terrible Win2k performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• terrible Win2k performance

I'm running Win2k 2195 pro with the new Matrox beta 5.00 drivers and Quake 3 is basically unplayable now. The game menus are incredibly lagged and timedemo on demo001 has dropped from 50 to 20. As well, the turboGL won't run on Win2k. Come on Matrox, get your act together!

I am getting the same lag in the menu, but it seems to get fixed after a while, like going in the system, then coming back, etc... Also the game gets really dark the second time I run the game. Another problem is that sometimes the fire button will get "stuck" (player always fire). Otherwise its fine, I seem to get good FPS.

My system:
    Asus K7M, K7-500, 128 ram, WD 13.6gb 7200rpm, G400 32mb DH, SB Live! value, Yamaha 4416s, PCWorks FPS 1000, Optiquest V73, STB TV Tuner, TekRam 390 scsi card, SupraExpress 56i sp, Ethernet card, Gravis Exterminator, Wheelmouse.
    Asus K7M, Athlon 500 (sometimes at 550), G400 32mb DH, SB Live! Value, Optiquest 17" V73, Western Digital Expert 13.6 7200rpm, Datatrain DC154 14", Yamaha 4416s, STB Tv Tuner, TekRam SCSI card, 128MB RAM, Cambrige PCworks 4pt surround, Lexmark 5700, SupraExpress 56k), RealTek ethernet card.

Comment

The gamma control doesn't work for me so the game is too dark to even play. I'm going to have to dual boot with win98 again cuz this performance is useless.

Comment

Hi

Was this your first GFX card in that machine?
        You might have old stuff lying around in there. They will show up in the following steps.

Check this: (BTW, if you mess up... you clicked... I didn't... but I do this almost every day as a tech)

Restart in safe mode (they won't show in normal mode)
        go to the device manager
        click open every thing EXCEPT the "System Devices" (you don't wanna play in that one)
        If in one of these devices you have multiple entries of the same thing or drivers for stuff you don't have anymore, delete them all.

If you have some of those "!", start fixing.

Then, the story of my life, restart windowz.

Be prepared to feed your PC with all the driver's CDs and diskettes.

Have fun

------------------
        Celery 366 OCed @ 458(83), Soyo 6BA+III, 64MB SDRAM, Millennium G400 DualHead (486 cpu fan), SB Live! Value, FBall KA 13.1Gig (7200rpm), Mitsumi CR-4804TE CD-RW, Intel based 21140 10/100 NIC, Nortel Networks HSA1300 1-meg ADSL modem and also a ModemBlaster DI5630... enough!

--
        Gilles Lalonde
        SysAdmin (.RPM)
        Linkedin

Comment

No, I installed win2k 2195 pro last night to a formatted partition. Brand new everything. The matrox drivers are just crap, nuff said.

Comment

In my opinion whining about beta drivers, and all other posts rooted in toilet training issues, should be confined to the Soap Box.

Paul
            paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

I have had the same problem with win2k... as for the gamma problem, it seems to work for me when you pull the slider down to almost the lowest, it gets real bright, then slide it up to the brightest... as for the fire button sticking, i haven't had that problem, but my scroll button quits working sometimes which makes it a pain to switch weapons... and yes, it seems to run slow even at default settings, and the menu, especially the first menu, is incredibly slow and laggy... just wanting to give my experiences...

Comment

I'm sure Matrox will be willing to address this when the OS is released to the public. Until then, messing with beta stuff always brings with it some headaches.

DS
                Games Box
                --------------
                Windows 2000Pro, ASUS A7Pro, Duron 750@950, 192MB Micron PC133, OEM Radeon DDR, 15gb Quantum Fireball+ LM, Fujitsu 5.25gb, Pioneer 32x slot load CDROM, SB Live! Value, LinkSys LNE100, Altec Lansing ACS45.2, Samsung Syncmaster 955DF, Sycom 300va UPS

Video Box
                ------
                Windows 2000Pro, PIII700 on ASUS CUBX, 256mb Micron PC133, Vanilla G400/32 (PD5.14), Hauppage WinTV-DBX, LinkSys LNE100, 8.4gb Maxtor HD, 40gb 7200 Western Digital, Diamond Fireport 40 SCSI, Pioneer 32x SCSI Slot load CDROM, Pioneer 10x Slot load DVD, Yamaha 4416s burner, MX300, Panasonic Panasync S70

Feline Tech Support
                -------------
                Jinx the Grey Thundercat, Mischa (Shilsner?)(still MIA)

...currently working on the world's first C64 based parallel computing project

Comment

Hehehe... Good answer Syd!
                  --
                  Gilles Lalonde
                  SysAdmin (.RPM)
                  Linkedin

Comment

Yes, stop bitching. You're using drivers for an OS that isn't even on the shelves for 3 months.
                    Also, isn't the word beta in the driver name? What the hell do you think that means? If they thought it was ready to go, it wouldn't be beta, now would it?

Damn whiners.

Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Funny.

I don't recall Windows 2000 Professional being anywhere close to being labeled a consumer-grade OS that'd run games.
                      ==
                      "In Japan, I was in a relationship for seven years and my boyfriend never once heard me pee." --Miho Ogawa, 29, a Japanese waitress living in New York / Giant Robot 24

Comment

Well it runs games hella good... just not wif Matrox vid cards

Comment

Working...
                        X