Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Q3 lockup in G400 32MB AGP

Hi,

I have just bought a plain vanilla G400 32MB AGP DH. While playing Q3 for a few minutes, the whole system lockups. I did not o/c my G400 yet. I also cannot get the full screen even though I have set the option full screen in the game settings. I have set my AGP aperture to 256MB as per recommended (default was 64MB).

Any ideas to the above problems would be much appreciated.

David

It's always helpful if you post your specs, but here are a few fixes:

The G400 does not like sharing IRQ's. Make sure your G400 has its own IRQ and that IRQ is 9 or above.

You should be using drivers associated with PowerDesk 5.30 or 5.41. If you're using the drivers from the CD-ROM that shipped with the board, you should uninstall them using Matrox's uninstaller software and reinstall the newer drivers.

Unzip the the new drivers in there own directory and run the setup program. Do not use the INF.

Make sure, before installing the Matrox drivers, that you have removed all traces of the drivers from your old videocard. Running the uninstaller for non-Matrox boards is frequently not enough. Sometimes you have to manually uninstall them.

Also, if you know how, remove all traces of your old board from the Windows registry.

Disable all video shadowing in your BIOS.

Make sure your G400 is properly seated in the AGP slot. This often sounds easier than it really is, and many of us have had problems along these lines. Make sure it is all the way in the slot and properly aligned.

If you are using a Soundblaster Live, upgrade to the latest drivers.

Again, we'd have to know more about your system to make other recommendations.

Paul
    paulcs@flashcom.net

[This message has been edited by paulcs (edited 27 December 1999).]

Comment

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the feedback. From the points you have mentioned, I have already done that. I have managed to solve the lockup problem as well as the full screen problem. What I did was to copy the opengl32.dll from windows system folder to the Quake folder.

Now I am pondering what is the most commonly used setting for o/c the card using mGA tweak utility. My specs are as follows :

PII 350 o/c to 400
      128 MB Ram
      13.5 GB IBM Deskstar
      AGP Aperture 256 MB
      Video shadowing disabled

I really love this card ! The performance is a great jump as compared to my Savage4. By the way, is it advisable to upgarde the card bios to 1.04 ? Apparently, the existinbg card bios is 1.5 - 22 as reflected in the info panel within Powerdesk 5.41.

Regards,
      David

Comment

I believe you are using the most current BIOS. Have you tried the *new* TurboGL yet?

Paul
        paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

By copying the opengl32.dll file from the \windows\system directory you're probably no longer using TurboGL... correct? What happens if you reinstall the TurboGL drivers? Does it lock up once again?

Comment

The lockup seems to go away after I copied the opengl32 over. By the way, I have also installed the latest turbogl. As for the BIOS, I am using the one that comes right out of the box. Do I need to upgrade it again ?

David

Comment

Working...
            X