• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unreal Tournament in 32bit probs...

Hi,
    UT jerks like hell in 32bit
    in 16bit its ok until someone steps on the screen then it jerks,
    i can run it supersmooth with only MINIMAL slow down with 16 bots in 1024x768 medium world textures and medium skin textures
    Its not that im complaining i love it

but i was just wondering if any one else has this prob or whether its just me???
    an underlying code issue perhaps..

i did think it was because my marvel only has 16mg, but Quake 3 performance runs fine at 32bit, full textures and everything

26-57 fps in demo1
    the performance doesnt grind to a halt like UT????
    anyone offer an answer????
    Windows XP Pro + SP1 - Pentium 4 3.1gig - 1024mg DDR 333 2 cas - Thermaltake Xaser Case - Parhelia 128 - 3x Phillips TFT Monitors - Audigy 2 Platinum - 6.1 surround speakers - RTx100 - 5 HD 7200rpm (420gig) - Pioneer A03 - Partridge in a pear tree

I am having the same problems. Why does the framerate drop to crap on a p3 500?!

Running powerdesk 5.30 with directX 7

My system
    ABIT Bh6 MB
    Pentium III 500mhz
    192 MB PC100 RAM
    13.5 GB IBM Deskstar HDD
    4.3 GB Seagate HDD
    Matrox 16MB G400 OEM
    Panasonic 5x DVD
    Yamaha 4x4x16 SCSI CD-RW
    3Com PCI Ethernet card
    Tekram DC390F SCSI Adapter
    Diamond Monster MX300 Sound

------------------
    Give me back my hand...
    Give me back my hand...

Comment

It's the 16 MB limit. UT is (still) pretty inefficient when it comes to texture management so it will depend on AGP transfers. Q3/GL is just more efficient when it comes to texture management.

Make sure you disable VSync and select double buffering instead of triple buffering, and use 16bitZ. With 16MB don't even think about 1024x768x32, even 32MB can hardly pull it.
      P3@600 | Abit BH6 V1.01 NV | 256MB PC133 | G400MAX (EU,AGP2X) | Quantum Atlas 10K | Hitachi CDR-8330 | Diamond FirePort 40 | 3c905B-TX | TB Montego A3D(1) | IntelliMouse Explorer | Iiyama VisionMaster Pro 17 | Win2K/NT4

Comment

I read on the unreal site, where it has a problem in 32bit, it stores duplicates of the textures you need so in effect trys to take up twice as much ram, could this be why even the 32mg doesnt manage it properly?

this problem was quoted for a tnt2 card but even still. couldnt this be what is happening to us???

Great game though isnt it :O)
        i just hope the bugs (like this) are ironed out for the retail version, oh scytale incidently. quake 3 is better at texture management? id buy that but i read in another thread to do eith agp texturing that quake 3 supposedly slows down like a slideshow when running in 32bit? the test was like that for me, but in the demo its fine. i get only 3 fps difference between my marvel and a MAX according to benchmarks ive seen in these forums

Even if its the 16mb limit i see no reason why it wouldnt run in the lowest res available with everything on low, but still
        Sweet game though :O)
        where is this matrox unreal servel you spoke of before, sure love to give you guys a game on my marvel and teach you what 16mg is all about :O)
        Windows XP Pro + SP1 - Pentium 4 3.1gig - 1024mg DDR 333 2 cas - Thermaltake Xaser Case - Parhelia 128 - 3x Phillips TFT Monitors - Audigy 2 Platinum - 6.1 surround speakers - RTx100 - 5 HD 7200rpm (420gig) - Pioneer A03 - Partridge in a pear tree

Comment

I'm afraid as well as happy that the double copy of textures problem is TNT specific - it's the TNT drivers keeping an extra copy in memory. The result is excessive disk trashing during game play - you'd certainly notice if this was the case.

To elaborate on the word of texture management - I can run Q3 at 1024x32/32 with highest detail and performance is still acceptable (30+) even when I get into a crowded fight. With UT I can't get above 800x32/medium, unless I'm willing to accept that my fps will drop from 60ish to below 20 as soon as a few players come into focus.
          And it's not like Q3 uses less detailed textures or models than UT, it just seems more efficient in handling those...

