Tribes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tribes

While I am working on getting Tribes to be patched so it will run well on the G400, I am looking for another video card so I can finally play this game besides using software mode.

As has been said before Tribes only runs well with a 3dfx card or a TNT2. I am not looking to spend much money and this card will mostly be used only for Tribes. My choices are basically a overclocked VooDoo3 2000 or anoverclocked (most likely Creative Labs) TNT2 vanilla. Both cost about $70.

Since I already have a G400 in my AGP slot, a PCI VooDoo3 2000 sounds like a great choice, because I can have both cards in my system. If I choose a TNT2 I might have to take out my G400 since I only have one AGP slot. So does the VooDoo3 2000's Glide in Tribes look good/better/worse then a TNT2 with OpenGL? I *think* in Tribes the VooDoo3 Glide can only goto 800x600 and the TNT2 OpenGL can goto 1600x1200 (although it probably cant run it that high). So which would be a better choice? The VooDoo3 is nice since i can keep my G400 in my system, but im not sure whether the TNT2 has better quality graphics in Tribes. Please help!

Thanks,
    A Tribes Player

Voodoo2 12meg hands down...and you should be able to find one on pricewatch.com for under $100

Comment

Hmm ok. Why VooDoo2 when a VooDoo3 2000 is not that much more? Just wonderin.

Comment

Many places are selling Voodoo2s in the 30-50 $ range these days. Not long ago, you could order them from both Diamond and Creative direct for $30.

That would be the cheapest, easiest way (or give up on Tribes ).
        Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Kruzin and Profit are right. Not only the fact that V2's should be so cheap, but because they're meant to be used with another 2D or 2D/3D accelerator you don't have to go through the hassle of setting up Win9x's multimonitor mode to handle them, and you need only one monitor connection (which you don't have to switch out between the game and desktop). AND Tribes looks sweet on a V2- after all, Glide is the Tribes native API. I can't say anything about the TNT, as I got Tribes after I had replaced mine.

One other thing- Tribes is old enough that the general performance of the game is high enough that the V3 and V2 don't really show much difference in that area.

------------------
          Ace
          "..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
          Gainward Ti4600
          AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment

Ok. I can get a 3dfx Voodoo2 1000 12MB for $50 after rebate (including next day delivery). I can't find a VooDoo3 2000 PCI in stock for a good price (and the places that did seem to have crazy shipping charges). So can the VooDoo2 that I found run Tribes at 800x600 in GLide? I don't think Tribes can go higher then 800x600 in GLide. I only have a lil bit of time to order so a quick answer would be MUCH appreciated! Thanks!

Comment

Short answer: yes!

In fact, until the latest 5.30 drivers for the G400's, I was using an AOpen V2-12MB for Tribes in 800x600 resolution. Go for it!

------------------
              Ace
              "..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
              Gainward Ti4600
              AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment

I also, have been a long-standing Tribes-whiner. After I got me a Monster 3D Voodoo2 for $70-odd at ebay, Tribes looks the way it should. I have to echo the fact that, as a daughter-board essentially, the V2 does install easily.. I had no problems at all, and the two boards [G400 AGP also] coexist happily with no conflicts.

Highest res is only 800x600, though. *s*

I'll also note I'm still using the 5.25 drivers set, though, since many threads about conflicts with the 5.30 have been deleted... so, rather than tempt fate....

~Godzilla:~
                • ASUS P2B-LS motherboard, BIOS rev.1010;UW/SCSI o/b
                • Intel P-III 500 mHz; 64 megs PC-100 RAM
                • Millenium G400MAX AGP w/Powerdesk 5.25
                • and
                • Diamond Monster 3D {Voodoo2 12 meg}
                • NEC E1100 20" monitor
                • 6.5 gig UW/SCSI HD
                • SB Live! w/ current driver set {October}
                • WACOM artpad-II and generic mouse
                • SCSI scanner, JAZ drive, printer, yada yada
                • WIN95 OSR2, still going!
                • 2 dogs, 5 cats, 2 ferrets, iguana, box turtle, various fish, 3 tarantulas

Comment

Ooh!
                  I meant 800x600 res in Tribes only, sorry!

------------------
                  • and
                  • NEC E1100 20" monitor
                  • 6.5 gig UW/SCSI HD

• and
                  • NEC E1100 20" monitor
                  • 6.5 gig UW/SCSI HD

Comment

Working...
                  X