Corrupted textures in OpenGL games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corrupted textures in OpenGL games

Ok, I don't know if this is a known problem, but I haven't been able to find it anywhere in the fora, so I'll just post it here.

My system:
    -P2-266 clocked at 112*2,5=280
    -Matrox Millennium G200 8MB not oc'd
    -Bios 2.6
    -Powerdesk 5.13
    -Windows 98
    -DirectX 6.1a

I've been having this problem with every ICD (beta & 'final') and every bios I tried: After some time in OpenGL games (mostly Quake2 and Half Life) a number of textures get corrupted. It gets worse when I play on, but when I quit the game and immediately restart it, it is gone. For some time then, usually it starts again after 10 to 20 minutes.

Look at these screenshots:
    <a href="http://www.avbohemen.demon.nl/zooi/hl_corr.jpg" target=new1>Half Life</a>
    <a href="http://www.avbohemen.demon.nl/zooi/quake2_corr.jpg" target=new2>Quake2</a>

Is this a heat or overclocking problem? Personally I don't think so, the errors also occur when the system is not oc'd, and it also works perfectly in D3D (Half Life that is)

So is this a (known?) OpenGL problem? Can I expect a solution in next PD releases?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Anton

Hi there

Yes it´s a known issue with the 5.13 ICD. And yes, many people are getting exactly that texture corruption you show in the screenshots, there´s nothing to do with overheating.

I found a workaround, while Matrox doesn´t release a new set of drivers: In half-life and quake2, when I start them, most of the times there is texture corruptions, no matter what resolution I am running at. Well, I exit to the menu, change the resolution, restart the game, and all the textures are ok. Then I exit againg to the menu, select the previous resolution and restart again. Example: start in 800x600 -> corruption: change to 1024x768 -> no corruption, change back to 800x600 -> no corruption, plays for hours.

Hope this helps

Comment

Well, it doesn't seem to be a 5.13-only problem, every other ICD did the same.

Thanks for the workaround, I'll try that.

[This message has been edited by AntonvB (edited 08-11-1999).]

Comment

I also get that effect sometimes, especially after changing maps in Quake2 CTF. When it happens, I can make it disappear by going into the video menu and simply pressing enter, thus reinitialising video.
        G200 8MB, celeron333@416 on chaintech 6BTM

Comment

Or use the "vid_restart" command. I have it bound to a key in my scripts, so just one key will reinit the video, and any corruptions are gone...
          Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Whoops, sorry, wrong thread

[This message has been edited by Paradox (edited 08-13-1999).]
            hi

Comment

I get those too with my new Matrox G400 card! I love the high resolution, but I am forced to go back to my Voodoo2 card because of this annoyance. Ugh! Good thing I can use both cards. Hehe!
              Ant @ The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.ma.cx)

Comment

I had the same problem with quakeworld an my G400. Adding the following lines to the autoexec.cfg solved it:
                r_dynamic 0
                gl_polyblend 0

I don't know for sure but I think the commands voor Q2 are about the same.
                EdSki

Comment

Working...
                X