Anybody else having this problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody else having this problem?

Boy a friendly bunch of folks here huh?Anyway nevermind I let the card go.Pitty i really wantd that card to work out for me.
    P3 450@504
    Abit BH6
    128mb pc100
    G400 32mb sh oem
    Mx300
    Kenwood 42x True-X
    Standard floppy
    6.4 Seagate Ultra ata/66 HDD
    8.4 Quantum Bigfoot TS(lol slave)
    Altec Lansing ACS-48's
    JBL Medis 2000's
    Soho 10/100 PCI NIC
    NEC MultiSync XV17+
    Intellimouse Explorer

Anybody else having this problem?

I have my G400 running smooth in Q3a and in UT.But I am having a problem that is getting on my nerves big time.I am getting these white lines in certain places in both Q3 and UT.I have tried everything from changing drivers to enabling/disabling evey option i can think of.These are the 2 games i am playing and plan on playing for a while and if i cant get this figured out i am going back to a TNT2 Ultra or Geforce(yes the problem bugs me that much).My G400 isnt overclocked.If anybody has any input on this I would very much appreciate it.Thanks in advance.

------------------
    P3 450@504
    Abit BH6
    128mb pc100
    G400 32mb sh oem
    Mx300
    Kenwood 42x True-X
    Standard floppy
    Altec Lansing ACS-48's
    JBL Medis 2000's
    Soho 10/100 PCI NIC
    NEC MultiSync XV17+
    Intellimouse Explorer
    P3 450@504
    Abit BH6
    128mb pc100
    G400 32mb sh oem
    Mx300
    Kenwood 42x True-X
    Standard floppy
    Altec Lansing ACS-48's
    JBL Medis 2000's
    Soho 10/100 PCI NIC
    NEC MultiSync XV17+
    Intellimouse Explorer

Comment

Boy, you sure hurt my feelings

Comment

yep he sure wanted the card to work for him waited less than one day before giveing up
        msi 6167 mobo k7 500 wk41 now at 650. 256 meg ram ,addtronics case w 250watt sp power supply, matrox g400, maxtor diammax 2500+ 10gig hd,10x aopen slot dvd, 3com 10/100 nic, sb live xgamer sound card, efecent networks dsl modem, dlink 701i dsl router/firewall, lots of controlers (joystick throttle rudder raceing wheel), 19in ctx monitor, logitech mouseman wheel usb, and klipsch promedia v2-400 speakers. win98 oem and win2k pro dual boot.

noel
        it's times like this that make me think of my fathers last words....

Don't son that gun is loaded.

Comment

OMGTKacs48. You basterds!
          P3@600 | Abit BH6 V1.01 NV | 256MB PC133 | G400MAX (EU,AGP2X) | Quantum Atlas 10K | Hitachi CDR-8330 | Diamond FirePort 40 | 3c905B-TX | TB Montego A3D(1) | IntelliMouse Explorer | Iiyama VisionMaster Pro 17 | Win2K/NT4

Comment

FYI i had ben battling problems with that card for over 2 weeks.Thats just too long to get a card running like it should with as long as it has been out.Matrox makes good products but need to work on their driver support.Come on they havent a set that fully uses Dx7.
            P3 450@504
            Abit BH6
            128mb pc100
            G400 32mb sh oem
            Mx300
            Kenwood 42x True-X
            Standard floppy
            Altec Lansing ACS-48's
            JBL Medis 2000's
            Soho 10/100 PCI NIC
            NEC MultiSync XV17+
            Intellimouse Explorer

Comment

OK. Thanks for the Q3 tweaks anyway
              P3@600 | Abit BH6 V1.01 NV | 256MB PC133 | G400MAX (EU,AGP2X) | Quantum Atlas 10K | Hitachi CDR-8330 | Diamond FirePort 40 | 3c905B-TX | TB Montego A3D(1) | IntelliMouse Explorer | Iiyama VisionMaster Pro 17 | Win2K/NT4

Comment

Well I'm in the same situation as acs48, I get these dotted white lines in Quake3. My G400 with turboGL is slightly faster than a TNT2 and I would probably benefit more from a CPU upgrade if I keep the G400. However these lines are really annoying. Anyone found a solution for this problem ?

