Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intermediate Codecs

Hi Kelvin,

My suggestion is to get DVsoft DV codec for intermediate saves.

It was available as a part of Adaptec Hot connect drivers. Just install the drivers, and use only codec. This worked some time ago for me.

DV format has fixed width of 720 pixels (you have to take care about this with 704 pixels of MJPEG), but excellent quality at reasonable data rate. The codec is about the same fast for compression as Matrox software codec.
    You may need to take care about field order too. Moving to DV, I converted several files from Matrox MJPEG in DV without any quality degradation. I was also able to recompress this video at least once more.

Another way is to use Morgan MJPEG codec with 98-99% quality. The movie may be not playable by RR_G because of too high data rate, but the quality will be much better.

The difference between DV and MJPEG is in optimization of compression ratio inside one frame in DV, instead of using single compression level for entire frame in MJPEG. That is why it is possible to get much better quality in DV than in MJPEG at the same datarate.

You can try. If you cannot retrieve a cidec from Adaptec, I can try to find in my system and a dll to use.
    I assume this is not a piracy, because I downloaded this codec free from publicly available FTP.

Grigory

Intermediate Codecs

I frequently need to crop the bottom 4 or 5 overscan lines from my Hi-8 captures into the RRS before encoding to MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 with a stand-alone encoder. However, if I crop with MSP 5.2 VE and save to a separate AVI file (in MJPEG format), there will inevitably be some recompression losses.

Can anyone suggest a better intermediate codec to use for this (other than uncompressed, which takes up far too much space)? Or is MJPEG compression still the best way to go?

(Of course with bbmpeg I can crop during encoding... but since it only handles MPEG-2 I still need to crop with another utility first for MPEG-1 encoding.)

Thanks for the input,
    Kevin

Comment

Working...
    X