NFS High Stakes won't run

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFS High Stakes won't run

I am unable to get NFS:HS to run on my system. Installation proceeds normally but the program keeps asking for the cdrom to be inserted. The game disk is original and has had no problem on other system. Can someone please verify if this is a G400 Max problem?

Configuration:
    P3-450, 128M RAM
    G400 Max DH 32M (5.30 driver), Diamond Monster 2, SB Live Value
    Direct X 6.1
    Sony DDU220E DVDROM, Yamaha 6416 rewritable

The game refuses to run when the cdrom is instaled from either the SONY DVD or Yamaha CDRW.

Please help and thanks

This is more like a problem with the two CD-ROM drives. The dumb copy protection probably got confused when trying to find the drive.

There are several things you should try:

a) Run the EA Auto Updater and get the latest patch
    b) Try changing the drive letters of your CD-ROM drives (make it so that the DVD drive comes before the CD-RW)
    c) Grab a crack off the net and be done with it (in this case you won't be able to use any patches for the game that might come, except for the downloadable cars)

It isn't a problem with the G400, I have successfully played NFSHS on both of my PCs (one has a G400 32M SH, the other a G400 MAX).

Comment

when n f s h s asks for the cd rom their
      is usally only one way to fix it apart for cracks
      make shore that your cd rom u r using to install is the first one insyead of whatever
      else u might have eg dvd,burner etc
      i also had this problem when i installed norton virtual drive
      norton by defalt makes itself the first drive to be acessed so it had to go to play n f s h s
      anyway i hope u get it running it does look good on a g 400 max
      cya seven

------------------
      hell yeah i love this g 400 max
      hell yeah i love this g 400 max

Comment

Thank you all for the replies. NFS can only be run from the cdrom bearing the lowest drive number, AND placing an audio cdrom in another drive. I have ended up downloading the patcher from some warez site to counteract this stupdity of EA. Whoever programs the protection routine must have a brain the size of a pea!

Jim

Comment

I bought NFS HS right about the time it was released, and I just couldn't get it to run. I have a Creative Labs DVD-drive and it just didn't like the EA copy protection. I have had similar problems with other EA titles (but they would eventually start after several attempts), but this just wouldn't. I then tried it on my younger brothers system (he has a Creative Labs DVD-drive and a HP-8100 CD-Writer) and it wouldn't run on his system either. My system only had the DVD-drive (no other CD-ROM/DVD-drives)!

However, I found a solution. I went back to the shop and swapped it for another game ("Mech Warrior 3").

What I'm saying is, if EA wants to have this copy protection in their games that doesn't work on all DVD-drives, they obviously doesn't care much about their potential customers!!!

MY COMPUTER SPECS:
          Intel P3-550MHz
          256MB RAM
          36GB Disk Capacity
          Marvel G400
          And a nice roomy 19"!!!
          And a quite comfortable "Logitech Mouseman Wheel" mouse

Comment

Enigma,
            A good friend of mine has a Pioneer DVD drive and on his system NFS:HS works fine.

It might not be EA or NFS:HS that causes the trouble, but the two probably identical DVD drives you talk about: Creative Labs DVDs...

Did you ever look at CL's website for a solution, or asked their Tech-help??

If not, don't say EA did it !!!

------------
            Jim Lee,
            Did you ever go through the 'trouble' of looking in the Windows-registry to see if it was reverting to you CDROM-drive??
            For you could have easily changed it in the Win-registry... (Instead of d/ling a (massive?) patch.

Jorden.
            Jordâ„¢

Comment

Working...
            X