paul
                  paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

PD 5.41 fixes several bugs, most noticeably the 3DMark2000 helicopter scene and the fullbright texture bug with Q3 and the regular OpenGL ICD.

To remove TurboGL from a game, just go to the game's directory and delete the file called OPENGL32.DLL, or simply rename it to something else just in case. (NOTE: Don't remove the opengl32.dll in your windows\system directory!)

All in all because some bugs with Q3 and the regular ICD still remains, not to mention the speed increase, if I had a K7, I would go back to 5.30 plus the new stand-alone TurboGL.

------------------
                    --
                    primary sys: ASUS P2B-DS, Dual P3-500, 512 MB RAM, SB Live!, Pioneer 303, Yamaha 6416S, and of course a Matrox G400 MAX
                    secondary sys: Abit BE6, P3-500, 384 MB, SB Live! Value, Pioneer 303, and of course a Matrox G400 OEM SH 32 MB

Comment

AMD = Great CPU's

VIA = Utter utter crapola chipsets

It's just a fact of life. It's why I won't get an Athlon yet, and why I don't recommend them yet. Until I see a STABLE chipset from someone other than Intel (and it just hasn't happened in the past 5 years) I'll pass, thanks.

- Gurm

------------------
                      Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
                      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                      If only life were as easy as you
                      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                      If only life were as easy as you
                      I would still get screwed

Comment

Actually Gurm, The only problems ive heard of from the SS7 line have ben from VIA chipsets...most people have been fairly happy with the performance and compatibility of later Acer chipsets (ALI). And do keep in mind that almot every current Athlon board uses the AMD 750 chipset, with fairly good specs. In fact, most of the problems associated with the Athlon incompatibilities have been due to motherboards being built out of spec.

Hey itchi, im also using the 5.41 driverset with the latest TurboGL, and its not causing any problems. But lots of people ARE having problems, so its the first thing people mention when TurboGL problems are discussed.

------------------
                        This Signature Space FOR SALE / RENT

Comment

Working...
                        X