Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5.41 and Quake I problems

Does anyone run Quake I these days?

I still haven't bought Quake II yet, so I still have Quake I installed on my HD, so I thought I would give it a try with my brand new G400MAX and the new 5.41 drivers.

YUCK!!! I get terrible texture corruption (purple/green/red etc splotches on the walls).
    Anyone else experienceing these or similar?
    Workhorse Athlon 1GHz, G400MAX
    Gamebox Athlon 1.3GHz Gforce3

sometimes they are trying to fix new bug issues with the new games i guess they cause new issues in some of the old ones.personally i would rather have new problems fixed instead of worrying about the old.a person can always run an older driver that worked with the old game.

------------------
    those who can do!!
    those who cant teach!!

Comment

But if the drivers that worked have other problems which make the drivers not so usable?

Anyway, the GLQuake rainbow textures and dynamic lighting has been broken since PD4.51 ICDb2 (some people have reported it broken with ICDb1 too) and who knows when Matrox is going to fix it. And yes, I have ranted about this particular issue after every damn PD release, so if Matrox people and BBoyz are not blind they should have this problem in their bugs-to-be-squashed-asap database. (No offence to either Matrox or BBoyz intended).

-Tumu

------------------
      Celeron 333 (not overclocked), GigaByte 6BXE Intel 440BX AGPset (bios v3.3),
      64MB PC100 RAM, G200 AGP 8MB SGRAM (not overclocked, a fan, bios v2.6),
      PD5.41, SB16 Value, 3COM Fast EtherLink XL, Sony Multiscan 100ES, HP8210i
      Win95OSR2.1 finnish

Celeron 333 (not overclocked), GigaByte 6BXE Intel 440BX AGPset (bios v3.4),
      64MB PC100 RAM, nVidia TNT2 32M (was G200 AGP 8MB SGRAM), SB Live! Value LW3.1, 3COM Fast EtherLink XL, Sony Multiscan 100ES, HP8210i
      Win98 finnish

Comment

Yes, I've had that bug since b1, and I really wish they'd fix it. I'm beginning to wonder if there isn't a flaw in the chip design.
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I cannot get GLQuake 1 to even run on my Matrox G400, I have tried several 'opengl32.dll' files from the matrox web site, but cannot get it to even load. Can someone help me please?

Comment

ITS QUAKE PEOPLE! WHO CARES!

sorry to burst your bubbles, but ITS not that great of a Game. Next thing you guys will be complaing becuase they havent added hardware support to Doom and DukeNukem! LOL.

Just Kidden guys.

------------------
            PIII 450 @ 464
            generic BX6 motherboard
            G400 MAX : )
            Maxtor 13 gig UDMA 33
            Maxtor 13 gig UDMA 66
            Creative 36x CD-ROM
            HP 2x2x6x CD-RW
            64 megs PC100 RAM
            Intel 10/100
            Soundblaster 32 AWE
            DiamondMAX 56k
            Logitech Wireless Desktop (best $50 ive ever spent)
            1 92mm Sunon Fan
            4 80mm Sunon Fan's
            <a href="http://www.tweak3d.net">www.tweak3d.net</a>

Comment

It's not a flaw in the g400 chip... it's not the drivers. It's the fact that glquake uses a very obsolete way of going about multitexturing. Not only that but glquake's code hasn't changed in about 2 years. I guess matrox could make a workaround, but why change or add some "hack" to a whole ICD just for one game? If you've been following this forum in the past few months you would find out that TurboGL users do not experience the rainbow effect at all. If you don't care about the dynamic lighting rockets spew off or muzzle flashes cause then go to quake's console and enter "r_dynamic 0". Personally, I don't miss it. You also gain more framerate by doing this anyway. You won't see anymore rainbow textures... and MURC will be rid of one more glquake whiner, hopefully.

Comment

I have been playing quake 2 since the original opengl implementation, only had the rainbow colour efects in the wrapper and first first opengl beta, but going to the main menu and changeing res (and back again if necessary ) fixed the problem.
                Haven't seen that problem with quake 2 or 3 in any 5.XX version.
                BUT, I am only using a G200@212(sgram tweaked,win98), I always play at 512x384x16bit res with all graphics features off. (average 40+ FPS in Q3, will go down to 26 during extreme action)

Also managed to get quake 2 to work in windows 2000,(started off with extremely corrupted screen, but it improved when I set all low graphics detail setting and enabled vsync)
                NOGO with Q3 and win2k, starts, but freaks at the main q3 menu.

mandrake 6.1 linux Q2 aint to bad either.

Celery 450,g200@212,PC100 64mb sdram
                triple boot w98-PD5.41/w2000-PD5/linux

Comment

Absalom, please, check your facts first before saying that the problem is in GLQuake/GLQW.

1. Lets take a quote from GLQW's documentation..

-clipeti clip-

GL_SGIS_multitexture
                  Multitextures support allows certain hardware to render the world in one
                  pass instead of two. GLQuake uses two passes, one for the world textures
                  and the second for the lightmaps that are blended on the textures. On some
                  hardware, with a GL_SIGS_multitexture supported OpenGL implementation, this
                  can be done in one pass. On hardware that supports this, you will get a
                  60% to 100% increase in frame rate. Currently, only 3DFX dual TMU cards
                  (such as the Obsidian 2220) support this extension, but other hardware will
                  soon follow.

This extension will be autodetected and used. If for some reason it is not
                  working correctly, specify the command line option "-nomtex" to disable it.

-clipeti clip ends-

Let's do a list shall we?

1. Ok, tried with -nomtex option with GLQuake and GLQuakeWorld. The problem still exists.

2. PD5.xx-series have NEVER supported multitexture with G200 (dunno about G400). So, the problem isn't multitexture.

3. Why all other cards (nVidia, 3Dfx, add-name-here) work properly and with multitexture?

4. If G200 would do multitexture and -nomtex would fix the problem, wouldn't that suggest that the problem would be in the drivers as other cards work just fine?

5. If TurboGL doesn't have the problem, maybe it's been fixed in it. Though G200 and P2/K6 users can't use TurboGL, so that's not a solution. Maybe Matrox will donate us G400's and P3/K7's to fix this problem? Don't think so.

6. I myself have seen this problem in past with Quake 2/Half-Life too, but it has been fixed long ago. But the GLQuake issue still remains.

7. Original Team Fortress is only available to Quake 1 and that's why I and many others want this bug fixed. Not everybody like TFC.

8. Also the rainbow effect can be a performance hit, even if it doesn't show up with other games. That's why it should be fixed.

9. It's a bug and a known one. And all known bugs should be removed (if possible).

10. GLQuake/GLQW isn't that old game. Even iD Software is planning to release new versions of them on Linux to support the Mesa/GLX API more better. So, if iD is still supporting them, why shouldn't Matrox?

Enough ranting just for a stupid bug that should just be fixed,

-Tumu

------------------
                  Celeron 333 (not overclocked), GigaByte 6BXE Intel 440BX AGPset (bios v3.3),
                  64MB PC100 RAM, G200 AGP 8MB SGRAM (not overclocked, a fan, bios v2.6),
                  PD5.41, SB16 Value, 3COM Fast EtherLink XL, Sony Multiscan 100ES, HP8210i
                  Win95OSR2.1 finnish

Celeron 333 (not overclocked), GigaByte 6BXE Intel 440BX AGPset (bios v3.4),
                  64MB PC100 RAM, nVidia TNT2 32M (was G200 AGP 8MB SGRAM), SB Live! Value LW3.1, 3COM Fast EtherLink XL, Sony Multiscan 100ES, HP8210i
                  Win98 finnish

Comment

Working...
                  X