Gamma in OpenGL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gamma in OpenGL

You know, I love this desktop schemes thing, except it doesnt save the MOST IMPORTANT THING: gamma levels! Even the Nvidia ref drivers for my old TNT had a way to save different gamma settings and call them up using the little icon in the system tray...so can Matrox's Powerdesk do this for me? and if not, can someone suggest a utility that will?

------------------
    This Signature Space FOR SALE / RENT

What are you talking about? There is a gamma level adjuster for the G400. Yes, Matrox's Powerdesk can change it. Either click on the little QuickDeck icon in your system tray, or go to Display Properties. Then go to the Settings tab, and click on the Advanced button. Next you want the tab that says Color (The tab that has a little small computer on the tab). In that tab on the right side there should be a gamma level adjuster.
    McRhea

Comment

YES, I KNOW it can adjust gamma levels. What ticks me off is there is NO WAY to QUICKLY adjust them to a particular level.

For example: in the Nvidia refrence drivers for my old TNT, you could adjust the gamma, and SAVE that gamma level. Then you could click on quicktweak in the taskbar, click on the SAVED gamma level, and PRESTO...youre at that gamma level. no loading up display properties, clicking on advance, THEN fiddiling with level bars. Thats the kind of thing im looking for.

And I really thought Matrox's quicktweak was capable of that. You can setup desktop schemes which save all the settings for resolution, color depth, refresh rate, ect. Unfortunately, the Quick Tweak Deaktop Schemes do not save the gamma levels...so its not going to work for me.

All I want here is a simple way to
      -raise the gamma to a preset level quickly and easily
      -lower the gamma back to its default level quickly and easily.

Im beginning to think Matrox's driver team is made up of retarded childeren if they dont have the sense to include features already found in cheap mainstream gaming cards' drivers.

------------------

Comment

I don't have a sollution. I've honestly never heard anyone mention this before. It would be good to have that incorperated in the quickdesk schemes..

So, instead of insulting people you don't even know, why don't you do something constructive, like typing a polite suggestion to them at their driver suggestion form. They do listen to our input.
        http://www.matrox.com/mga/drivers/drvsugg.htm
        Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

I sorry for the impolite statements I made in my last post. Its just that I didnt realize that my stated question was originally unclear, and I was already angry at PowerDesk for a number of reasons. To answer your suggestion: the reason I am here is because scouring Matrox's website, as well as already sending in my complaints about the drivers, has yielded no help for my situation. I figured of all the places on the net, this would be the place with the highest probability of solving my problems.

------------------

Comment

Ahhhh.... I see what you're talking about. My old Voodoo drivers had that. You're right, it does seem funny that they would have a way to save the monitor settings but not the gamma levels. Lets try what Kruzin said that ask them to implement this feature into the next Powerdesk release!
            McRhea

Comment

Powerstrip might do what you want. I don't have it on my system to try it, but it does have a lot of that type of tweaking options...
              http://www.entechtaiwan.com/
              Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

You know, my TNT card was an STB. Now, their drivers were terrible as far as speed, but I did like one thing about them:

You could set the gamma for desktop and OpenGL independently. So when you started an openGL app, it automatically cchanged the gamma for you. Now THAT was nice

I think powerstrip will do this, but powerstrip is expensive...this funcionality isnt worth $30... Anyone with a cheaper idea?

------------------

Comment

$30 is a lot, but Matrox licenses Colorific, which would set you back $50 if bought seperately. Together with Sonnetech's 3deep at an extra $30, that's a total of $80 - and you still don't get the NT support or in-game hotkey adjustments the alternative offers...

Comment

Well, heres the problem with powestrip: sure, it has all these wonderful features, but guess what? PowerDesk overrides powestrip, atleast for me. I try to change resolution, color depth, gamma, ect using powerstrip...nope, not happening. When I try to tell powerstrip what kind of monitor I have, it comes up with the very same refresh rate limitations that PowerDesk did. I really wish I could find a way around PowerDesk...its acting like a virus

Ahhh, now I see. The first Display control to load maintains control. All I had to do was prevent PowerDesk from loading on startup and make sure Powerstrip loaded on startup. Now even when Quick Tweak loads up, Powerstrip maintains control.

------------------

[This message has been edited by MadCat (edited 27 December 1999).]

Comment

Working...
                    X