OpenGL Problem - stuck using software drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenGL Problem - stuck using software drivers

I am having great difficulty in getting OpenGL to run in anything other than software mode. I've tried every resource I can find, with no success.

I have a PII 333 128Mb with G400Max and Voodoo2 8Mb running Win98SE.

This is what I understand. (please correct me if I'm off track)

OpenGL32.dll is the windows default software opengl driver
    G400ICD.dll is the g400 opengl driver
    3dfxVgl.dll is the voodoo2 opengl driver.

I've tried the benchmark test "Tirtanium 1.6" and before the GL test warns me that it is running in software mode (exactly what it says I will put at the bottom) . In Quake2 if I try changing to the Default GL mode from 3dfx GL mode, it fails and goes to software. Tribes will go into GL mode but it is exceptionally slow (before going into the game the mouse moves at <1 fps, which I assume is also due to the MS Software OGL driver.

I got this OpenGL switcher program which basically backs up and replaces the OpenGL32.dll file with the other 2 specific ones, but then OGL isn't detected at all by tribes or the others... so I don't understand the point of this program at all..

Frankly I don't understand how OGL *should* work, I've always assumed that it should be very easy (just like DX.. upgrade it.. and it works..), but coming from a 3dfx gaming background, it seems that I have been a bit sheltered from OGL quite a bit.

DirectX in UT seems fine (-slightly- higher fps than my voodoo2, but better looking), I am using the 3dcontrolcenter program to ensure that I was using the G400 with that.. if only OGL was so easy!?!

Can anyone offer any tips/hints/information that could help me?

best regards
    -=- 00

**This is what is returned from the benchmark utility when attempted to run in OpenGL mode**

GL_VENDOR: Microsoft Corporation GL_RENDERER:GDI Generic
    It looks like You are using Open GL SOFTWARE EMULATION.
    SOFTWARE EMULATION is very slow and this program will
    not run properly. Try to get an Open GL hardware driver.
    Some Open GL hardware driver does only run in 16 bit modes.
    Check the driver and try to change the resolution.

OpenGL32.dll is the Windows OGL file. It MUST be in the windows\system folder, in it's original form (as well as GLU32.dll)

G400ICD.dll is the G400 ICD. It also belongs in windows\system.

If these files are not in place, OGL will not work.

You must also:
    be in 16 or 32bit color mode.
    have multi-monitor "extend desktop" turned off.

Then there is the TurboGL. This is an MCD, which goes in the game directories, and is also named OpenGL32.dll. This only works on P3s and K7s. Since you are on a P2, that is not an issue.
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

It looks like it was the Dualhead feature that it didn't like I think after all that.. should have guessed that OGL didn't have a clue about multimonitor support...

Thanks very much for responding so quickly!.. and clarifying my understanding of it all. I will need to know about TurboGL as I will be upgrading my processor soon (once I've paid off this Max ;-) .. so that info was also helpful!

best regards
      -=- 00

Comment

Kruzin, I have an Athlon and read your post about a turbo OpenGL32.dll. Do you know where I can obtain it?

Comment

It is included with the drivers (including the 5.41 released yesterday...).

When you install the drivers, it will detect the processor, and give you an option to install TGL.
          Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Working...
          X