Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What kind of FPS should I be getting with D3D in Unreal? Does this sound correct?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What kind of FPS should I be getting with D3D in Unreal? Does this sound correct?

40-50 FPS at 800x600 with everything turned on in the Display options? At the same resolution in OpenGL I can get as high as 250 FPS. That's right... 250 FPS, with everything turned on. And a couple more questions...
    Under the "Display" option, what do I want enabled? Currently I have:

Capture Mouse: True
    Curved Surfaces: False
    NoLighting: False
    ScreeFlashes: False
    SkinDetail: False
    SlowVideoBuffering: False
    StartupFullscreen: True
    TextureDetail: High
    UseDirectDraw: True
    UseJoystick: False

What do i want to change? And what the heck is that "SlowVideoBuffering" all about? And do I need to use DirectDraw?

Next, under "Rendering/Direct3D Support" everything is set to True.
    I'm curious about the option "Use3DFX." What is that and should it be set to "true"? Infact what do all of these do?

Coronas: True
    HighDetailActors: True
    ShinySurfaces: True
    Use3dfx: True
    UseDetailTextures: True
    UseFullscreen: True
    UseGammaCorrection: True
    UseMipmapping: True
    UseMultitexture: True
    UsePageFlipping: True
    UsePalettes: True
    UseTrilinear: True
    UseTripleBuffering: True
    VolumetricLighting: True

Can someone please explain to me what the terms in BOLD do? And if they effect anything in the game? Thanks.
    That's it. For the G400 Options, I have the 32-bit Z-buffering option enabled. My comp is a P3, 450MHz, 128 Ram, 10 gig system.
    I'm not into Unreal a whole lot, but I just want to see if my card is working properly and if it can handle the things I throw at it. Later guys.
    McRhea

C'mon guys, I need answer please!
    McRhea

Comment

Opengl 250 fps ha ha ha, 25.0fps that is better at 512x384 res.

bye

Comment

SlowVideoBuffering - may speed up transparancy when enabled
        UseDirectDraw - just that (false=non accelerated)
        Use3DFx - use DirectDraw on Voodoo
        UseMipMapping - enable mipmapping
        UsePageFlipping - enable double/triple buffering?
        UsePalettes - use palettized textures
        UseTrilinear - 3linear filtering (instead of 2linear)
        UseTripleBuffering - just that, disable when VSync is disabled

[This message has been edited by Scytale (edited 18 December 1999).]
        P3@600 | Abit BH6 V1.01 NV | 256MB PC133 | G400MAX (EU,AGP2X) | Quantum Atlas 10K | Hitachi CDR-8330 | Diamond FirePort 40 | 3c905B-TX | TB Montego A3D(1) | IntelliMouse Explorer | Iiyama VisionMaster Pro 17 | Win2K/NT4

Comment

So skytale you should disable directdraw if you have a 3d accelarator? you said usedirectdraw (not accelerated)

------------------
          ***TRUST IN YOUR TECHNOLUST***
          <A HREF="http://jediphoenix.iscool.net/
          " TARGET=_blank>http://jediphoenix.iscool.net/
          </A>

Comment

..... Uh... yeah. Should I put UseDirectDraw to False? I've disabled it and played for awhile, but I couldn't tell the difference. I guess it doesn't matter.
            Hey, thanks for telling me some of that stuff.
            McRhea

Comment

There

To elaborate on the settings - many only apply to software mode and have no meaning for D3D. I guess some other settings are pretty much historical (original Unreal).

[This message has been edited by Scytale (edited 18 December 1999).]
              P3@600 | Abit BH6 V1.01 NV | 256MB PC133 | G400MAX (EU,AGP2X) | Quantum Atlas 10K | Hitachi CDR-8330 | Diamond FirePort 40 | 3c905B-TX | TB Montego A3D(1) | IntelliMouse Explorer | Iiyama VisionMaster Pro 17 | Win2K/NT4

Comment

How much acid would I have to pop before I can see 250 fps in Unreal OpenGL? Do I buy this acid from Epic?

The Rock
                Bart

Comment

The 250 FPS sounds impossible huh? Well try this. Go to the single player level, "The Trench." Hit F5 until your HUD is not displayed (I've found that having the HUD up can hit your FPS as much as 20). Then go to the VERY end of the level, up to the engines of the ISV-Kran(use the command "fly"), right into the big black parts, and watch your FPS skyrocket. I didn't say that 250FPS was average for me... it's gotten that high... I get about 50-70 FPS average, depending on the map. Also, once you get right next to the wall of the engines, and you can't go anymore, try changing guns and while the gun is being changed, pause the game. Yeah!!!!!!
                  McRhea

Comment

Working...
                  X