Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MSP: Question on inserting an A/V clip into middle of time line.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSP: Question on inserting an A/V clip into middle of time line.

I know it's probably easy to do, but I can't seem to figure out how to do this. I want to drop a clip into the middle of the time line (made up of multiple clips) and simply have all the clips that originally occurred after this point of insertion to move over.

There is some reference in the manual to Ripple editing. It sounds like it's supposed to do what I want, but it doesn't. What am I doing wrong?

Hi Patrick,

You are not doing anything wrong. Ripple editing doesn't do what most people expect it to do. Supposedly Ripple Editing will push everything over (like you want it to) if everything is all on the same line - i.e. everything is on Va or everything is on Vb. If your clips alternate back and forth between Va and Vb (and possibly V1, V2, etc.) then it doesn't work.

The only way I've found to do what you want is to change the time line scale to "Fit to Window" so you can see all your clips at once. Then you can press shift and click and drag to select all the clips to the right of where you want to insert. Then you can shift everything over as one big group. Then you can insert your new clip. Then go back and select everything again and drag it back to line up (or overlap, if you will be using a transition effect) the end of the inserted clip.

Rick
    http://www.Hogans-Systems.com

Comment

Thanks Rick, I don't feel quite so dumb now. Your method of dealing with this problem sounds fine. It's odd though that there wouldn't be a simple command to deal with a situation such as this, especially when it's something that comes up all the time.

I've posted another question about MSP. Maybe you can have a look at that one too...

Comment

Working...
      X