Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oh, no!!! DK2 with bump mapping looks aweful!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh, no!!! DK2 with bump mapping looks aweful!

Tell me what I'm doing wrong? I used the command line switches like it said in the readme, but the bump mapping looks terrible.

Well, the lava looks pretty decent, but the water really sucks. You can see the tile lines, and it... well, I can't even begin to explain what it looks like, but it sure DOESN'T look like in the pictures.

Bill
    People call me a computer god; I remind them that I am merely a minor deity...

I have the same problem ,the water stinks!! and I haven't seen the lava yet
    I'm running with the latest driver for the g400

Comment

Same here. I thought something wrong with my G400 Max card. Scare the hell out of me. Although when you running at 1024x768 the water is more acceptable but it just doesn't look like the screenshot that they posted.

Comment

Maybe I shouldn't be too concerned from what I see, but do all G400s support EBM? I have a 16mb dual head.

Comment

Yes, they do.

Comment

Bummer eh? I thought the LAVA was real cool but the disco water sucks.

When will I get some Bump map ????

Comment

No matter what you all say, I've just started downloading the patch. I simply must see what it looks like.

I mean, it's virtually the only game (besides "Drakan", "Wild Metal Country" and that other 3rd-person shooter) that has EMBM by now, so even if it sucks... I must see how much it sucks!!!

Perhaps I don't have as critical eyes as the rest of you (who am I kidding).
              MY COMPUTER SPECS:
              Intel P3-550MHz
              256MB RAM
              36GB Disk Capacity
              Marvel G400
              And a nice roomy 19"!!!
              And a quite comfortable "Logitech Mouseman Wheel" mouse

Comment

There must be a fix to this bumpmapped water, it can't be looking like this

Comment

All I can say is that i'm glad I finished DK2 before v1.6 patch came out.

As has already been said the EMBM is dire. I was expecting the same approach as others who have demos of EMBM i.e. 'Hey I can do EMBM, so i'm going to ram it down your throat, just in case you're blind'. But no what we have is water that looks like it was produced from a Spectrum and lava that looks like a shattered disco mirror ball.

EA/Bullfrog here's a handy hint. Instead of concentrating on introducing new creatures and playing around with EMBM, try concentrating on EMBM and playing around with new creatures.

------------------
                  Nigel

Any opinions expressed in the contents of this message and any file attachments, are my own.
                  Nigel

Any opinions expressed in the contents of this message and any file attachments, are my own.

Comment

Anyone able to get the -32biteverything or just 32 bit color working without all of the menu text disappearing. It worked fine on my tnt, but not on the G400. The smoke / fog look really crappy in 16 bit.

Thanks
                    Chris

Comment

The 32 bit option apparently runs ONLY on TNT chipset. Nice use of DirectX on this one... I thought version 1.6 would solve the 32bit problem. Let's wait 2 months for version 1.7...

------------------
                      Corwin the Brute
                      Corwin the Brute

Comment

Just installed the DK2 1.6 patch last night. Disco water is an apt term. Here's an idea, turn on the bump mapping for lava levels and off for water levels. In the first 8 levels I've played so far, I don't recall the lava and water present at the same time.

Lfan
                        P3-450@558 on ABIT BE-6, G400 DH (drv. 5.30), 256MB RAM, SBLive! Value, Win98 SE

Comment

After I have read many articles on how easy it is to program BM into a program I wonder who works for Bullfrog these days?

It still is a great game though...

[This message has been edited by LAMFDTK (edited 19 November 1999).]

Comment

Nigel:

I think they should be concentrating on *both.*

I think they have a crappy QA that didn't catch the fact that they forgot to bump-map the water! At least, that's what I think happened. There's no reflections and no bumps - only an *extremely* flat water tile with ugly coloring that, if blended with "bumpy" depth cues, would look just about right.

Bill

------------------

Comment

Just received this email after sending one complaining to EA/Bullfrog:-

'Hi Nigel please check our Webpage WWW.Dungeonkeeper.com
                              EMBM will be fixed in 1.7.

Sorry for the disappointment.

I am just off to the Matrox site to post something there now.

Thanks

Wayne Frost'

Its nice to see a software house that listens. Here's wishing v1.7 will be before christmas....

------------------
                              Nigel

Nigel

Comment

Working...
                              X