Problems With PDesk 5.XX with G200 on Half-Life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems With PDesk 5.XX with G200 on Half-Life

Is it just my imagination or has the performance in half-life gotten progrssively worse as the drivers get so-called "Updated." I used to get about a playable 20FPS on mutiplayer with PDesk 4.51 on the BETA ICD, but now, I cannot even maintain a decent 15 FPS! What's worse? The frame-rates get progressively slower as I play in a server longer! After about 20 minutes of play time, the game gets reduced to an intolerable <10 FPS! By then, I have to quit and restart Half-Life. Other symptoms included with this problem is VERY CHOPPY sound along with the unacceptable frame-rates. I also tried hosting my own server (To make sure that lag wasn't contributing to the nasty frame rates) and sure enough, the game started out smoothly, but after 10 minutes of practicing rocket/concussion jumping, the frame rates began to slow down drastically, ending at <10 FPS after 20 minutes.

Direct3D works okay, I guess. I can go about 60 minutes before it too slows down to unacceptable rates. They fixed many of the bugs, but they introduced another one. I can no longer see the score list during the game. They just appear as blocks.

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks in Advance.

System Specs:

PII-300MHZ
    ASUS P2B-D /W BIOS Ver. 1010 (LATEST)
    256 PC100 RAM
    Matrox Millenium G200 AGP /w 8MB SGRAM
    SoundBlaster Live! Value
    Western Digital 38400 Caviar 8.4GB
    Mitsumi 32X CD-Rom
    Adaptec AHA2940 Ultra SCSI Controller

BTW, I had this problem BEFORE and AFTER I did a full system reformat. Another note of attention: My SWAP FILE SIZE is set to 100MB MAX/MIN (So the size doesn't automatically change.) Could this be the culprit?

What drivers are you using? 5.xx is not specific enough. Sounds like you are running 5.30. Try 5.25.
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Yeah, I already know about that....... 5.25 is a bit faster, but not by much. 5.13 and 5.25 had little difference. I currently use 5.30 and it is one major disappointment. I am really annoyed how the newer drives seem to reduce the G200's performance.

4.51 has many bugs, but the speed was much better.

Comment

Working...
      X