But... this has nothing to with wether I like Q3/UT better than UT/Q3. I love both. Q3+TGL is excellent, but UT rocks.

About the Matrox UT server - I think the girlz over there started wetting their pants after I posted the news. The box seems to have vanished from this planet... I haven't been able to check last week though because since last tuesday I've been fragless due to my wussy cable modem provider...
          P3@600 | Abit BH6 V1.01 NV | 256MB PC133 | G400MAX (EU,AGP2X) | Quantum Atlas 10K | Hitachi CDR-8330 | Diamond FirePort 40 | 3c905B-TX | TB Montego A3D(1) | IntelliMouse Explorer | Iiyama VisionMaster Pro 17 | Win2K/NT4

Comment

thanks, i feel better knowing it isnt just me having probs,
            what you descirbed is exactly my problem..
            and is it me but is 32bit darker for you?
            and i agree, apples and oranges
            im gonna have to test out q3 properly tonite :O)

Comment

Scytale:

"32meg can hardly pull it"

That's not even close to true. If it were, then we'd all be having problems running at 32bit. I'm zipping along at 1024x768x32bit with triple buffering on and all details maxed to the nuts and it FLIES. I think you guys need to look elsewhere for the source of your troubles. And you guys have better CPUs and more memory than I do. And I never had to tweak it to make it run this well. I only have a P3 450 /w 128megs /w plain G400 non-Max 32meg. There's something fishy with you guys machines/OS/whatever I think. I don't see many 32meg G400 owners in here with this problem.

The Rock
              Bart

Comment

ROCK,
                what OS do you use,
                i am on Win98SE DX7

Comment

Mine Rocks with everything MAXED....

Everything maxed at 1280x1024, 32bit, triple-buff, tri-linear filtering.... It Rocks!!!! As a matter of fact, I keep cranking up the resolution to try to make it slow down. Otherwise, I feel I'm not getting my $$$ worth.

PIII 500, Win98, DX7, G400 non-max, 128Meg, yada yada...

BTW Scytale, your double buffer suggestion on my Q3 problem, fixed it. Thanks Dude!!!

Comment

CMB:

Im the same as you: Win98SE with DX7. And I didn't tweak a thing when I installed U.T. except for turning triple buffering on and changing gfx details to high.

The Rock
                    Bart

Comment

Well I just re-installed my drivers....
                      exactly same
                      everything on high in 32bit is great
                      as long as im looking at a wall...
                      theres no hard drive accessing, so i dont know whats going on, except for that im looking at a slideshow :O(

Comment

how do you turn on tripple bufering?
                        just browsing over at Planetunreal
                        has revealed theres a patch out supposed to increase D3D performance and add tripple buffering, ect and more options to the menu screen,
                        what version of unreal Touranment are you running? i have the 348 version
                        i got it just after it was released a few weeks ago
                        what about you?

Comment

Hi guys. Rock, define 'flies' please. I'm talking about 'worst fps' figures (not avg, and using my own DM recording). Are you too?

CMB, I'm on 348 too (full, not the patch). This version incorporates the fixes you're mentioned.

Dude, pretty cool

Comment

When I say flies, I'm talking pure deathmatch play. I stick to Domination, and it never lags at all no matter how many people are in view, except for the odd bit of modem lag when my ping jumps to 400. Most times I hover around 250, which is playable. But of course, any good player with a 100-150 ping will murder me constantly. The only time I've seen U.T. really PUKE was during a rocket launcher only deathmatch. Next time I play, I'll turn on the FPS meter and see what it says. You guys seem to be saying that for you, it slows down as soon as 2 guys come into view. That doesn't happen for me. And I haven't recorded any demos yet. I'm waiting on the final game for benchmarks.

The Rock, who just had his a$$ handed to him by some guy named Agentx9; good game man.
                            Bart

Comment

hi again
                              i cant find optiosn to turn on/off tripple buffering or tri-liniear filtering?
                              also i cant find the advanced options in unreal.....
                              didnt it used to be oprions/advanced options?
                              i can find non now..

the rock, i sure wish i was getting your performance, if i listed everything my bios is set at, would you know what to change to increase performance....
                              the only thing i can think of is that ive got it set wrong, otherwise we should be getting around the same fps??

Comment

Working...
                              X