Asus 3800TVR question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asus 3800TVR question

I'm currently using an Asus 3800-TVR TNT2 card. It has video capture but not video output so that would be aproblem when the time comes to output my animation. I have a few questions. I'm not really good with the the technical aspects of video editing.

1. What are my options for outputting besides giving it to a friend who has video output?

2. Is it possible to install another video card with output capabilities?

3. If so, will there be potential IRQ conflicts with windows?

thanks.

Other than using your friend you have two choices:

1. Get a card that can do captures and TV-Out at full video resolutions and with hardware acceleration of the video compression.

A combo card that does these and also includes a fast display adapter is a plus. The new Marvel G400 is such a combo device. The AIW Pro is not.

2. Get a TV-Out adapter box. This is an external device that would plug into your VGA port. It would provide a passthrough for the monitor to plug into and a composite video out for a VCR or TV monitor. This would generally be cheaper but give lower quality results than #1

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Thanks for the tip Dr. Mordrid.

I think I'll go with #2 because I can't just get rid of my 230 dollar card. I have a few more questions that I hope this forum can answer.

1. I have my monitor plugged into the DVD decoder card. Would I have to plug the monitor into the TV-output box in order for it to work?

2. How much worse is it outputting the video through the box in terms of quality?

3. Since win 98 can support 2 video cards, can't I just get a video card just for video output?

Comment

Well I would not want to contradict you, but i had an ASUS TVR-3800 TNT2 card 2 months ago at it had tv out for sure. I actually returned it cause the tv out quality was not good enough for my needs... double check this, but unless they have changed their design, you should have tv out.
        ---
        Pat

Comment

I see you already have TV output capabilities.
          Your DVD card is capable to play mpeg video on TV.
          So, you can try to make final video in mpeg 1 or 2 format. MPEG is the best quality/size ratio format available. You can try to get free (slow) bbmpeg encoder, or doewload demo version of LSX encoder to see how the video will look on TV.

If you have fast system, you can capture in RGB with software MJPEG codec from www.morgan-multimedia.com. The codec is fast enough to capture at 352x240x30 fps in realtime on PII (celeron) 300 of faster CPU. MJPEG compression will reduce the file size from 8 MB/sec to 1-1.5 MB/sec without quality drop. This may greatly improve your video capture/editing capabilities with zero cost.

Grigory

Comment

The morgan m-jpeg codec software sounds great. Here is my question. Lets just say I have an avi file already finished in premiere. Do I use the morgan codec to compress the file? Or do I use it to capture the already finished avi file?

Comment

You can use morgan codec for video capture. It helps to reduce the file size and disk performance requirements.

You can edit captured video in morgan MJPEG codec, until you get finished video.
              Then, you can use any of mpeg1 or mpeg2 encoders to make mpeg file that is playable on TV screen with your dvd/mpeg2 card.

Going this way you can prepare good quality video and show it on TV.

I agree that hardware MJPEG capture card like Rainbow Runner G series AND Matrox G200/400 will give you better video editing capabilities, but they cost money.

If you are satisfied now with what you can do on exisxting card, morgan codec will help to make your editing easier.

The codec is not good for distribution or file exchange because it has to be installed on another machine, and because the file size is much bigger than for mpeg.

Another option is to try to capture with MPEG4 compression. Fast (450+) CPU can do this in realtime. You may have problems with lower quality after editing.
              Mpeg4 avi files are comparable to mpeg1 in quality and may have even less datarate. So, Mpeg4 format is also good for distribution.

Remark: all my digits are for 384x288@25 FPS video. If you actually need less pixels per second, everything I wrote will work much better.

Grigory

Comment

Working...
              X