Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not a rant, but some (trying to anyways) unbiased look at UT.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not a rant, but some (trying to anyways) unbiased look at UT.

I downloaded the UT demo(latest one I could find) and installed. Good colors, fast, interesting and fun mods built right into the demo, some interesting weapons.
    Now, for my gripes. Secondary fire, some say a good change. Normally, I would agree. But in my first experience with UT CTF, a blue player let loose 6 rockets at me. Umm... how the hell do I avoid 6 rockets(no, I won't use dodge. It has a nasty habit of causing my death on the space levels ) that I suspect are homing rockets? No grapple(that "translocator" doesn't cut it for me) and inaccurate weapons are also a major beef for me. Also, all these people wondering how UT can run faster on their systems and not in Q3? Umm... Do you realize that it is an updated engine that was released in 98(even back then, it was dated somewhat)?

Sorry if you guys have heard this all before, but I have read a lot on the "good" points of UT and Q3 bashing. I finally decided to check out UT and see what the big deal was. Sadly I was disapointed.
    To all of you complainers out there with your Banshee/V2/V3/V2SLI cards out there, what the hell did you think would happen when you bought them? You were "set" for a long time? I had to put up with a G200 while all of you raved about your Q2 performance(damn that felt good getting G400 and finding out I could do a lot more than with Voodoo GFX cards. I nearly broke down and bought a V2 last year. heh).
    P.S. If UT was to be redone in a NEW engine, work done on the aiming, do away with the spam weapons, I would go out and buy it.
    Also, sorry if this sounds like flammage, but I am trying very hard to understand what the big deal is over UT. Someone enlighten me if I "don't see it"?
    Epox 8RDA+
    AMD XP 2500+ w/ Alpha PAL 8045
    512mb Samsung PC2700 DDR
    ATI 8500 64mb
    Hercules Fortissimo II
    Tekram DC-315U
    Pioneer DVD 303S
    Pioneer DVR-106
    Zip100 Internal
    Logitech MX 500 Mouse
    Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro
    Seagate Barracuda ATA IV 80 gig HD
    Seagate Barracuda ATA IV 40 gig HD
    LG Flatron 795FT+
    Sennheiser HD 570 Headphones
    Altec Lansing 641 Speakers

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I am also checking out UT because the makers of Weapons Factory are looking into making Weapons Factory for UT. If they do, I will be disapointed. I am not comparing UT to Q3(had plenty of problems there), just looking at it alone. Whoever makes a game that addresses all of the problems I listed, I will go out and buy right now.
    Epox 8RDA+
    AMD XP 2500+ w/ Alpha PAL 8045
    512mb Samsung PC2700 DDR
    ATI 8500 64mb
    Hercules Fortissimo II
    Tekram DC-315U
    Pioneer DVD 303S
    Pioneer DVR-106
    Zip100 Internal
    Logitech MX 500 Mouse
    Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro
    Seagate Barracuda ATA IV 80 gig HD
    Seagate Barracuda ATA IV 40 gig HD
    LG Flatron 795FT+
    Sennheiser HD 570 Headphones
    Altec Lansing 641 Speakers

Comment

If you dont get it,you probably wont.Move on and find something else that you like better.I could go on about the things in UT i like,but i wont.The things i like in a game and what you like are probably very different.I like it,so i play it.Dont mean to come across as a arse,just sick of every BBS i visit being filled with UT and Q3 posts.
      P3 450@504
      Abit BH6
      128mb pc100
      G400 32mb sh oem
      Mx300
      Kenwood 42x True-X
      Standard floppy
      6.4 Seagate Ultra ata/66 HDD
      8.4 Quantum Bigfoot TS(lol slave)
      Altec Lansing ACS-48's
      JBL Medis 2000's
      Soho 10/100 PCI NIC
      NEC MultiSync XV17+
      Intellimouse Explorer

Comment

Hi all

I also find the multiple rockets lunch a bit though to avoid... if your on a ledge or something then ok I just jump off quick but in an open area... I get toast every time.

One thing why it pisses me off is tha I can't find the way to do it myself.

I can Secondary fire grenades with the rocket luncher but not rockets... HOW?

Cya

------------------
        Celery 366 OCed @ 458(83), Soyo 6BA+III, 64MB SDRAM, Millennium G400 DualHead (486 cpu fan), SB Live Value!, FBall KA 13.1Gig (7200rpm), Mitsumi CR-4804TE CD-RW, Intel based 21140 10/100 NIC, Nortel Networks HSA1300 1-meg ADSL modem and also a ModemBlaster DI5630... enough!

