G400 and Q3a tweaking 101

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400 and Q3a tweaking 101

Some of this is probably old news to some of you but i thought it would still be worth posting.If you own medium grade system and are on 56k like myself,this will benefit you the most.I gained just over 30 fps in timedemo1 in 800x600 16bit by changing some things around.Alot of this is old Q2 tweaks rehashed.Before you change anything write your old values down in case you run into any problems!!

**The Bios**
    Shameless rip from Tweak3d.com

Video BIOS cacheable - Set to disabled. Performance should be slightly increased.

Video BIOS shadow - Set to disabled. Usually increases video card performance. If you encounter problems, set back to default and restart your system.

PCI Palette Snoop - Set to disabled. An old BIOS feature used mainly when running a daughter video board.

VGA Palette Snoop - Set to disabled. Another old VGA BIOS feature not required by today's more advanced video card.

C8xxxx-CBxxxx Shadow - Set all to disabled. Video shadowing often creates conflicts with other devices within your computer. Try enabling these a few at a time and if your system remains stable, performance will gradually increase.

AGP Aperture Size - I have 128mb ram and set this to 256 and have no problems.

In game options
    ejecting brass
    marks on walls
    dynamic lights
    simple items off(i like the 3d pickups,about a 3fps hit with them on)

The Q3a config
    Just open it with Wordpad and change these values.Back up your old one.
    com_maxfps "35" default is 85,too high
    cg_gibs 0
    com blood 0
    cg_draw3dicons 0
    cg_drawattacker 0

Preference Tweaks
    seta cg_drawgun "0" hides gun

cg_bobup default is "0.002"
    cg_bobpitch default is "0.002"
    cg_bobroll default is "0.005"

setting the above 3 values to "0.000" and you will no longer bob when you walk.

cg_railTrailTime
    Default value is 400,i use 200,reduces railtrail time

cg_fov
    Default is 90.Anything between 100 and 120 is good,anything over that starts getting a little strange,use whats good for you,i use 110.Also i find it best to turn off guns if you use a diff fov value other than default.As I mentioned set cg_drawgun "0" to do so.

I will play around with my config some more and if i find anymore useful settings i will post them.I encourage you to get familiar with your config file and play around with it until you find a setup that you like.This is the setup i use and will give you a good staring point.Hope this helps some of you

------------------
    P3 450@504
    Abit BH6
    128mb pc100
    G400 32mb sh oem
    Mx300
    Kenwood 42x True-X
    Standard floppy
    6.4 Seagate Ultra ata/66 HDD
    8.4 Quantum Bigfoot TS(lol slave)
    Altec Lansing ACS-48's
    JBL Medis 2000's
    Soho 10/100 PCI NIC
    NEC MultiSync XV17+
    Intellimouse Explorer

[This message has been edited by acs48 (edited 15 December 1999).]
    P3 450@504
    Abit BH6
    128mb pc100
    G400 32mb sh oem
    Mx300
    Kenwood 42x True-X
    Standard floppy
    Altec Lansing ACS-48's
    JBL Medis 2000's
    Soho 10/100 PCI NIC
    NEC MultiSync XV17+
    Intellimouse Explorer

Here is another if you guys wanna try it.Not really a performance tweak but a nice visual.You will take a slight performance hit with this.

seta r_subdivisions "1"
    seta r_lodbias "-2"
    seta r_lodCurveError "10000"
    seta r_stencilbits "8"

These are settings that enable extreme curved surfaces (even when you zoom they are still smooth) and highest poly rendering of models.

P3 450@504
    Abit BH6
    128mb pc100
    G400 32mb sh oem
    Mx300
    Kenwood 42x True-X
    Standard floppy
    Altec Lansing ACS-48's
    JBL Medis 2000's
    Soho 10/100 PCI NIC