My system:
                Celeron433, G400 SH 32MB, SBlive, 128 MB Ram.

The shortest distance between two points is under construction.

Comment

Scytale I hope you found some of those useful.Yggdrasil the problem is very annoying
                  isnt it?Im not downing Matrox in anyway,i think they make fine products and am surley gonna keep my eye out for their next card.I always heard people bragging on the image quality of the 3d/2d of the G400,and they were right,best i have seen to date.Its just Q3 and UT are mainly what i play now and those lines were driving me insane hehe.im just going back to the TNT2U for now and wait for Matrox to release their next batch and give it a go.One thing is certain,im not gonna buy a Gefarce or Viper2.You guys were helpful in answering alot of my questions,for that thank you.You have a great little community going on here and hopefully i will be a part of it again when Matrox releases their next cards,im not giving up on them,just going with a option that is better for me at the present time.

P3 450@504
                  Abit BH6
                  128mb pc100
                  G400 32mb sh oem
                  Mx300
                  Kenwood 42x True-X
                  Standard floppy
                  Altec Lansing ACS-48's
                  JBL Medis 2000's
                  Soho 10/100 PCI NIC
                  NEC MultiSync XV17+
                  Intellimouse Explorer

Comment

Annoying they are...
                    I also noticed that in the q3 driver info the turboGL driver does not use a stencil buffer ("0 bits"). Sorry if this sounds stupid but maybe this is the source of the problem ? I admit I don't know exactly what a stencil buffer is supposed to do. Maybe some kind soul can enlighten me ?
                    Thanks in advance

PS: hehe, "GeFarce", like that one

Comment

Yggdrasil: Could you be running with a 16-bit z-buffer? Enable 32-bit z-buffer in matrox powerdesk. I´m not sure, but running with 32 bit z disabled gives 0 stencil buffer in Q3. Some say that stencil buffer is not active at all, but the full ogl icd reports 32 bit color 32 bit z 8 bit stencil and turbo gl reports 32/24/8.

But if you are running with 16 bit z no wonder you are getting artifacts, Q3 for a change really needs 32 bit z

Boy a friendly bunch of folks here huh?
                      acs48: Did the idea that nobody had actually nothing helpfull to say crossed your mind? Maybe you´d prefer 50 posts saying "that´s strange, q3 works fine for me, I wonder what´s wrong?" Don´t know about the others, but my answer would be something like that. Now that Yggdrasil posted that 0 stencil, this idea that you people could be using 16 bit z crossed my mind.

Comment

I tried both settings, with 16 bit Z-buffer _and_ 32 bit Z-buffer but to no avail. I even tried to fiddle with the r_stencilbits variable in Q3, no success either. Lastly I tried various values for "AGP aperture size" even beyond 64 MB.
                        When I use the standard ICD the stencil buffer is active (8 bit) and no artifacts are visible. That's exactly why I suspect the missing stencil to be responsible for the problem. Performance is really bad with the standard ICD however, thus it is not an option.

Anyways thanks for your time Nuno.

[This message has been edited by Yggdrasil (edited 18 December 1999).]

Comment

Have you tried setting your CPU back to it's default settings. By using a 112MHz FSB speed to get to 504 you are in a way over-clocking the G400 in that it is running at a higher AGP bus speed (74MHz ver the standard 66MHz). Just a thought.

Joel
                          Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
                          Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

I concur with Joel. Why is it that people who are trying to do something screwy always presume it is a problem with the most recent component, as opposed to something they've been doing wrong all along?

Just because the Voodoo/TNT/CardX is more tolerant of poor overclocking doesn't mean there's something WRONG with the G400, sheesh!

- Gurm

------------------
                            Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
                            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                            If only life were as easy as you
                            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                            If only life were as easy as you
                            I would still get screwed

Comment

Since I do not overclock my CPU but am experiencing exactly the same problem as acs48 it's unlikely that overclocking is the problem. Anyways maybe you should give it a try acs48.

Comment

Working...
                              X