--
        Gilles Lalonde
        SysAdmin (.RPM)
        Linkedin

Comment

MotherDawg-
          To fire multiple rockets, hold down the primary fire button. You will be able to see and here the launcher loading multiple rockets (up to 6). It will automatically fire at 6, so don't be facing a wall . Letting go of the primary fire will fire a spread of rockets, holding secondary fire when you release the primary will concentrate the rockets in a tight bunch (for lack of a better term).

Hope that helps!
          Games Box
          --------------
          Windows 2000Pro, ASUS A7Pro, Duron 750@950, 192MB Micron PC133, OEM Radeon DDR, 15gb Quantum Fireball+ LM, Fujitsu 5.25gb, Pioneer 32x slot load CDROM, SB Live! Value, LinkSys LNE100, Altec Lansing ACS45.2, Samsung Syncmaster 955DF, Sycom 300va UPS

Video Box
          ------
          Windows 2000Pro, PIII700 on ASUS CUBX, 256mb Micron PC133, Vanilla G400/32 (PD5.14), Hauppage WinTV-DBX, LinkSys LNE100, 8.4gb Maxtor HD, 40gb 7200 Western Digital, Diamond Fireport 40 SCSI, Pioneer 32x SCSI Slot load CDROM, Pioneer 10x Slot load DVD, Yamaha 4416s burner, MX300, Panasonic Panasync S70

Feline Tech Support
          -------------
          Jinx the Grey Thundercat, Mischa (Shilsner?)(still MIA)

...currently working on the world's first C64 based parallel computing project

Comment

Thx Syd...

But when I do that, it just fires single rocket one after the other.

Is ther a switch or a key something that as to be set?

I remapped the keys the way I was use to in Q2 on my old box that came from some top Q2 guy at Blue News.

Q straf left
            W forward
            E straf right
            S Backwards
            and stuff... I changed most of the keys.

Hope the TGL for wimpy CPUs like my Celery finaly make Q3 run on my machine.

Cya

------------------
            Celery 366 OCed @ 458(83), Soyo 6BA+III, 64MB SDRAM, Millennium G400 DualHead (486 cpu fan), SB Live Value!, FBall KA 13.1Gig (7200rpm), Mitsumi CR-4804TE CD-RW, Intel based 21140 10/100 NIC, Nortel Networks HSA1300 1-meg ADSL modem and also a ModemBlaster DI5630... enough!

--
            Gilles Lalonde
            SysAdmin (.RPM)
            Linkedin

Comment

Mother..

There is an option you probably have enabled called "quick fire rockets" or something similar.

This option lets you fire single rockets faster, but prevents firing multiple. It's in the options somewhere, go look

After been playing Assault all night, I must admit that UT is a fun game and it looks good too

------------------
              Cya,
              J.

"Unix can be a cynical Operating System for a person whos mind is limited to a Windows user interface"

System specs:
              AMD Athlon 600mhz, 256MB RAM, Matrox Millenium G200 (PD5.41), Nothing O/C.
              Running Windows 98SE & Redhat Linux 6.1

Cya,
              J.

"Unix can be a cynical Operating System for a person whos mind is limited to a Windows user interface"

System specs:
              AMD Athlon 600mhz, OEM FIC SD11, 192MB RAM, Matrox Millenium G200 (PD5.41), Nothing O/C.
              Running Windows 98SE & Linux Mandrake 7

Comment

I just plain don't like Unreal/UT/WOT/Game X. The engine is just too... I dunno... cartoony.

*shrug*

- Ash
                The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                If only life were as easy as you
                I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                If only life were as easy as you
                I would still get screwed

Comment

Like everything, it's all a matter of tastes. I personally bought both Q3 and UT and I like them both a lot. Q3 is a lot more mindless than UT for me. I like the secondary fire. And the 6 rocket thing isnt just a 6 rocket attack. It isnt as eay to use as ya think, since you have to hold the button to get them in there, you are very vulnerable to snipers. And it automatically fires at 6. So if your not carefull, you'll either blow yerself up or waste 6 rockets. It's kinda like the railgun in q3. Way to powerfull IMO, but then again, this is my opinion only. I've also never had any problems with acuracy. Hell, on a LAN I can actually use the sniper rifle pretty well

ANyways, thats my 3 quarters.
                  A computer is like sex. Your never 100% sure what your doing but when all goes well, it feels REAL good.

Comment

Working...
                  X