Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400 and Q3

Arghhhh.!
    My Q3 keeps on locking up, everything just frezez and a small musicloop hears.
    I have tried everything, I have all the newest drivers and bios for my G400.
    5.41 drivers, 1.04 bios and the second TGL.
    This has accoured since the very first
    Q3test. Is there something I´ve missed?
    640*480*15 or 800*600*32 don't mather happends the same thing. This just happends in Q3 any Q1 no other game.
    HEEEEEELLLLLLPPPPPP MMMMEEEEE!!!!
    Geting desperate,, !

Win 98se
    PII 350
    128Mb ram
    G400 DH ( not Max)
    asus P2b MB (may be an old bios)
    awe64 sb.

Is dual-head enabled? OpenGl doesn´t work with DH. Does it happens with both the ICD and TurboGL?
    Be sure you have opengl32.dll glu32.dll and g400icd.dll in \windows\system. Long shots: Be sure you have an IRQ assigned to VGA, disable all video shadowing/cacheing in the bios and set the agp aperture size to 256.

Comment

Just to add to what Nuno said, make sure your G400 is not sharing an IRQ and that the IRQ is 9 or above.

Paul
      paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Hi!
        It lockes up with both icd and tgl.
        It's irq is 11, and it's not shared.
        Have tried to uppgrade my MB bios,, that seemed to help for a while. But only for a while, the lockups came back.
        Don't know what to do now!!

Comment

hmmm ... it's probably a heat problem ...

Could you open up your case, leave it open and launch Q3 ?

When your lockups disappear, you'd need to improve cooling.

CU,
          Maggi
          Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
          Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
          be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
          4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
          2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
          OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
          4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
          Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
          Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
          LG BH10LS38
          LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

I agree with Maggi, sounds like heat, are you o/c'ing anything?
            System 1:
            AMD 1.4 AYJHA-Y factory unlocked @ 1656 with Thermalright SK6 and 7k Delta fan
            Epox 8K7A
            2x256mb Micron pc-2100 DDR
            an AGP port all warmed up and ready to be stuffed full of Parhelia II+
            SBLIVE 5.1
            Maxtor 40g 7,200 @ ATA-100
            IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
            Pinnacle DV Plus firewire
            3Com Hardware Modem
            Teac 20/10/40 burner
            Antec 350w power supply in a Colorcase 303usb Stainless

New system: Under development

Comment

Hi!
              My case is open!!!
              And I am not overclocking.
              Can it be something wrong with my cpu or MB?
              I am starting to believe that it's not the G400,, I don't know!

Comment

This is an old prob mentioned loads of times on these forums.
                Go to Q3 folder and rename turboGL to OpenGl
                Run Q3 and choose 800x600 and 16bit textures.
                Save this config and exit.Rename OpenGl back to TurboGl.Should run Ok now.If not try search on these forums for solution as it has been mentioned loads of times before
                AMD Athlon + Matrox G400 MAX.....Rock'N'Roll

Comment

An alternative is simply copy the opengl32.dll from the windows\system folder and overwrite theone in Quake folder. Reboot your machine and run Quake. That's all to it. I managed to solve this lockup problem using this method. If still fails, you maight want to try out the method as suggested by TopCatFCD. Anyway, I am a relatively new user of G400 and I guess I will try out the method suggested by TopCat to see if there's a gain in performance.
                  Keep posting....

David

Comment

Whatever you do, DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT put the OpenGL32.dll file from the systems directory into any games folders, it will disable your ICD and will not work properly.

Rags

Comment

waikhong- You really need to stop telling people to copy their windows\system\opengl32.dll to their games directory. This IS NOT the way to do it.

Opengl32.dll comes in several forms. There is the windows\system version. This is a part od the full opengl ICD, which includes opengl32.dll, glu32.dll, and g400icd.dll. These files MUST be in the windows\system folder, and in their original form for the full ICD to work.

Then there is the OpenGL32.dll you see in some game folders. THAT is the TurboGL MCD, which when present, overrides the full ICD. IF you DO NOT want to use TurboGL, simply delete opengl32.dll from that games folder, and the game will use the one in windows\system.

NEVER copy opengl32.dll from the system folder to a game folder, and NEVER copy opengl32.dll from a game folder to the system folder. They are VERY different, and it is crucial that you keep them straight. If what you are suggesting all over these forums worked for you, it is probably because you have the incorrect version of opengl32.dll in your system folder to start with...
                      Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

I think the problem is likely the size of AGP texture memory usage. I had this problem before, and after I adjust the size in BIOS menu( to 128MB or more ) q3 never lock-up again.
                        My Rig:
                        Pentium II 400
                        256MB PC100 SDRAM
                        Millennium G400 16MB
                        IBM Deskstar 15GB
                        Soundblaster Live/V
                        Digital 17'

Comment

Kruzin ,

Thanks for the info. Never aware of such an issue, cause I am a relatively new user of G400. Thought I saw somewhere from the postings.

David

Comment

hi war what you doin now?
                            mine is running just fine even with turbogl
                            maybe it's because you got one of them over priced intel chips, or you got a key board attatched. best advice remove drivers etc for g400 and go back to std vga, then only add the drivers that came with your card see how it goes before starting to change settings again or update. by the way quakeworld works well on mine at 95 fps with out even trying.

Comment

Working...
                            X