G400 and OpenGL freezing CPU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400 and OpenGL freezing CPU

I'm pretty new to this 3D video card stuff so please bear with me. I just bought and installed a G400 64MB dual head card (not the Max) and installed it into my machine and loaded the drivers on the CD that came with it (don't remember the version). I tried to play Half Life with the Default OpenGL option and after playing for about a minute or two, my machine froze. This happened a few times so I loaded the latest driver 5.30.007 and installed it but it is still happening. It also happens in SiN if I run it in Default OpenGL. While it is running, it looks perfect but after about a minute it hangs. Any help would be appreciated.
    System is:
    PII 266
    64 Meg memory
    Win 98
    Soundblaster 16 sound card
    SCSI Card (Scanner)

------------------
    ...but mamma, that's where the fun is.
    ...but mamma, that's where the fun is.

Well....first there's no such thing as a 64meg G400. 16 or 32

Next, it could be any number of things. First thing to check would be your IRQs. Go to your device manager, and list them out for us. It could be an IRQ conflict.

Next thing to check would be heat, since it only locks up after a few minutes of gaming. Try running with the cover off the system, and maybe a fan blowing into the case. If it runs like that, you need to improve the cooling in your case.

Another thing to consider is a hardware conflict. To be blunt, your system doesn't have the balls to be running a G400 . There could be motherboard problems (I'm assuming this is an LX based mobo, many of which have problems supplying enough current for the G400). Could be a conflict with anything in the box. Make sure you have the latest drivers for your mobo, sound card, scsi card, and anything else that might need updated drivers.

...wrapped up like a duece, another runner in the night, blinded by the light...

------------------
    P2-450(112*4.5=504), Asus P2B (1010), 128meg pc100, MillenniumG400 32meg DH (5.??), 3com 3c905b-tx, SB Live!value, Dual USR 56k Sporsters, WD 8.4&6.4 UDMA, CL PC-DVD, Mitsumi CD-RW
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Well it seems you are one of the (many) unlucky people who's G400 causes lock ups from time to time. There are a number of things you can try (See Kruzin's reply and check out the hardware forum)

What worked for me is the following:
      1) I unscrewed & pulled out the plate on wich the mobo is attached a few mm, to make my G400 fit properly. (Probably not necessary for you)
      2) I reinstalled Win98 with the 5.2 drivers
      3) I put an extra (pentium) fan behind the G400 so that it cools both sides of it.

I don't what really did it, but it works fine now, no more lock ups...not even at a bus speed of 83 mhz.
      EdSki

Comment

Working...
      X