Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3D shutter glasses....are they any good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3D shutter glasses....are they any good?

I've been looking at a few different stereoscopic 3d glasses that claim to work with direct 3d games. Does anyone know if they are any good and what kind is the best?

Don't know ...

if you go to Ant's homepage (www.murc.ws) you'll find news about such shutter glasses that seem to support G200 and G400.

I don't know if there are any other supporting matrox chips.

Cheers,
    Maggi
    Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
    Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
    4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
    2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
    OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
    4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
    Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
    Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
    LG BH10LS38
    LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Thanks Maggi, does anyone else know if they are any good. I've been looking at the Eye3D 4 in 1...sounds like a great deal, and has drivers for the G400.

Comment

I've been hearing great things about Elsa's 3d Relevator glasses. Only caveat is that they don't support OpenGL games (which isn't a big deal, depending on who you talk to). D3D only, but OpenGL drivers are in the works.

The Rock
        Bart

Comment

The main problem with these glasses is, as I can can gather is that they run off your monitor refresh rate, and because of the way they 'do' 3d is to alternate between lenses you effectively get half the refresh rate, therefore anything below 120Hz is gonna give you horrible flicker. Also they do give a performance hit of sorts. However this only what I've heard, I don't actually have any, I'd love to hear any reports if anyones got any!

Chris Thompson

Comment

I will repost my reply from the Hardware forum as you may have missed it...
            -------
            I have used the H3D shutter glasses for about 18 months, until recently I had SLI voodoo2s installed to get the best framerate & 3d quality. The newest drivers from Metabyte now support my g400 non-max & the quality exceeds the voodoo2 output so they have been removed.

I always use the 3d glasses for driving games & some FPS, compatability has been excellent with most games working straight off & if I fiddle with a config file I can get even better 3d at risk of disrupting cockpit graphics - as I always use the bonnet view it doesnt worry me that the drivers view is distorted. Some games I use the glasses for are : toca 1&2, midtown madness, starwars racer, rally championship, colin mcrae, halflife & mods (counterstrike is too cool, like watching an action movie ), quake2, some quake3 (awkward to get running, not sure this is reliable) & others I cant see on my desktop just now.
            I have a spare set of glasses so spectators at Lan events don't have to bug me about getting a look, there is a lot of interest over here in Aus but they are difficult to source locally at reasonable cost. I have seen the Asus 3d shutter glasses on TNT2 but did not think the display quality was as nice as i am acustomed to so spent little time on them.

As you can see these get 2xthumbs up from me, especially if you can find the H3D / Eye-Scream kits lying around at good prices. It literally adds a new dimension to the gaming experience.
            -----

As an additional note I bought the wicked-3d voodoo2 for SLI so I get the metabyte eyescream drives as part of that package, they used to sell an Eyescream driver cd for use with the H3D glasses but I saw people complaining that was no longer available.

The 17" & 19" monitors I use support 1024+res at 120Hz, as mentioned in another reply the monitor is run at 2x the normal refresh to display the 2 images alternately onscreen. It also drops the vertical res by half to generate the display, with voodoo2 I had to force the res via drivers to 640x960 which gave perfect results ingame - with g400 I just force 1024/1152/1280 res which look just as good. There is a performance hit so I would not use this when you are playing competetively, but as I only play for fun they add to the experience (rally games + steering wheel + 3d vision = cool experience)

The metabyte drivers work for both openGL & D3D so you get to choose which may some games run

Hope this was of some help, check www.stereovision.net or www.stereo3d.com for more links/ reviews / info.

Comment

Working...
            X