Half-Life problems with G400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Half-Life problems with G400

I have a 16Mb G400 OEM (5.31 drivers), Celeron 466, Abit BM6 mobo (440BX), Win98SE and a 128Mb DIMM (unbranded, 66MHz).

When I start up Half-Life and click on my last saved game, the computer will sit and do nothing at all (no disk activity, nothing - you'd think it had locked up) for about 20 seconds before bringing up the loading screen. Is this normal?

Gameplay is usually fast and smooth, but I'm getting significant slowdowns when there are lots of small items on the screen at once (such as when you break open a very large crate, or set off a pile of explosive crates). Is this to be expected, even with a G400 and a 466 Celeron?

Finally, the game *always* crashes with major display corruption when I try and exit it, so I can only do quicksaves - if I try to ESCape back to the menu and save from there, it will either crash as soon as the menu reappears, or when I try to go back into the game.

I've also found that my system will not run stable in G400 bus-master mode *unless* I'm running something that uses hardware 3D (and even then it'll always crash when I exit out of it).

Any help gratefully received!
Working...
X