UT problems....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UT problems....

...but not with my G400. Picked up the full version last night. Got it running bot matches wonerfully at 1024x768 with 32bit textures and color depth, details all buffed out.

My problem is with internet play.
    Horrible lag.
    I'm running an a 56k modem, and can play all other on-line games fine, but I get a constant "phone jack" icon as soon as I connect to a game of UT.
    Both Pingtool and the in-game finder will show a ~200 ping, but once in the game, it reports 2000-4000, but with 0% packet loss.

I have upgraded to the latest 402 version.

I've looked at UT sites and forums, and seen a few with similar problems, but no answers.
    I've tried messing with the netspeed command, to no avail.

Anyone have a clue, or know a good UT website that breaks down console commands and .ini file info?
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Don't look at me, I'm lucky to get a 28,800 connection waaaaay out in the country here......

Needless to say I gave up on online gaming....

Comment

try disabling compression and retrain on your modem, I have a 3com (usr) 56k V.90 and hyad the same problem, also, download Ispeed and set it at the PPP setting
      jim
      System 1:
      AMD 1.4 AYJHA-Y factory unlocked @ 1656 with Thermalright SK6 and 7k Delta fan
      Epox 8K7A
      2x256mb Micron pc-2100 DDR
      an AGP port all warmed up and ready to be stuffed full of Parhelia II+
      SBLIVE 5.1
      Maxtor 40g 7,200 @ ATA-100
      IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
      Pinnacle DV Plus firewire
      3Com Hardware Modem
      Teac 20/10/40 burner
      Antec 350w power supply in a Colorcase 303usb Stainless

New system: Under development

Comment

Kruzin:

Try this; don't hop on to the lowest ping servers. Get on one ~300 ping. I haven't had as severe problems as you, but I did notice U.T.'s server browers pings aren't accurate most of the time.

The Rock
        Bart

Comment

Compression and retraining have been long disabled on mine. It's also a USR 56k (actually have 2 of em in there, but only one phone line ). I spent many weeks tweaking my net connection last year when I started playing Q2. I am confident in my ISP, and I have a locked connetion speed of 48k. Never retrains, v.90 and MNP5 are disabled.

I can play any other on-line game without problems (well, modems always have occasional periods of lag, but not like this). I just tried again, after tweaking my .ini file a bit. It was not as bad, but still totally unplayable. It was like any other game, but in reverse. Terrible lag, with the occasional non-lag play. My ping was usually going from 1200-7000, and once in a while would drop to ~250 fow a few seconds.

Scoured the GT forums. There are quite a few threads there about it, but still no answers. The company certainly isn't saying anything about it. Most people there are in denial that it could be a netcode issue, and nobody has any suggestions besides netspeed (or getting cable/dsl) to remedy it.

I found GTs console command and variables list. What a waste of time that is. Not all the variables are documented, and the ones that are have only a few words to describe them.
          Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

He he finally Try 800/32 with medium detail for online play. The G400 gets quite busy at 1024/32 and above and may be sucking the life out of your modem at that res.
            P3@600 | Abit BH6 V1.01 NV | 256MB PC133 | G400MAX (EU,AGP2X) | Quantum Atlas 10K | Hitachi CDR-8330 | Diamond FirePort 40 | 3c905B-TX | TB Montego A3D(1) | IntelliMouse Explorer | Iiyama VisionMaster Pro 17 | Win2K/NT4

Comment

I did try that. My modem(s) are ISA sportsters, so they do not rely on the processor, or PCI bus.

However, I'm now not so confident in my ISP.
              I hooked up through my boss's ISP. Identical dial-up settings as my own ISP, except his ISP requires DNS numbers, and mine automatically assigns them.
              The game worked fine.
              I joined a server that pingtool reported ~300 ping, in the game, it reported ~250, and was steady and playable.

But why? Other games work fine. What is UT so picky about??

Comment

Yeah I wonder too. UT's netcode is excellent for 128kbps and up, but many people are complaining about 56K dial up. Often swapping ISP's will solve the problem.
                Besides client/server issues, only latency and packet loss can be the source of the problem (at UDP level). Maybe some ISP's are using firewalls lagging on UT's UDP ports...

On the sites you asked for:

Check out http://unreal.epicgames.com/UTConsole.htm for console commands. 'IAMTHEONE' (to enable cheats) is not listed, but except for that it's pretty much complete.

AFAIK, there's no site for up to date ini file settings for UT (even outdated info is incomplete). Best try a web search for individual settings.
                P3@600 | Abit BH6 V1.01 NV | 256MB PC133 | G400MAX (EU,AGP2X) | Quantum Atlas 10K | Hitachi CDR-8330 | Diamond FirePort 40 | 3c905B-TX | TB Montego A3D(1) | IntelliMouse Explorer | Iiyama VisionMaster Pro 17 | Win2K/NT4

Comment

Sorry to hear about the problems Kruzin. I would suspenct your ISP as well, if for no other reason than I have the same modem as you, and have been quite happy with online play. An explanation of why UT is more picky than others would be nice though. If you've already done all the modem tweaks you can, I can't see much else you could try. I would recommend Ispeed as well, but if you've already manually tweaked your net settings, not much point.

Good luck.

DS
                  Games Box
                  --------------
                  Windows 2000Pro, ASUS A7Pro, Duron 750@950, 192MB Micron PC133, OEM Radeon DDR, 15gb Quantum Fireball+ LM, Fujitsu 5.25gb, Pioneer 32x slot load CDROM, SB Live! Value, LinkSys LNE100, Altec Lansing ACS45.2, Samsung Syncmaster 955DF, Sycom 300va UPS

Video Box
                  ------
                  Windows 2000Pro, PIII700 on ASUS CUBX, 256mb Micron PC133, Vanilla G400/32 (PD5.14), Hauppage WinTV-DBX, LinkSys LNE100, 8.4gb Maxtor HD, 40gb 7200 Western Digital, Diamond Fireport 40 SCSI, Pioneer 32x SCSI Slot load CDROM, Pioneer 10x Slot load DVD, Yamaha 4416s burner, MX300, Panasonic Panasync S70

Feline Tech Support
                  -------------
                  Jinx the Grey Thundercat, Mischa (Shilsner?)(still MIA)

...currently working on the world's first C64 based parallel computing project

Comment

Working...
                  X