Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4gb limit and avi_io

hi all...
    im trying to use the 4gb option in avi_io with my rrg but all i end up with is files that cant be read....
    does anyone know how to get 4gb mjpeg capture files to work? below is my sytem specs...
    PIII 450
    256mb ram
    4 * 9gb seagate cheetah u/w scsi hds
    win98se

Hi,

It's impossible to capture more than 2Gb in a SINGLE file. If you have appropriate software, you can capture more than 2 Gb, but it splits the capture into more than one file of UP TO 2Gb each. The beauty of AV_IO is that it allows you to specify the size of the files you want to use (for instance 640Kb would be useful if you wanted to archive each file to CDROM), and that there is no loss of frames between each file.

Comment

No, you can capture higher than 2 gig per file. Its called Windows98 SE. Friends say it will capture as high as 3.9 gig per file.

NT4 will go any size, yet you need to convert your hard drive to NTFS in order to do this.
      Marvel G200 8 Meg PCI

Comment

Apparently, there are ways to capture AVI files that are larger than 2 gig, but no-one seems to have found anything that will play them back. Maybe some day, but not yet...

Comment

I stand corrected

This was something that I didn't know (well it's a dull day when you don't learn something !)

Comment

...I might add that IMHO any program that captures an AVI larger than the video for windows (arrrrgggghhhh!) 2gig limitation is likely a matter of some kind of programming error.

Comment

Hi Jeff

Thanks for the flowers :-) In fact, I added the ability to avi_io to capture up to 4GB because the fileformat permit's it. Another reason why I did it is because the 'O' part of avi_io (now in pre alpha stage) definately will support files of up to the theoretical limit the fileformat offers (in other words I have a running developement version of avi_io that happyly playes back such files). Another reason was/is the ongoing rumor (or fact?) that a certain DirectX release permit's to playback such files with the media player.

elister

As far as avi files are concerned. No, you are wrong. The theoretical limit is 4GB because the fileformat is based on 32 bit pointers which give a theoretical maximum of 4GB.

all interested

It's clear that a filesystem which supports files of this size is needed to do so. I heard that with the right cluster size even FAT 16 partitions can hold files of 4GB in size. It's possible with FAT 32 and surely with NTFS. There's one thing with FAT 32 that a lot of people are not aware of. You can create really big FAT32 partitions, but there is NO WAY that you can create a file bigger than 4GB under FATx. If one needs to create a file bigger than 4GB under Windows then NTFS is the only way to go.

HTH

Markus

------------------

Comment

Gee, and I really was going to add: "...unless, of course, some programmer has put the feature in with the expectation of such a file being usable in the future...", but I didn't only because it seemed like a silly idea to me (oops!).

Comment

Markus, if you're listening, I've used AVI_IO and am very impressed -- it does what you say it does.

I do, however, have a couple of minor suggestions as far as the user-interface is concerned, it may be that you've already implemented them in a newer version. So, at the risk of sounding very petty:

1. Save the last window position on close.

2. I notice that 'Test Capture' must be run, presumably as some sort of calibration? Can these results not also be saved?

3. It would be nice to be able to scale the capture window x2, esp. when capturing 352x288 or so.

Anyways, keep up the good work!

Comment

Another note for markus
                    when using PAL (576 lines) on an 800x600 screen mode the status br is not drawn so can't tell how many dropped frames you have.

Comment

salacious

That's on the list - thanks.

Markus

------------------

Comment

Hi miker

I try to listen :-)

Thanks for your input. I will consider it.

Markus

------------------

Comment

Hi miker

I try to listen :-)

Thanks for your input. I will consider it.

Markus

------------------

Comment

i just took a look that the avi_io web page. i can not wait until the "o" is completed. i'm very much in need of back-to-back avi playback that works..(unlike the matrox vcr playback lists)...

Comment

Hi All,

I have a friend who has a Canopus Rex. He claims he can capture and playback .avi files up to 4GB in size with his setup. He cannot use files over 2GB in Ulead MSP, but he can use them in the Rex Edit program, supposedly.

FWIW...

Rick
                              http://www.Hogans-Systems.com

Comment

Working...
                              X