Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone having problems getting current version of directx?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone having problems getting current version of directx?

I have installed PD 5.30.007 and DirectX 7. But when I compare the DirectX file versions with what MS mentions they SHOULD be, I notice many files weren't updated and I suspect that's the reason why I have games like HOMM3 that freeze up on me (and running the Age of Empires 2 demo said that I didn't even have DirectX 6.1 or higher, yeesh).

These are the files that were in my system that are of older versions than what MS suggests should be on my system after installing DirectX 7:

DDRAWEX
    DXAPI
    DPLAYX
    DPMODEMX
    DPWSOCKX
    DPLAYSVR
    DINPUT
    JOY
    GCDEF

Any ideas if the above files being older versions possibly causing the problems I mentioned above and is there an easy way to fix this? Reinstalling DX7 doesn't do anything.

Thanks!

Al

godzilla,

I'm a little confused by your message, but have you run DirectXDiagnostic Tools (Program=> Accessories => System Tools => System Information)? Usually the first place I go for problems with DirectX.

What are the results?

Comment

Yeah, I did that... sent it to Matrox support too. Twice. All they said was to check if the G400 Max card was next to any other card. I said no and they never got back to me both times. I'm not sure what I'm looking for in the system info file.

Comment

BTW, the DirectX Diagnostic tool says "No Problems Found" under the DirectX Files tab... That's where I looked up the files' version numbers to compare what is listed on the Microsoft website to see that I was still using outdated drivers...

Comment

Godzilla,
          If you want to get those DX7 files updated, the easiest way is to rename them to something like DDRAWEX7 (so you don't lose them) and then reinstall DX7. That way DX7 will think they are missing and replace them with current versions. If the reinstall fails, then just name the old files back to their original names.

RAB

AMD K6III-450; Epox EP-MVP3G5; G400DH32; Maxtor 10gig UDMA66; 128meg PC100; Aureal SQ2500 sound; PCI Modem Blaster; Linksys 10/100 NIC; Mag 800V 19"; AL ACS54 4 speaker sound; Logitech wireless mouse; Logitech Wingman Extreme (great for lefties)

Comment

OK, what RAB said did the trick... thanks! Still not sure if that fixed my HOMM3 problem as I lent that CD to my brother since it had kept crashing my machine, however, at least the FF8 demo isn't crashing my machine anymore...

Comment

Glad to help!
              RAB
              AMD K6III-450; Epox EP-MVP3G5; G400DH32; Maxtor 10gig UDMA66; 128meg PC100; Aureal SQ2500 sound; PCI Modem Blaster; Linksys 10/100 NIC; Mag 800V 19"; AL ACS54 4 speaker sound; Logitech wireless mouse; Logitech Wingman Extreme (great for lefties)

Comment

Working...
              X