Half Life + ESC + Resume Game = Screwed up graphics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Half Life + ESC + Resume Game = Screwed up graphics

Has anyone seen this before? And if so, how did you fix it?

When I'm playing Half-Life (TFC or regular game) and I press escape to get to the main menu, when I go to resume the game, I get goofy graphics - I get two screens of the game, side by side, taking up the top 1/3 of the screen - the colors are all screwed up, but I can tell it's the game screen. Also, on the bottom 2/3 of the screen, it looks like the main menu, again with screwed up colors.

If I exit the game completely and go back in, everything looks fine.

I'm running D3D, 1280x960x32 (desktop is the same).

P3 550
    G400
    128M
    PIII 550@605
    IWill Motherboard VD133
    VIA Chipset
    512MB PC133 CAS2 Crucial
    G400 DH 32MB (6.51 Drivers)
    DirectX 8.0a
    SB Live! Value
    8x DVD (Toshiba)
    6x4x24 CDRW (Sony)
    Intel Pro/100+ NIC
    3Com CMX Cable Modem
    Optiquest V95 19"
    HP 812C Color Ink Jet
    Microtek flatbed scanner
    Intellimouse Explorer
    Surround Sound w/two subwoofers
    AND WAY TOO MANY GAMES!!!

Yeah, mine does that too sometimes when I use D3D. At least the new drivers (5.41) solved the shimmering decal problem when using OpenGL, so I don't have to use D3D anymore. On the other hand though, HL Opp Force crashed bigtime on me, Hosing my win98 and crosslinking half of the files on my gaming partition . Sometimes ya gets the bear, and sometimes the bear gets you.

------------------
    'scuse me while I kiss the sky
    'scuse me while I kiss the sky

Comment

Heres the solution.. at least it works for me..

What I do is press Done until I get to the last menu and I can quit the game. Then, I go back to Counter Strike, etc. The screen will stay small but when you click on a game or start it will return to normal.

CB
      Abit BX6 Rev.1
      Celeron 366A PPGA @ 566, 2.1v
      192 meg RAM, CAS2
      13.0 gig Maxtor 4320 HD
      6.0 gig Maxtor (in removeable drive bay)
      HP8110i 4x2x24
      Pioneer DVD-104
      SB Live! 1024
      USB ZIP 100
      G400 32MB DH 5ns RAM at 187/211
      Two KDS 17" Trinitron monitors
      YAMAHA HTR-5140 Reciever

Comment

Why are you using D3D? Go Win98 and use the TurboGL! D3D is awful compared to the TurboGL. Hell, use the REGULAR ICD, but avoid D3D like the plague.

HL and OppFor run fine on my Athlon and G400 MAX. The PIII, I use the V2 SLI rig.

Just my $0.02

------------------
        Primary System: Athlon 550, MSI 6167 mb w/BIOS 1.3, 3x128MB PC100 ECC SDRAM CAS2, G400 MAX in multi-monitor mode, Two Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 900u monitors, Intel Pro/100+ Management Adapter, SoundBlaster Live!, DeskTop Theater DTT2500 DIGITAL Speaker System (Sweeeeeet!), WDC WD20 5AA 20GB HD, WD AC310100 10GB HD, Toshiba SD-M1212 6x DVD-ROM, HP 8100i CD-RW, Epson Stylus Pro, OptiUPS PowerES 650, MS SideWinder Precision Pro USB joystick, Gravis Xterminator gamepad (no DX7 drivers yet), Logitech 3-button mouse, Mitsumi keyboard, Win98 SE, Belkin OmniCube 4-port KVM, 10/100 5-port Linksys Ethernet switch, Epson 1200u scanner, Epson Stylus Pro printer, Logitech QuickCam Pro with the little stand and the lense kit (cool).

Secondary System: PIII-450, Soyo 6BA+ IV, 1x128MB PC100 ECC SDRAM CAS2, Millennium G200 AGP, V2 SLI rig, Intel Pro/100+ Management Adapter, SoundBlaster 32, WD AC41800 18GB HD, Creative Dxr3 DVD decoder card, Hitachi GD-2500 6x DVD-ROM, Win98 SE

Tertiary System: PII-266, Asus P2B BIOS 1008, 1x128MB PC100 ECC SDRAM CAS2, Millennium II, 3Com 3C905, 3Com 3C509, ADSL Modem 640kbit down/90kbit up, Mylex BT-930 SCSI card, Seagate 2GB Hawk, Seagate 1GB Hawk, Quantum DLT 4000 tape drive, NEC 6x CD-ROM, Linux distro S.u.S.E. 6.1 (IP Masquerade works!)

Quaternary System: Ocean Rhino 9 motherboard w/Intel 430HX chipset, P200MMX, 4x64MB EDO Parity RAM, Millennium II, 3Com 3C590, SoundBlaster 16 MCD, Fujitsu 3.5GB HD, WD 1.2GB HD, Haven't chosen an OS yet.

And a JetDirect EX print server that bootp's its address from the Tertiary System.

All specs subject to change.

-The pessimist says: "The glass is half empty."
        The optimist says: "The glass is half full."
        The engineer says: "I put half of my water
        in a redundant glass."
        The pessimist says: "The glass is half empty."
        The optimist says: "The glass is half full."
        The engineer says: "I put half of my water in a redundant glass."

Comment

Absolutly! HL is an OGL game...and with that rig, and the turboGL drivers, there is no reason not to use OGL...
          Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

I wasn't using OGL because it would lock up my machine.

I installed the new drivers and can now run in OGL - display problems described above now solved.
            PIII 550@605
            IWill Motherboard VD133
            VIA Chipset
            512MB PC133 CAS2 Crucial
            G400 DH 32MB (6.51 Drivers)
            DirectX 8.0a
            SB Live! Value
            8x DVD (Toshiba)
            6x4x24 CDRW (Sony)
            Intel Pro/100+ NIC
            3Com CMX Cable Modem
            Optiquest V95 19"
            HP 812C Color Ink Jet
            Microtek flatbed scanner
            Intellimouse Explorer
            Surround Sound w/two subwoofers
            AND WAY TOO MANY GAMES!!!

Comment

Hmm...main problem with opengl is that i have to turn off dual-head support and must reboot...if it would be possible to turn the second head off without rebooting i could live with it...hope the news opengl icd supports dual-head....does turbogl support dual-display? I have a celeron...

------------------

Comment

Kruzin: If I remember correctly you found a command for halflife that disables multitexturing or something similar which speeds up things quite a bit? I am also having that weird problem in d3d, OGL works flawlessly but the speed isn`t the best

------------------
                P2 400@533Mhz, 128 Mb PC133, IBM Deskstar22GXP 22Gb, Gigabyte GA-6BXE,Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Sound Blaster AWE32, Hansol 701p,TEAC 32x,USRobotics Sportster Flash 56,6 ,Win98 SE

Comment

woeba- you DO NOT need to reboot to use OGL. Just go to your display properties, and uncheck the "extend desktop to this monitor" checkbox. This will disable the second monitor without rebooting, and you will be able to use OGL. This is not a limit of the Matrox drivers or ICD, it is a Windows limitation. And yes...the TurboGL MCD will work with an extended desktop....

Erich- The command you are thinking of is:
                  gl_texsort "1"
                  Putting this command in your autoexec.cfg or opengl.cfg will give the game a HUGE speed boost....
                  Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Then how come I could use dual monitors and play Half-Life with the AGP Millenium G200??
                    Alex

Comment

Working...
                    X