Nocturne: breathtaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nocturne: breathtaking

That's the only word that really covers it for this game. It looks amazing on the G400. I'm running it at 1024x768x32 on a P3-450 and I've never seen a game look as good as this one does. Fog, condensation of the player's breath as he exhales, real-time shadows, flashlight beams that look REAL and interact with fog, smoke, etc.... and oh yeah, gameplay is pretty damned good too.

The style of play reminds me somewhat of Alone in the Dark in that your character moves around in pre-rendered backgrounds, but the big difference is that all light in the scene interacts with your character and vice versa. I'm primarily an FPS player, so the control scheme took a few minutes to get used to, but now that I have it's very easy and enjoyable to play. I read some posts in the newsgroups where people complained about the switching from one scene to another as your character moves around, but on my setup the scene switching is so quick that I don't notice any delay.

This one's a definite keeper; highly recommended to action fans (and 30's monster movie fans!)
    System specs (well, everyone else is doing it!):

Asus P2B-F motherboard
    Pentium III 450, no overclock
    G400MAX/32DH, no overclock
    256 MB PC100 RAM
    SB Live Value
    Hauppauge WinTV PCI
    ReelMagic Hollywood+
    USR 56K ISA
    Win98 SE

The reason that there has been so much complaining is because this game runs the best on the G400 series. Voodoo and TNT1/TNT2 series owners aren't experiencing the same fps smoothness (just read the previous documentation). This game requires 32 bit for its visuals. The Voodoo series just received an upgrade patch to make it work in 16 bit.

Matrox G400 users enjoy this one. :>

Thanks,

Sean

Comment

Total agreement here on the amazing Nocturne graphics (fire, flashlight halo, flapping coat tail, etc.) Running it at 1024x768x32 bit on my P3 558, G400, 256 MB ram system. There is however, some clipping/z-buffer problems in some of the characters (on "Doc" Holliday for instance). I was wondering if anyone is experiencing these problems running Nocturne on their G400 rig? Also there are some collision problems in the game; no fault of the G400 of course

Lfan

[This message has been edited by lfan (edited 30 October 1999).]
      P3-450@558 on ABIT BE-6, G400 DH (drv. 5.30), 256MB RAM, SBLive! Value, Win98 SE

Comment

Working...
      X