Quake 3 and G400 Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quake 3 and G400 Questions

First off, very new at this so don't beat me up too much. This post will, I'm sure, be spotted with dumb questions. Oh well, gotta learn sometime.

Ok, first question...How do you know if you are running with the Turbo GL drivers in Q3A? When I go to System Options for setup, I get two choices, Default and Voodoo. Nothing about Turbo GL. (I have installed the latest drivers from Matrox...at least I think I did.) As far as the GL Extentions, I have tried both ON and OFF. I'm asking these questions because I just don't think I am getting what I should be getting out of the G400 MAX. AND, I am locking up pretty often in Multiplayer Mode. I've recently learned how to get fps rates during game which I feel is not what it should be. Seeing as low as 17 fps and not much higher then 30 something. I've tried just about every combination in the settings without much success. I guess I was kinda hoping that someone could suggest optimum settings for me and any other suggestions and ideas.
    Also, is there a timedemo test that you can run from the console in Q3A like I did in Quake2 to to show performance??

A quick take on my system: PIII 500, 256 ram, G400 MAX dual head (da! of course!) Sound Blaster Live, WD 18.1 HD, Creative Encore 6X DVD drive, and viewing in all it's glory, a ViewSonic 21PS monitor (.25mm Ultra Fine). I am running Q3A in the 1024 X 768 video mode. Have tried lower settings without and improvements.

Sorry if this is sort of long and any help will be greatly appreciated. I'm sure I left something important out but figure this is a start. Thanks

Update to my post...I found out about the timedemo 1 and demo demo001 and ran it. It says "1346 frames, 55.3 sec, 24.1 fps) Not what I was expecting, not good, right?

Comment

If you installed the drivers before you installed the game, then TurboGL is most likely not installed.

Select Default OpenGL.

Before you do anything else, switch the resolution to 800x600. Change the color depth and texture quality to 32-bit. After you apply the changes, go back to that menu. At the bottom of the menu, click on or select "Driver Info" (or something very much like it).

You'll get a bunch of stuff about the drivers. If TurboGL is installed, it will say "TurboGL." If you find it, you're OK. If you don't, it's probably not installed.

Please make sure you are in 800x600/32-bit before you exit the game or it will be big trouble. You must exit the game at this resolution and color depth, because you must enter the game with these settings after TurboGL is installed.

Exit the game. *Right* click on the PowerDesk icon in the system tray at the lower right hand corner of your display. A menu will pop up.

Select TurboGL Manager.

After TurboGL Manager opens, hit the "Scan" button. TurboGL Manager will search through your hard drives looking for supported games.

The games will be displayed using colored fonts. There is a key towards the bottom which explains what the colors mean. You'll be able to tell where TurboGL is installed and where it isn't.

Check off the games you want to use TurboGL with (there's a "select all" button) and click on "Install Driver."

Boom! You're done.

Again, before you install TurboGL, do what I said about choosing Default OpenGL, 800x600 resolution, and 32-bit color depth and texture quality. From now on, until Matrox or ID fixes this bug or you uninstall TurboGL, you must exit and enter the game with these settings.

If you don't, well, we'll all know.

Paul
      paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

FYI: With the new Matrox drivers and the release build of Q3A, I do not have to exit in 800x600/32-bit mode - works fine in all modes.

--Mark

Comment

You're a braver man than I am. I was too scared to try it.

Paul
          paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

A question is never dumb.
            Thought you should know.

Can somebody (all) look at my post?
            "benchmark on PIII500 + MAX?"

Thank you!
            In case it's a harware problem:
            PIII-500@560, 256 MB, G400 MAX DH on, ABIT BH6, MX300
            Win2K drivers: 5.52

Comment

Paul
              Thanks very much for taking the time to help. I did everything exactly as you said. Scanned in Turbo Manager and the Turbo was not installed. Installed after settings fixed in game. Installed succesfully.....BUUUUUUUUUUTTTTTTTTTT...now when I start the single player game, it locks up immeadiately. Tried 4 times, same thing. Getting a little frustrating. Any other suggestions greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Comment

I'm at work and about to go home. Off the top of my head:

If you have a Voodoo board of any kind in your system, you should remove it as there is a conflict with TurboGL. In addition, if you have any Voodoo drivers or registry entries, they will have to go as well.

Try openning your AGP aperture in your BIOS to 256 MB, if you haven't already done so.

What version of Liveware are you using? (Although, I suspect you would have noticed problems with this before if you were using older drivers. Soundblaster Live drivers before 2.1 don't get along with the G400.)

I haven't had any problems with Q3 and the TurboGL driver, although I've had some minor issues with the ICD.

Paul
                paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Working...
                X