Conflict between Mystique 220 and Creative DVD DXR3 MPEG card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conflict between Mystique 220 and Creative DVD DXR3 MPEG card

Until the Millenium G400 + RR become available here, in Switzerland (= a few more months), I'm still with my good old Mystique 220 /w RRS.

A few days ago, I got myself a brand new Creative DVD set (DVD 6x DXR3 TV out) with the DXR3 MPEG decompression card. It reads DVD films fine. But when I tried one of the games that came with it (Psygnosis Lander), my system crashes. By desactivating parts of my computers (e.g. Sounds card), I narrowed the problem to the graphic card. To be precise, the game crashes just when the intro film finishes and the menu (or something) should appear. Suddenly the screen turns black with several ticks from the monitor as if it were trying to change screen resolution. Has anyone heard of the Mystique 220 having problems with new games? Conflict with DirectX or 3DFX or some thingamy like that?

Thanks for any advice

Well, I've got RR Studio & Creative DVD DXR3
    running on my system. The only problem I've
    seen so far has been:
    If, while the Creative DVD player is running, the MATROX PC VCR Remote is started,
    and you try to use either the line or TV input, then PC VCR Remote will complain that another progrm is using the hardware & it should be shut down.

Shutting down the Creative DVD Player will
    not make this complaint go away, nor will
    stopping both, the restarting PC VCR Remote.

A reboot seems to be the only way to restore
    PC VCR Remote to normal operation.

RR Studio was installed & fully operational with the latest Matrox drivers before I installed Dxr3.

I'm currently bringing up a second system with RR Studio/Dxr3 for my father-in-law whose vision was impaired by a stroke a couple of years ago. His PC monitor will be a 27" SONY TV w/S-Video inputs.

I had lots of trouble trying to get things up last week. I suspect part of my problem was that I installed the Creative DVD Dxr3 before I installed the Matrox display & RR Studio drivers.

However, after I had Dxr3 running I installed an Ethernet card so I could copy the Matrox drivers from my other system. The network install didn't go well (picked the wrong network card drivers & had to de-install them & re-install the correct ones) Even with the right drivers, networking never worked rignt. It could be that the network installation problems were the real culprit.

Anyway, attempting to adjust the matrox display properties would either end up with the display properties dialog box evaporating, or else windows hanging & having to be rebooted...

Finally last night I just reformatted the C drive & brought up networking 1st (took a 2nd reformat & windows re-install). I'm going to install the Matrox drivers/RR Studio tonite, THEN the Creative DVD DXR3. Hopefully this will work like my other system.
    'Gards, Verell
    Verell

Comment

Essayer

I would suggest you one thing that might solve the problem; as you surely know all hardware devices in a computer are comtrolled by a BIOS; this BIOS assigned the ressources requested by the hardware and makes sure that there's no conflits

1- Make sure that you are running the latest version of your motherboard BIOS. This will solved many issues for conflits problems.

Maybe I have another truc for you:
      Matrox has an utility to reassigned the ressources assigned by the BIOS or the OS (if PNPOS is enbled in the BIOS)called PCISPY; give it a try and let me know

Cheers
      Flo

Comment

Hmm, I'll see if there's a newer MB BIOS. Any suggestions as to which specific resources I should examine for conflicts?

BTW, I did get the latest graphics & RRS drivers installed last night, again took a couple of tries to get past a trasned registry.

Tnx for the reply.
        Verell

Comment

Essayer

If you are running win95/98 you will not have a hard time to get the conflict and identify it. Use the device manager for more information.

The RR does not need an IRQ (well exactly it uses the video card IRQ so...).

Problems to verify?
          1- Make sure that the video card is set between IRQ 9 and 11;
          2- somewhere else? It might happen but I would suggest tomove it to wither 9, 10 or 11 in order to make sure.
          3- Try to verify (in the mobo bios maybe)that the IRQ assigned tothe video card is activated by Level and not Edge. Again tech support could confirm this, I've been away from the RR for so long now.

Again Matrox has a utility to correct mapping addressesproblems: PCISPY; you need to be running win95 and I am not sure at all that this utility runs under win98; surely Matrox came out with a new utility like that: better check with Tech support for this.

Looking forward
          flo

Comment

Essayer

If you are running win95/98 you will not have a hard time to get the conflict and identify it. Use the device manager for more information.

The RR does not need an IRQ (well exactly it uses the video card IRQ so...).

Problems to verify?
            1- Make sure that the video card is set between IRQ 9 and 11;
            2- somewhere else? It might happen but I would suggest tomove it to wither 9, 10 or 11 in order to make sure.
            3- Try to verify (in the mobo bios maybe)that the IRQ assigned tothe video card is activated by Level and not Edge. Again tech support could confirm this, I've been away from the RR for so long now.

Again Matrox has a utility to correct mapping addressesproblems: PCISPY; you need to be running win95 and I am not sure at all that this utility runs under win98; surely Matrox came out with a new utility like that: better check with Tech support for this.

Looking forward
            flo

Comment

ITS WORKING/NOT WORKING...

Dxr3 absolutely doesn't like to share an IRQ with anything else, especially not the Mystique220!!! Once I got that out of the way on both of my PCS, I was able to get PC-DVD to run on my OLD PC, but not on the new PC I'm building up for my father-in law.

(See closely related discussion under the following topic:
              "PC-VCR TV&LINE Inputs unusable w/TV OUT Force Display to Fit Property?"

Everything seemed to come to gether on my OLD PC after I installed a SoundBlaster Live 1024, after having re-installed PC-DVD Dxr3, Matrox Graphics, and RRS drivers.

On the OLD PC, I can now run PC-DVD's S-Video output into the PC-VCR Remote's S-Video Line input. This lets me watch DVD movies in the PC-VCR Remote window, which of course can be expanded to the full TV screen.

NEW PC:
              Unfortunately, I can't get PC-DVD Dxr3 video to display anywhere on this system. Even when I uninstalled both RRS & Power Desk & just used the Win98 Matrox graphics driver. Both the video overlay window, and S-video outputs are black while the movie's playing. I've tried both auto & manual calibraiting the PC-DVD, & also adjusting it's 'COLOR' advanced properties tab. (Hmm, I don't remember seeing this tab on my OLD PC's DVD's advanced properties. Maybe I've installed different PC-DVD driver versions..)

What an adventure this has been. I've probably put in 60-80 Hrs. trying to get this to work the last couple of weeks.

Anyway, Thanks for all of your help, without the clues & the incentive of just knowing someone got this to work, I'd probably have junked the whole idea & returned the PC-DVDs..
              Verell

Comment

Working...
              X