Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I tried everything - TurboGL just would not work!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I tried everything - TurboGL just would not work!

Here's my system:
    AMD K6-2 400 (Not OCd)
    64 MB SDRAM
    FIC VIA 503+ (MVP3) Mobo with AGP 2x
    MATROX Millenium G400 32Mb DualHead (not OCd)
    32X Max LG CDRom
    A3D 1.0 "Multiwave" Sound Card
    -------------------------------

I tried everyting - 5.30, 5.40, 5.41 drivers,
    switched OFF: "Read Around Write","read Pipeline", Write Pipeline", "Video BIOS Casheable" in BIOS (and still have them off).
    Updated the VIA drivers. Have Unchecked in Display Options "32bit Z-buffer". Updated G400's BIOS to the latest one. Tried switching off "Bus mastering", but then the 2
    games I have managed to run with the Matrox ICD would not even start (looks like OpenGL is dependent on it?). Heretic 2 and Quake 2 run ok, with default OpenGL, but crash after awhile (screen gets corrupted with vertical lines, and everything freezes), also so does Drakan (D3D game?), when "Bus Mastering" is ON. So, back to TurboGL - I have the latest version 1.00.002 (5,41,6,1), that should support K6-2, but I cannot set my AGP memory to 256 (menu only goes to 64, which I have set). After installing it in both Q2 and Heretic2 - both crash (screen becomes all gray, and keyboard frozen) as soon as I switch to ingame OpenGL mode. Also I have tried switching off the dualhead Clone to Off - made no difference. And both games were patched to latest versions.
    Right now I'm using 5.41 drivers, since under 5.30 - Quake2 would not even work with OpenGl ICD.

Any help will be appreciated -
    Thanks in Advance!
    AMD K6-2 400 (Not OCd)
    128 MB SDRAM
    FIC VIA 503+ (MVP3) Mobo with AGP 2x
    MATROX Millenium G400 32Mb DualHead (not OCd)
    32X Max LG CDRom
    A3D 1.0 "Multiwave" Sound Card
    40Gb WD HDD
    Windows 98SE
    DirectX 8

I am having a similar experience, however, I did get it to run in OpenGL mode ONCE...which is probably worse for me because I got to see what it can do in Unreal Tournament. Roughly 2X my D3D rates.

When I launch UT, I get the first few seconds of the audio of the demo/intro looping and the screen sticks usually with part of my desktop visible, and the system is locked and doesn't respond to CTRL-ALT-DEL.

Quake2 runs fine so far with Default OpenGL setting after using the TurboGL manager to insert it there.

Hardware:

ASUS K7M (latest BIOS)
    AMD Athlon K7-600
    128MB PC100
    Matrox Marvel G400
    Diamond Monster MX300

Drivers/Software:

PowerDesk 5.30.007
    TurboGL 5.41.006.001 For K7 Processor
    Unreal Tournament (build 402)
    DirectX 7.1

I have done the Matrox uninstaller/re-install ritual a few times, to no avail.

Anyone?
    - --- -- --- - - -- - ----- - ---
    P3-600
    128MB
    G400-TV
    (everything else is incidental)

Comment

D_Chaloupov,

Hi, the TurboGL works very well on my system. And I think I have the most similiar system to yours.

Here's my system info:

AMD K6-2 400MHz (oc' from 350MHz)
      64MB SDRAM
      Microstar MS-5148 (MVP3)
      VIA AGP GART 3.56 Turbo mode.
      Matrox Millenium G400 DH (oc' 297MHz + SDRAM/SGRAM optimization)
      32X MAX LG CDROM
      10.2G Seagate UDMA/33
      1.2G Seagate
      SBLive Value (latest driver Nov'99);
      Win98 SE + Shutdown supplement.
      BIOS AGP Aperture set at 128MB. (Max)

Remember, TurboGL won't work with latest Powerdesk 5.41. Powerdesk 5.30 works just fine. And, my G400 is in AGP 2x mode as verified by PCIList.

Anything I can help you?

KJ Liew

Comment

Hi

to FOGDUCK:

Try this:

reinstall the AGP Miniport, and right after that, reinstall the G400 drivers. I had shitloads of problems running TGL too, but it seems that installing the miniport just before the drivers fix that.

Try going around this, if it doesnt work, you might have to format... I dont remember if you have to reboot after the miniport, try it

Good Luck!

My system:

Asus K7M, K7-500@550, 128 ram, WD 13.6gb 7200rpm, G400 32mb DH, SB Live! value, Yamaha 4416s, PCWorks FPS 1000, Optiquest V73, STB TV Tuner, TekRam 390 scsi card, SupraExpress 56i sp, Ethernet card, Gravis Exterminator, Wheelmouse.
        Asus K7M, Athlon 500 (sometimes at 550), G400 32mb DH, SB Live! Value, Optiquest 17" V73, Western Digital Expert 13.6 7200rpm, Datatrain DC154 14", Yamaha 4416s, STB Tv Tuner, TekRam SCSI card, 128MB RAM, Cambrige PCworks 4pt surround, Lexmark 5700, SupraExpress 56k), RealTek ethernet card.

Comment

There is, apparently, a very precise sequence for installing the 4-in-1 drivers, the AGP port, and the Matrox drivers. Also, I believe you should be using 5.30, although I could be wrong.

I'm not an expert on VIA chipset issues, although we do have a fair number of VIA users here, and they are far better equipt to handle this.

However, you can do a search right now. The sequence has been posted quite a number of times.

Good luck.

Paul
          paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Working...
          X