G400, Design Flaw?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400, Design Flaw?

In trying to decide if I should go with the Max, from my G200 16. I found the review at 3Dlabs comparing the Max to some permedia card, Also I found a review at Ingava, who gave good marks to the card but listed alot of failed tests. I want quality image but I still feel screwed on my G200. so for now it looks like the sli stays!

I upgraded from V2 SLI, and I can safely say that the MAX is faster and has a much better image quality.

------------------
    System: P3@558 Vantec 5040 cooler, 128MB PC125 Ram, G400Max, V2 SLI (Currently out), HOT 661 MoBo, AWE64 Gold, 2940AU Scsi with 32x Reader and 4x4x16 Writer, Jaz and Zip, Card Cooler.

3DMark99 800x600 = 5765
    Quake 2 Timedemo1 = 103.9 fps

Primary System: Athlon 850, 128MB PC133 Ram, GeForce GTS 32DDR, Abit KA7 MoBo, AWE64 Gold, 2940AU Scsi with 32x Reader and 4x4x16 Writer, Jaz and Zip, Card Cooler.

Seconday System: P3 @ 560
    Tertiary System: Celeron 400

Comment

That 3dlabs test was a bunch of crap. Also alot of companies comming out with new cards tend to slam the G anyway they can, even by stating false information
      "640K ought to be enough for anybody."
      [Bill Gates, 1981]

Comment

Yep, I agree. The Permedia "comparison" was a big pile of FUD. (Fear, uncertainty, and doubt, for the uninitiated).
        Basically, you have to realize that the G400 is fundamentally a workstation card, or a gaming card, or a really really great 2D card, but its not a whole lot of use for the 3d modelling and CAD market, which is what the Permedia is good for.
        Since the G400's openGL has been tuned for gaming, of course its lacking certain professional features (Which are also missing in the TNT's ICD, etc).
        It's a very strange comparison. IMHO. I don't see the cards as directly competing. I see the market for the G400 as someone who is building a workstation and doesn't want a piece of crap video card, or somenoe who wants a great gaming card with tons of extra features, or someone with a 21" monitor who photoshops all day and needs a high refresh rate and great quality, etc etc, but I don't see it as suitable for (Advanced) work in say, AutoCad.
        You don't see Permedia comparing the two cards in gaming (as i recall, the permedia3 is slow as molasses in quake3), or in feature sets (dualhead? whats that!), or DVD playback, or general overall usefulness.
        Soooooo .... if you need a card to run 3dsMax, the G400 prolly won't suit your purpose, but for pretty much anything else, its hard to go wrong. The G400 16meg OEM singlehead is cheap enough that its a viable option for a lot of workstation class machines that don't want an S3 virge or somesuch defiling their innards =) (j/k, two of my servers have S3's in them :P)
        P3-450@558mhz@2.1v, ABit BE6, 128megs 7.3125ns PC133 SDRAM, SB Live! Value, G400 32meg Dualhead (@120%), Acer ALN-201 PCI 10bT NIC, 6.5gig Seagate Medalist Pro 7200rpm, 13gig Quantum Fireball CR, Yamaha 4416e Burner, Pioneer 10x DVD-ROM, Panasonic e70 17" Monitor, Antec KS-188 24" Tower, 6 year old Honeywell-SUH 101key Keyboard, Logitech Trackman Marble+

Comment

Working...
        X