Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400 won't work with OpenGL games

Hi guyz,
    I have a 16MB AGP G400 SH and it doesn't seem to want to run OpenGL games. Tried it with UT and Q3A and both of them hung the system at game startup. UT D3D on the other hand works.

My current system is a Celeron 433 with 12MB PC100 SDRAM, on a brandless motherboard with a VIA chipset. I've downloaded and installed the patches(IDE Busmaster and AGP) from VIA's website, but it didn't do any good. I've also tried Matrox's TurboGL and Matrox's latest Win98 drivers, still no go.

Does anyone know what's going on?

12mb of RAM? That ain't too good.
    J/k of course.
    (I'll take that as actually being 128mb of RAM)

Have you disabled all the Bios options of Shadowing/Buffering?

Comment

Hi

12 megabytes of memory?????????????
      I will assume that it is 128!

You should read the other posts. There is 2 page of it.

Plus you should do a search for "OpenGL".

Now what does it do exactly?

Here we go:

The Bus Master Driver have to be success fully installed. To do that, you might have to copy the Bus Master drivers on your HDD and then temporarily remove your ATAPI CD-ROM driver from your config.sys. Check in Safe Mode to see how many drivers you got in there. Read the README file.

In Safe Mode, you shouldn't have any duplication of drivers in any device.

Is this the first GFX card in that system?
      If not: In Safe Mode, go to the Display Adapter and remove the excess drivers.

Do you have a unique IRQ assign to the card?
      You night have to shuffle some cards to get the AGP slot a unique IRQ. In my box, the AGP card shared its IRQ with slot 5.

Is your AGP "Aperture" at 256?

Is your Desktop color resolution at 16 or 32?

What is your Desktop resolution?

Next time, take the time...

Cya

------------------
      Celery 366 OCed @ 458(83), Soyo 6BA+III, 64MB SDRAM, Millennium G400 DualHead (486 cpu fan), SB Live! Value, FBall KA 13.1Gig (7200rpm), Mitsumi CR-4804TE CD-RW, Intel based 21140 10/100 NIC, Nortel Networks HSA1300 1-meg ADSL modem and also a ModemBlaster DI5630... enough!

[This message has been edited by MotherDawg (edited 30 December 1999).]
      --
      Gilles Lalonde
      SysAdmin (.RPM)
      Linkedin

Comment

Ack! Did I type 12MB? I meant 128MB, geez, silly me.
        vanguardian1, yeah I did disabling BIOS shadowing and buffering for video and system.
        MotherDawg, I do have previous installations of a V3 3000 and a Savage4, but I've removed them by safe mode. Basically, I removed them using Matrox's way of removing the video cards, i.e. deleting the stuff in the Windows registry and going into Safe Mode and deleting the extra display adapters.

I've installed the VIA BusMaster drivers. Before this installation Windows won't even boot properly. How do I know if its fully installed? What drivers do I check in Safe Mode?
        How do I know what the IRQ assigned to the AGP slot is?
        My AGP Aperture in my BIOS is currently 128MB. I have tried 64MB before that. There's no 256MB setting in my BIOS, 128MB is the max.
        My desktop resolution/color depth is 1152x864@24bit, but I've tried 16bit before, and still no go.
        Thanks guyz for the help...would appreciate more of them though
        Btw I didn't see any other posts. I sifted through the topic headers but didn't see any with similar problems as I do. I apologize if I'm posting a question already answered, and would appreciate any links to the appropriate posts.
        Thanks again

Comment

Confirm you gave the"opengl32.dll","g400icd.dll", and the (i think and others correct me if i am wrong!!!) the GDI.dll in your windows system if not you will require these to be able to play GL games!.....and you may already know but make sure you are not in 24bit mode color as openGL does not work in that color !

Cheers!

[This message has been edited by Casper99 (edited 30 December 1999).]

Comment

I do have opengl32.dll and g400icd.dll in my windows\system directory, but I couldn't find a gdi.dll there. There's a gdi.exe there though.

Comment

Actually, the third file you are looking for is GLU32.dll.

And it's important that the OpenGL32.dll be the correct one (the one from your windows install, not the TurboGL)
              Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Here is a guide line:
                Right click on your files to check the properties.

Windows\System
                Opengl32.dll
                737kb (753,808) for V. 4

G400icd.dll
                1,79mb (1,884,160) for V. 5.41.008

In game directory
                Opengl32.dll
                577kb (591,666) for V. 5.41.006.001
                (check the "Special Build Description")

G400icd.dll
                2,08mb (2,186,036) for V. 5.13.021

As for the IRQ, in your BIOS, you should have a switch to give one to the graphic card.

Ok, to check the IRQ assignment in Windoze;
                Right click My Computer/Properties/Device Manager/double click the first "Computer" Icon on top of all your devices.
                I think IRQ 10 or 11 should be only assign to your G400. An "IRQ Holder for PCI Steering" could also be ther to make sure nothing else uses that IRQ.

------------------
                Celery 366 OCed @ 458(83), Soyo 6BA+III, 64MB SDRAM, Millennium G400 DualHead (486 cpu fan), SB Live! Value, FBall KA 13.1Gig (7200rpm), Mitsumi CR-4804TE CD-RW, Intel based 21140 10/100 NIC, Nortel Networks HSA1300 1-meg ADSL modem and also a ModemBlaster DI5630... enough!

--
                Gilles Lalonde
                SysAdmin (.RPM)
                Linkedin

Comment

Thanks MotherDawg, I appreciate the details...
                  Anyway, I've verified the filesizes and filenames of the files. In my windows\system directory, opengl32.dll and g400icd.dll match up correctly.
                  In my games directory, in this case the quake3 directory, the opengl32.dll matches up, but there doesn't seem to be a g400icd.dll within the q3 directory or the sub-directories. Judging from the different file size, I assume it isn't the same as the one in the windows\system directory. How do I get this file?
                  As for the IRQ, I verified in Windows that it is taking up IRQ11, and I've also checked that no other device in device manager is using that IRQ.
                  IRQ steering for AGP isn't there in device manager, but I seem to recall some IRQ steering(may be for PCI, can't remember) being installed when I initially set up my HDD for this system.

So, everything seems to be all set, except I don't have a g400icd.dll in my games directories, and no IRQ steering for AGP.

Comment

Although my system is not that similar to yours (FIC SD11, K7/700, 256megs), I've experienced what you are going through now. Here's what I did:

Q3: I installed the TurboGL for Q3 before I ever even fired it up. If you did the same, try this: Use the TurboGL manager from Powerdesk to UNINSTALL the TurboGL support for Q3. Then, run Q3. You may have to uninstall Q3, but I didn't. After you have run Q3 once, reinstall the TurboGL support for Q3. I can't tell you why this works, but every single time I fired up Q3 before doing this (>50 times, as I tried various things to get it to work), it dumped me back to the desktop before it even got to the splash screen. Since I've done this, I have had no problems.

UT: I still haven't been able to get my machine to run UT in OpenGL mode. However, you will notice that the UT documentation mentions that their OpenGL support is more or less a beta, and should be used at your own risk. I came to the conclusion that this is the reason UT won't run in OpenGL mode, but if someone else has gotten it to work, I'd love to hear it.

DW

Comment

Working...
                    X