Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

q1/q2/q3/hl/UT...I cannot escape the problems!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• q1/q2/q3/hl/UT...I cannot escape the problems!

I have and use all of the aforementioned games. Hmm. I don't think it's a Matrox problem anymore (though my gamma is LOW LOW LOW in Quakeworld!), but I know of nowhere else to turn.

My problems are:

In all games, the machine is liable to spontaneously freeze. No reason, just freeze, permanently and effectively. This can happen 2 seconds or 2 hours after starting the game. I think the reason behind this is that Windows can't handle the fact that I have another hard drive connected that ISN'T win95 formatted (it's linux), but I'm starting to doubt that. Doesn't that sound like processor/video card overheating? Never had this problem before installing my new hard drive, but it does get hellishly hot. I don't care...it's 27 GB! ^_^

Second problem: I can get into GL games just fine. But if I try to LEAVE those games, or try to reset to any mode (including GL, which I'm in) in Quake 2, it hangs. Hmm.

Third problem: some 50% of the time, quake 2 (and only quake 2) presents a gray screen, then a gray screen with an hourglass, then a gray screen. Forever. Okay...

Fourth problem: UT likes to crash not only by hanging the system randomly, but often times after a match when it tries to switch levels.

I'm running a P2-400 with 128 MB RAM, Matrox Millennium G200 8MB, Powerdesk 5.41.008 (soon to be 5.30 if that damn stuttering thing doesn't fix itself), Maxtor 27 GB primary, WDC 10 GB slave, Windows 98/Redhat Linux 5.2 (don't know if it has those problems, I can't even get GLX compiled).

If anyone has any clue at all, I'd really like to know. Thanks...

-Kenjura
Working...
X