G400 Max AOE2 and WW2F Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400 Max AOE2 and WW2F Problems

I just installed a G400 Max on my PII 450 with 128RAM running updated Win98, DX 6.1, and the Matrox 5.30 drivers.

Age of Empires II (Age of Kings) suffers random lock-ups after 30 minutes of play or so. The picture remains static and the sound works, but the mouse is gone and no Windows command responses at all. It takes a complete Win98 reboot to start all over again. What gives?

Also, Jane's WW2 Fighters gets a horizontal thin white static-looking line across the screen at times running at 1024 resolution. Didn't do that on my previous Viper 550 TNT.

Powerquest Drive Image 2.0 (a GREAT program to save and restore the C drive) runs in DOS mode. It worked fine with the Viper 550 on the MS mouse drivers that load on the floppy for DOS operation. However, the G400 Max does not recognize the MS mouse drivers, so mouse does not work, which makes the program choices useless.

Anybody got any help ideas? Is Matrox listening?

Yeah, I have the same problem running AOE2 with my G400MAX. I spent several days adjusting IRQs, reinstalling drivers, Win98, etc, with no success. In desperation, I tried a different video card (Creative Labs TNT2 Ultra). The new card worked fine!

Is Matrox aware of this problem, and is there a fix in the works?

Comment

Hey Guys, AoK is a sweet game. I have been playing it on my G400 Max without any lockups or issues at all. Good luck on finding your problem!!

Comment

Got these tips from <a href="http://www.ageofkings.com">AgeOfKings.com</a> for using command-line options. Edit the shortcut to AOE2 (Age Of Kings) and add either or both of the following as command parameters:

Msync (fixes lockups with SB-AWE sound cards)

autompsave (autosaves games every 5 minutes, so you don't lose 30 minutes play!)

I know this is probably not a solution to your problems, but they may help!

Comment

I use to have problems with the game slowing down and stuttering when I play up to around the same time as you do. After I let Windows manage my swap file instead of me making a set one, my problems went away. You might want to try that if you have your swap file on a set size.

I play on 1280x1024 and the game is pretty smooth and only slows down when there is a huge battle going on.

Also, Ensemble says they are looking into problems like these, so hold on if you can't get your problem fixed yet. As with all patches, it takes a while to come out.

Comment

WW2 Fighters works like a hot damn on my G400 reg32 meg. Hope you find the prob.

------------------
            AssuP2B ,iCeleron337, 128megs PC100, G40032megSH, Yamaha PCI sound, 2 small HD's, 42X Sony CDrom and 98SE w/shutdown patch, PD 5.30 w/beta ICD

AMD XP2100+, 512megs DDR333, ATI Radeon 8500, some other stuff.

Comment

I've been playing this game with my friend a lot and none of us encountered lock ups... Are your IRQ fine? have you tried disabling your sound card to see if it couldn't be related? How about if you disable Bus Mastering? Do you have an AMD? Got the patches is this is the case...?

Comment

Working...
              X