Halflife crashes!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Halflife crashes!

im having great problems with HL! I can run it for a while but after 5-15 minutes the game crash and i have to use the resetbutton to get my computer to work again.
    I know that you might allready solved my problem, but i have searched the archive and found nothing. please help!

I dont know what u need to know about my system, but here are some

Intel PII 350 MHz
    64MB PC100 SDRAM
    17 GB HD
    ESS soundcard
    G400 16MB DH
    Windows 98
    PD 5.3

Are you sharing IRQ? Are you overclocking something? - crashes after running fine for a while may be overheating. It happen only with HL or with something else?
    Set the AGP aperture size in the bios to 128+, disable all video caching/shadowing.

Wich motherboard do you have? See if the card is properly seated. People complain about it in Abit boards, althought I never had a problem with that.

Comment

Have you set up your system swap file manually or does Winblows 'take care' of it ???

------------------
      Cheers,
      Maggi

Working Rig:
      Asus P2B-DS @ 103MHz FSB
      Double Pentium III-450 @ 464 MHz
      4 x 128MB CAS2 SDRAM
      Matrox Millennium G400 32MB DualHead
      Nokia 445Xi (21")
      Nokia 447Xpro (17")

Home Rig:
      Asus P2B-S Bios 1010 @ 100MHz FSB
      Celeron 333A @ 500MHz
      2 x 128MB CAS2 SDRAM
      Matrox Millennium G400 32MB DualHead @ 150/200MHz
      CTX VL710T (17")
      Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
      Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
      be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
      4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
      2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
      OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
      4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
      Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
      Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
      LG BH10LS38
      LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

How do i know if i share "IRQ"?
        Im not overclocking anything, so that shouldnt be the problem.
        It does often happend in HL, but sometimes (very rarely) in other games (AvP and Driver for example).
        I think i have a Gigabyte motherboard.
        How do i change my "agp-aparture"? I cant find anything like that in my bios. Do i have to upgrade it or something?
        My systemswap is set manualy at 300 Mb.

Hope this will help you to help me.

Comment

I might have fixed a few of the problems now. my computer crashed bigtime and i had to delete the windows directory and reinstal from scratch... but i havnt had time to check it yet, a few hundred other things to install first :P well, i will tell you if it worked.

btw, i disabled some video shadow thing in the BIOS, and that might have solved the problem as well.

Comment

Hi there

Hope your problem is solved, but anyway...

To see the IRQ´s assigned right-click on "my computer" icon -> properties -> device manager. G400 should be in an IRQ equal or higher than 9. There shouldn´t be any IRQ sharing.

AGP aperture size should be in the bios setup...

Comment

Hi Nuno

I cannot find anything in the BIOS saying something like AGP-aparture or anything alike. Do i have to upgrade my BIOS or cant i adjust that?

Comment

Burre: I have an Abit Bx6 with an Award bios. The AGP aperture setting is under "Chipset feature setup" or something like that.

Go to http://bxboards.com/biostips.htm to get an idea how it looks like.

What bios does your Gigabyte uses?

Comment

I also use Award BIOS for my Gigabyte motherboard. I have upgraded it ones, but it was several months ago. Should i try to find a new BIOS and hope i can set the AGP-aparture?

I have tried HL a bit now, and it seems good. I havnt played so much MP, where it hang most, so i dont know if it works properly yet :/

Comment

I just checked for BIOS upgrades, and the last is from feb.99 and i allready have it. and as i told you i cannot change the agp-aparture anywhere in it. does this meen i can never ever set my agp-aparture manually? should i try to download a BIOS for another motherboard than mine?
                    (I have a GA-686BX. check http://www.giga-byte.com/gigabyte-we...ts/ga686bx.htm if you wanna know more about it)

Comment

When you enter the bios menu what options are you given? I find it strange that in a modern, branded BX board with award bios there isn´t an AGP-aperture size option...

But after all, are your HL problems solved, or it still crashes?

Comment

you have to believe me... i dont have any agp-aparture settings... where do you have your agp-settings? what do you choose in the menu?

as i told you i dont know how good it works yet, since i have only one computer and it was in MP the problems was mainly..

Comment

I told you, it´s under Chipset Features Setup. It is right on sight when I enter the bios setup.
                          But of course, our motherboards are different, so that couldn´t be much of help...

Comment

It is working!!! I have played HL quite a lot, changing map all the time, and it is working just fine!!

Comment

Glad to hear that. If all is working fine, enjoy it and don´t worry with those bios settings...

Comment

Working...
                              X